Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Great Distance!

No, in Australia. We apparently are limited to a Chinese spec that’s similar to CE. Worse on 2.4(400m), better on 5.8(1.2km in theory)

Not sure why mine is better than that, but certainly not complaining.

Absolutely wrong info, in Australia we can fly far and wide (the lucky country, lol). Watch this and then give it a go.

7084 ft, no mod. I started to get cold feet and turn around the same time it lost radio connection. I love the RTH feature!

Ok good to hear... I have wondered if it would RTH if the RC disconnects... Good to know that it will!
RTH would not create any problems as long as you update the home point manually or automatically.

I too have gone nearly 1500 meter distance using the latest versions and an android mobile. using FCC 5.8GHz

Rusty, how does your video confirm/deny which transmission ‘power’ system we are using for the spark?

Edit- also, I’ve already mentioned that I’ve made 3000m twice, with no mods, or firmware trickery.

After flying my spark for the first time i dont see why anyone would want to fly it so far away? I didn't attempt a range test but at 300ft away at 150ft high i was struggling to see it! I wouldn't want to push it much further, no wonder flyaways happen!

The most I have the nerve to do is about 60m high and 300m away! I'm a new owner and I'm scared I will lose it!

I always set the RTH before every flight and ensure plenty of satellites. There's no reason I should worry so much... Right?

If the RC disconnects from the spark, will it automatically RTH?

i feel exactly the same way.........the answer is yes....but its still hard.

I sent my Spark out yesterday, to see how far I could go upwind... Using the parabolic reflectors, at 300' in Sport mode, I was able to get 6000', with 2 bars remaining (5.8gig). The battery was the limiting factor. I cancelled RTH and flew it home (Sport Mode, 30 mph). I have a 30% setting on the lo-battery warning. Returned with 6 min flying time to spare. Pleased to say that the video feed was pretty crisp, and there was maybe a 1/2 sec latency on the video, when a control input was made.

I sent my Spark out yesterday, to see how far I could go upwind... Using the parabolic reflectors, at 300' in Sport mode, I was able to get 6000', with 2 bars remaining (5.8gig). The battery was the limiting factor. I cancelled RTH and flew it home (Sport Mode, 30 mph). I have a 30% setting on the lo-battery warning. Returned with 6 min flying time to spare. Pleased to say that the video feed was pretty crisp, and there was maybe a 1/2 sec latency on the video, when a control input was made.
Next time you activate RTH, keep pushing that forward stick to get higher RTH-speed than default.
When RTH button on RC is active (hold until beep) or low battery initiated, at least you're kind of "saved".
To cancel it and aim for HP in manual Sport mode is an option, just remember if connection is lost, or critical low battery, re-enable RTH may not be an option anymore..

i feel exactly the same way.........the answer is yes....but its still hard.
Get practiced with using your map... if you become disoriented, just stop for a sec... yaw the craft slowly, so it's pointing back at you along the green line, and add forward pitch. If you are a distance away, you'll need Sport Mode to get back. It's very twitchy, and I find it's best to pin the pitch stick full forward, and to NOT allow any Roll. Adjust heading left /right by using a slight nudge at a time of YAW. Yeah... It's a leap of faith to begin trusting the display, and the short flight time can induce panic in a newbie. So, if push comes to shove, bail and go RTH. This little craft is out is sight and sound in 100'.... which I love... It's extremely stealthy. I keep the RED lights off... adds a minute of flight time. There are videos available explaining basic techniques to keep line of sight orientation at a distance.... without GPS help. Good to have these basic skills on top of the high tech ease of flight these new drones offer.

Reactions: Daren71

Yes, parabolic range extenders focus all the signal in the direction and angle you point the reflector dishes. For less than $10 on Amazon, you can't beat it. In my case close to doubling my range in the right environment. Must fly in area open enough with no obstacles ( trees, houses, etc.) blocking signal path and need to fly high enough to keep uninterrupted line of sight between Spark and controller. Best if used where competing wifi signals are minimal with low wind. Fly in sport mode entire time and allow remote signal frequency to automatically choose 5.8 or 2.5 on its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkBarnes
My 2nd flight (2 days ago), I managed 1900 feet distance and started getting a little nervous. Also took it up to about 250 ft. in altitude, which seems like a height I can get comfortable at.

It's been too windy since then; dying to go back out.

Yes, parabolic range extenders focus all the signal in the direction and angle you point the reflector dishes. For less than $10 on Amazon, you can't beat it. In my case close to doubling my range in the right environment. Must fly in area open enough with no obstacles ( trees, houses, etc.) blocking signal path and need to fly high enough to keep uninterrupted line of sight between Spark and controller. Best if used where competing wifi signals are minimal with low wind. Fly in sport mode entire time and allow remote signal frequency to automatically choose 5.8 or 2.5 on its own.

Getting myself some of those range extenders shortly and looking forward to testing them out.

I didn't think there was an option for Spark controller to auto switch frequencies?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis