Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why does the Spark yaw so Badly?

Ron_Dog

Join
Mar 23, 2018
Loc
Illinois
I've had many DJI products, and never experienced the jerky yaw movement that the Spark has? Is the Firmware that bad? I have a Traxxas Ailen drone (100.00) that fly's much smoother? My Inspire,Mavic Pro,Phantom 3,all fly great, then the "ratchet yaw system" comes along with this drone? For the price the Spark demands, you would think the controller would have separate adjustments for yaw, and pitch? Or DJI would at least,develope a update for the firmware to smooth things out? It's a great little drone (but not a cheap one) with one major flaw, that isn't being addressed!

Last edited:
It doesn’t yaw badly, it is the two axis gimbal that isn’t able to smooth out the yawing movements of the drone...

When I give left or right comands on the right stick the video is very jerky due to the two axis gimbal. I avoid doing this and use forward stick while yawing smoothly with the left stick. This produces very smooth shots with only the slightest bit of tilt, when I am not smooth enough.

Reactions: desert spark
When I give left or right comands on the right stick the video is very jerky due to the two axis gimbal. I avoid doing this and use forward stick while yawing smoothly with the left stick. This produces very smooth shots with only the slightest bit of tilt, when I am not smooth enough.

Good pointer I will give it a try.
Thanks!!

I've had many DJI products, and never experienced the jerky yaw movement that the Spark has? Is the Firmware that bad? I have a Traxxas Ailen drone (100.00) that fly's much smoother? My Inspire,Mavic Pro,Phantom 3,all fly great, then the "ratchet yaw system" comes along with this drone? For the price the Spark demands, you would think the controller would have separate adjustments for yaw, and pitch? Or DJI would at least,develope a update for the firmware to smooth things out? It's a great little drone (but not a cheap one) with one major flaw, that isn't being addressed!

I have flown a Spark since last Christmas,and never experienced any yaw during normal flight, I have seen some yaw when the Spark encounters high winds, but I have always been able to correct that with a momentary adjustment of the control sticks one way or the other,

Reactions: Sparkster
I've noticed the slider in the controller settings, but dosen't this just reduce overall speed of the Spark? I don't think it works like the exponential,on the other models? I'm not referring to the jerky video, but overall handling in flight itself! When I fly my Spark first, then the Mavic Pro,it's like driving a old car with a lot of play in the steering, then getting into a new car with no play in the steering, and driving it! I also use the Litchi app and have noticed the Spark handles better while using it? So I dunno?:confused:

Last edited:
I have flown a Spark since last Christmas,and never experienced any yaw during normal flight, I have seen some yaw when the Spark encounters high winds, but I have always been able to correct that with a momentary adjustment of the control sticks one way or the other,
We are not talking about the Sparks ability to track well in a crosswind, it is the smoothness, or lack of it, in the control input of the controller/drone.

I've noticed the slider in the controller settings, but dosen't this just reduce overall speed of the Spark? I don't think it works like the exponential,on the other models? I'm not referring to the jerky video, but overall handling in flight itself! When I fly my Spark first, then the Mavic Pro,it's like driving a old car with a lot of play in the steering, then getting into a new car with no play in the steering, and driving it! I also use the Litchi app and have noticed the Spark handles better while using it? I dunno?:confused:

OK, i just haven't experienced the movement. I just purchased a Mavic Pro, and maybe after I fly it I will see the difference you detailed in your post.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
3D camera gimbal covers a lot of unwanted movements. DJI 3D gimbals are amazingly small but not small enough to fit in a Spark. The digital system in Spark I suspect has limitations, so maybe this is the best we can expect.
Compass calibration effects this function a lot, so do this often.
Cheers

Check out remote control settings. You can adjust the sensitivity of the sticks which will make yaw and the other motions smoother.
I see I can adjust the gimbals sensitivity but I do not see options to adjust sensitivity for the sticks in the remote control section. Am I missing something ?

3D camera gimbal covers a lot of unwanted movements. DJI 3D gimbals are amazingly small but not small enough to fit in a Spark. The digital system in Spark I suspect has limitations, so maybe this is the best we can expect.
Compass calibration effects this function a lot, so do this often.
Cheers
Very curious to learn how compass calibration affects image stabilization. The manual says to only calibrate when prompted. Is this another case of the manual being wrong?

I bet you will!;)

I can confirm the Mavic hasn't this issue while the Spark has. I thinks it's due to the Spark's RC left lever having very few, if any, "rest/dead" zone between yaw left and yaw right, since I sometimes have it yawing a bit as I push the lever forward to raise the Spark. In the sensibility settings, is there something to increase this "rest/dead" zone?

I see I can adjust the gimbals sensitivity but I do not see options to adjust sensitivity for the sticks in the remote control section. Am I missing something ?
The only thing I can see is the slider at the bottom of the controller settings( Max Flight Speed Settings). I have moved it from fast to around the middle. It "seems" to help some, but reduces the over all speed of the Spark.IMG_2090.PNG

The spark needs the mavic sensitivity settings dji for some reason won't give the spark them so we can adjust them with the Mavic Pro you can change gain and sensitivity on the sticks it massively slows things down my Mavic Pro is set up brilliantly and flys like a dream. The spark desperately needs this setting. Message dji and ask them.

I find that when I have stopped a sharp or long yaw the view appears to drift back slightly, I attribute that to the electronic yaw on the two axis gimble. But I also find it slowly yawing after initially settling down from the electronic stabilisation.

I can't believe no one has said yet that if you stay out of SPORT mode you likely won't have those jerky yaw movements. Yes, it is a two axis gimble. There are no adjustments to overcome that. But not flying in Sport mode will improve the situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis