Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Half of Americans still don’t support drone delivery

Two things come to mind: 1) practicality and 2) cost/convenience.

Consider the problem with "porch pirate" thefts when delivered articles are left on someone's porch unattended, often because no one is home. A drone can't even put your package on the porch, out of the weather, so unless someone is home and notified of the incoming delivery, it will sit in the yard (or on the roof :rolleyes:). This seems highly impractical to me.

These drones will have far less payload capacity than the traditional van/truck. Even if the charges for drone delivered items is the same as for ground-based, it would take a steady stream of drone traffic to approach a single day's ground delivery currently in my neighborhood. Imagine the noise. How cost effective is it to dispatch a drone to deliver, say, a pizza or a pair of tube socks? This is literally pie-in-the-sky for delivery services and except for specialized items, I don't see it being commercially successful.

It could be useful in some area for mail or light package.
I suppose that they can synchronize the delivery when the
customer is at home... when the weather is acceptable...
But it make me worry, as a hobbyist drone pilot, that we
will loose our airspace and, as a GA pilot flying amphibian
on summer time, I wouldn’t like to “meet” a delivery drone
on descent for a water landing. We got enough trouble with
the increase of GA traffic, motorized para gliders, towers,
birds, etc...

I can't see it happening. It would be inefficient in any city and of course it's illegal to fly a drone here...see photo..in fact you could go to jail
death valley (16).jpg

Two things come to mind: 1) practicality and 2) cost/convenience.

Consider the problem with "porch pirate" thefts when delivered articles are left on someone's porch unattended, often because no one is home. A drone can't even put your package on the porch, out of the weather, so unless someone is home and notified of the incoming delivery, it will sit in the yard (or on the roof :rolleyes:). This seems highly impractical to me.

These drones will have far less payload capacity than the traditional van/truck. Even if the charges for drone delivered items is the same as for ground-based, it would take a steady stream of drone traffic to approach a single day's ground delivery currently in my neighborhood. Imagine the noise. How cost effective is it to dispatch a drone to deliver, say, a pizza or a pair of tube socks? This is literally pie-in-the-sky for delivery services and except for specialized items, I don't see it being commercially successful.
100% agree with this, imagine a big city like LA or Chicago going full-drone delivery! The noise and sky traffic would be insane! This makes perfect sense to me!

Reactions: hiflyer
I'm actually kinda pleased with this news. I do not look forward to a future with many, multiple flying machines around.

Just a few for people's recreational uses and survey/rescue/etc. sound reasonable.

Reactions: Huntman2014
Doesn't sound like a reasonable use for drones, except is some situations. But then, we're still looking for useful things for drones to do besides carry a camera. Companies are just trying to stake their claims to the below 400 ft airspace.

Doesn't sound like a reasonable use for drones, except is some situations. But then, we're still looking for useful things for drones to do besides carry a camera. Companies are just trying to stake their claims to the below 400 ft airspace.

The concept of owning the empty, open air above your property is an odd concept to me.

Reactions: Tentoes
The concept of owning the empty, open air above your property is an odd concept to me.
Im not known for being on the side of political correctness in the modern world.
I dont worry about the 400 ft give or take zone above me that much.
As times are I know SOME ENTITY has a plan...likely in the name of my "security" that will "enhance" my ability to pursue life, liberty and happiness on said ground or from inside my buried school buss that I may or may not be hoarding Toilet paper and shotgun shells in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme