Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Horizontal 'digital' camera yaw/pan

Sparkysky

Join
Mar 17, 2018
I've noticed the camera on my Spark continues to pan after my Spark has stopped yawing. At first I thought it was the Spark itself continuing to yaw after I released the stick, but I get the same effect on the bench - see my makeshift video below (the obvious turning is me, the subtle turning is the camera). I've seen some older posts on the DJI forum relating to this, suggesting that DJI are aware and would be looking to resolve the issue in a firmware update. However, the posts we're around 12 months old and we've had a few firmware updates since then. My Spark is running the latest update (refreshed today just incase). It's a bit annoying when flying and having to counteract this effect.

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed

Does this occur when you are flying outdoors? I wonder if it has something to do with your downward positioning sensors and what they are seeing on your floor. Just a thought.

It does do it outdoors, yes, but I've come to the conclusion from other forums and FB pages that it's a quirk of the most recent firmware as it attempts to smooth the yaw axis which of course the gimbal can't do. Although from your reply I guess you've not noticed it on your Spark? Flew the Spark today and it's something I can live with as footage capture in yaw is definitely smoother than when I first bought the drone.

I have not flown in quite a while. Are you using an Android or iOS device?

iOS (6S) not using OTG

I've noticed the camera on my Spark continues to pan after my Spark has stopped yawing. At first I thought it was the Spark itself continuing to yaw after I released the stick, but I get the same effect on the bench - see my makeshift video below (the obvious turning is me, the subtle turning is the camera). I've seen some older posts on the DJI forum relating to this, suggesting that DJI are aware and would be looking to resolve the issue in a firmware update. However, the posts we're around 12 months old and we've had a few firmware updates since then. My Spark is running the latest update (refreshed today just incase). It's a bit annoying when flying and having to counteract this effect.

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed

I've noticed on my spark and Mavic Pro 1 the horizon tilting is bad in the new firmware but I'm thinking it's the go 4 app I've been testing loads to try and figure out how to fix it. I noticed it first on my Mavic then I flew my spark and it was doing it on the spark as well.

iOS (6S) not using OTG
I am surprised that this problem exists in an iOS version of the Go 4 app. I wish I had an answer for you. I need to fire my Spark up and see if I have the same issue. I am using a iPad Mini 4 myself. Have you looked on the DJI official Spark forum for any information on this? That would be where I would go next.

How can they do it?

Spark's gimpal cannot move left or right.

Is it a kind of electronic stabilization?

As I understood the Spark has a 4K sensor and produces a 1080p video. It uses the extra space on the sensor to stabilise yaw. I guess that it stabilises the fast movement by reading information from the extra pixels and ending out of the centre of the sensor. At the end it moves the readout window slowly back to the centre of the sensor. Just a theory.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
Just a suggestion if you have the dji assistant 2 on your desktop or laptop try and refresh your latest firmware update on it and not over the air I did this the other day and my SPARK works flawlessly make sure to use your white data cable hope that this will help you and God Bless!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

As I understood the Spark has a 4K sensor and produces a 1080p video. It uses the extra space on the sensor to stabilise yaw. I guess that it stabilises the fast movement by reading information from the extra pixels and ending out of the centre of the sensor. At the end it moves the readout window slowly back to the centre of the sensor. Just a theory.

This is what I'm led to believe happens, yes.

Just a suggestion if you have the dji assistant 2 on your desktop or laptop try and refresh your latest firmware update on it and not over the air I did this the other day and my SPARK works flawlessly make sure to use your white data cable hope that this will help you and God Bless!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Already refreshed via Assistant 2 prior to posting, just in case that was the issue.

Reactions: CLAY347
An electronic stabilization system for the camera makes sense, but never saw it before, I think DJI would include it in drone's specs.

HEY BROTHER I WAS JUST THINKING WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO TAKE AND IF YOU GOT A EXTRA SET TRY AND CHANGE OR SWAP AROUND THE PROPS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY AND SEE IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE BECAUSE IN THE VIDEO IT SEEMS TO ME YOUR WHOLE SPARK IS SLIGHTLY MOVING TO THE LEFT AND ALSO TO RIGHT JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT I'M COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDING YOU AND WHAT IS GOING ON AND ALSO I HAVE NOT SEEN ARE YOU USING A IPHONE 6S & CONTROLLER OR JUST YOUR IPHONE 6S TO CONTROL YOUR SPARK AND EITHER WAY I'M GOING TO TRY AND GO INTO THE SETTINGS AND SEE IF THERE'S ANY KIND OF TRIM SETTINGS AND I'M GOING TO TRY AND HELP YOU GET THIS FIGURED OUT BROTHER SINCERELY CLAY B. AND GOD BLESS!!!

HEY BROTHER I WAS JUST THINKING WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO TAKE AND IF YOU GOT A EXTRA SET TRY AND CHANGE OR SWAP AROUND THE PROPS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY AND SEE IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE BECAUSE IN THE VIDEO IT SEEMS TO ME YOUR WHOLE SPARK IS SLIGHTLY MOVING TO THE LEFT AND ALSO TO RIGHT JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT I'M COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDING YOU AND WHAT IS GOING ON AND ALSO I HAVE NOT SEEN ARE YOU USING A IPHONE 6S & CONTROLLER OR JUST YOUR IPHONE 6S TO CONTROL YOUR SPARK AND EITHER WAY I'M GOING TO TRY AND GO INTO THE SETTINGS AND SEE IF THERE'S ANY KIND OF TRIM SETTINGS AND I'M GOING TO TRY AND HELP YOU GET THIS FIGURED OUT BROTHER SINCERELY CLAY B. AND GOD BLESS!!!

From the forum rules......(emphasis added)

Posting Standards
Forum members should use the standard fonts available on the forum. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion (e.g. all caps or excessive color).

Reactions: CLAY347
From the forum rules......(emphasis added)

Posting Standards
Forum members should use the standard fonts available on the forum. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion (e.g. all caps or excessive color).

Use of the period also makes sentences readable.

So what I'm getting from this thread is that the Spark uses a 4k sensor as a 1080p sensor, by "electronically" panning the image when you yaw? I guess that makes sense - but it sure doesn't look very good! Is there any fix in the works? Or is that just what I get with a cheaper drone? I enjoy the Spark because it is small and easy to keep charged and ready-to-go. Otherwise, I'd just use my Mavic all the time. But if I can't get the yaw jerkiness to settle down, I may end up selling it. :) I was wondering if it may be my SD card, but now I don't know. Here is a video I took yesterday. I was panning (yawing) very gently, and it still is jerky. The 2-axis gimbal on the Spark seems to take care of all the pitch and roll issues. But not the yaw. Spark Yaw issue:

Reactions: JJJONZ
So what I'm getting from this thread is that the Spark uses a 4k sensor as a 1080p sensor, by "electronically" panning the image when you yaw? I guess that makes sense - but it sure doesn't look very good! Is there any fix in the works? Or is that just what I get with a cheaper drone? I enjoy the Spark because it is small and easy to keep charged and ready-to-go. Otherwise, I'd just use my Mavic all the time. But if I can't get the yaw jerkiness to settle down, I may end up selling it. :) I was wondering if it may be my SD card, but now I don't know. Here is a video I took yesterday. I was panning (yawing) very gently, and it still is jerky. The 2-axis gimbal on the Spark seems to take care of all the pitch and roll issues. But not the yaw.

We all know the limitations of the Spark with the 2-axis gimbal. Your video looks fine. Doesn't look like there is any camera or SD card issue. It is better not to use any portion of the video shot with yaw movement in post edit. You can also try a combined maneuver like pitch and yaw to reduce the jerkiness in the video. Watch from 0:55 to 1:02 in this video which I shot.

We all know the limitations of the Spark with the 2-axis gimbal. Your video looks fine. Doesn't look like there is any camera or SD card issue. It is better not to use any portion of the video shot with yaw movement in post edit. You can also try a combined maneuver like pitch and yaw to reduce the jerkiness in the video. Watch from 0:55 to 1:02 in this video which I shot.
Thanks for the recommendation nilanjan118, I'll give it a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit