Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gimbal pans left/right prior to takeoff?

JS1500

Join
Dec 23, 2018
Sometimes after turning my Spark on the video feed on my phone shows that the gimbal is panning slowly to the left or right for a few seconds, then it stops. And this happens before I even take off, so the drone itself is stationary...Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

I have noticed that, most in low light conditions (at least I think so).
It's because of the electronic stabilization, DJI has used in spark, to make video smooth during yaw.

Interesting. I've never noticed it, but I'll be sure to watch for it the next time I fire up my Spark.

That's why it's so weird - because there's no yaw axis. But nevertheless, sometimes when I turn it on (with the Spark still on the ground) the feed on my screen will show horizontal movement...weird.

Of course there is also a yaw axis or better said yaw axis stabilization on the Spark. The yaw axis is just not stabilized mechanically like the roll and pitch axis. Yaw is digitally stabilized. This is done by using a 1920x1080 pixel box (crop) out of the 3968x2976 sensor. The box is dynamically positioned to counteract movement of the drone in the yaw axis. What you observe is the positioning of said box to the center of the sensor as part of the initial calibration after power on. If you have a close look at your footage you will notice a slight rebound after a harder yaw input. Same effect. It digitally repositions the 1920x1080 box to regain some wiggling room again for stabilization.

Reactions: Miket and JS1500
Of course there is also a yaw axis or better said yaw axis stabilization on the Spark. The yaw axis is just not stabilized mechanically like the roll and pitch axis. Yaw is digitally stabilized. This is done by using a 1920x1080 pixel box (crop) out of the 3968x2976 sensor. The box is dynamically positioned to counteract movement of the drone in the yaw axis. What you observe is the positioning of said box to the center of the sensor as part of the initial calibration after power on. If you have a close look at your footage you will notice a slight rebound after a harder yaw input. Same effect. It digitally repositions the 1920x1080 box to regain some wiggling room again for stabilization.

Thanks for the great explanation! Glad to hear there's nothing wrong with my drone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar