Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gestures with latest firmware

TheCyberKnight

Join
Jul 19, 2017
Loc
Canada
The latest Spark firmware (600) fixed a lot of things, including Gestures that were completely non-functioning after FW 500.

Meanwhile, I discovered that the gesture to start a video NEVER works. It's the only one that consistently fails.

Anyone has the same behavior?

Reactions: Kilrah
It seems to only work when one arm is nearly straight up. The 45 degree angle has never worked for me.

I havn't been able to get it to work either. Does it mater which arm you use. I've only tried my right.

Circle always worked for me. That hasn't changed. Helix now orbits correctly. Rocket was hit or miss keeping subject centered, now works every time. Dronie would go out but only gain about 2 or 3 feet altitude, now works as advertised.

Circle always worked for me. That hasn't changed. Helix now orbits correctly. Rocket was hit or miss keeping subject centered, now works every time. Dronie would go out but only gain about 2 or 3 feet altitude, now works as advertised.

OK. What about the "start video recording" gesture after you palm-launched and "wave goodbye" the Spark?

Luckily, it seems I'm not alone. I will report this issue on the DJI forums to make sure they address it.

I'd like to say that I feel the newest firmware definitely took care of a ton of issues. It seems now we have the Spark that we were promised. It seems though that there were still a few minor problems. Namely video in gesture mode. Well there are a bunch of us that figured it out. To start a video in gesture mode, the Spark has to be close. I mean close enough to initiate palm control. Once it is, take a half step backwards slowly so the Spark doesn't try to follow you back. Then give the gesture described. You'll see the front lights go out like when you press the video button. When you see that, wave at it. It will go back and up to about 12 feet or so and start active tracking you while recording. When you're done, use the beckon gesture to bring it back in, give it the video gesture again, and it will stop recording. I've tried it a bunch of times and it works like a charm. I also noticed that the other quickshots were most definitely fixed now. Tried dronie this morning and it went back and up and stoped where I wanted and then came right back. The circle me worked great. Even helix was better than ever. I even figured out precision landing and got it to do it this morning between son trees and it peformed flawlessly. I don't see much else left to do except maybe add some more features like maybe a few Mavic Pro features. That would be most awesome!

Sent from my LG-M430 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: TheCyberKnight
Video gesture is the one that has a very low success (1 out of 10 at the best) by me. Probably need to retry it but I have little use of the gestures.
Rest is fine.

My experiences: Video gesture never works when it's "up and away". When the drone is very close my arm straight up will start video. I can then send it "up and away".

Reactions: TheCyberKnight
My experiences: Video gesture never works when it's "up and away". When the drone is very close my arm straight up will start video. I can then send it "up and away".

I have the same, after palmlaunch, I make the gesture to start recording and then send it away, and this works for me. Only thing I have after the update is that after palmlaunch it comes really close to me, I have to take a step back

I'd like to say that I feel the newest firmware definitely took care of a ton of issues. It seems now we have the Spark that we were promised. It seems though that there were still a few minor problems. Namely video in gesture mode. Well there are a bunch of us that figured it out. To start a video in gesture mode, the Spark has to be close. I mean close enough to initiate palm control. Once it is, take a half step backwards slowly so the Spark doesn't try to follow you back. Then give the gesture described. You'll see the front lights go out like when you press the video button. When you see that, wave at it. It will go back and up to about 12 feet or so and start active tracking you while recording. When you're done, use the beckon gesture to bring it back in, give it the video gesture again, and it will stop recording. I've tried it a bunch of times and it works like a charm. I also noticed that the other quickshots were most definitely fixed now. Tried dronie this morning and it went back and up and stoped where I wanted and then came right back. The circle me worked great. Even helix was better than ever. I even figured out precision landing and got it to do it this morning between son trees and it peformed flawlessly. I don't see much else left to do except maybe add some more features like maybe a few Mavic Pro features. That would be most awesome!

Sent from my LG-M430 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app
Thanks for this tip. I will try and report.

What is the secret to getting the beckon gesture to work. Most of the time, I can't get it to work at all and I have to use the controller to bring it back.

Thanks!

What is the secret to getting the beckon gesture to work. Most of the time, I can't get it to work at all and I have to use the controller to bring it back.

Thanks!

Once it is up and away, the front led's needs to be green to track you and gestures. If it ever loses me (not green) either walk in it's lens direction\field of view and stand there with a Y formation until it finds you (or highlight urself in the app) to track you.

Put arms\hands in a Y formation. Straight up works for me too for beckon

Photo gestures work at when up and away. Video gesture will not work at this point and needs to be initialized when in front of you (see previous replies to thread)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar