Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Yaw (possible gimbal) drift?

mp43sniper

Join
Jul 22, 2017
Since new, my Spark has had a strange yaw issue. I don't think it's the AC (doesn't appear to be) versus something in the gimbal or camera itself. It usually happens after yawing the AC and then I notice it continues to turn on the screen of my iPhone. It is in my videos too once saved from the SD card. The yawing will actually happen after landing sometimes.

The Mavic we have is like a solid rock once positioned and I'm comparing the Spark to that; however, the issue I'm seeing almost appears to be software related instead of the stability of the craft itself.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Spark gimbal has no physical yaw axis. What you are seeing is the digital stabilization. Basically, the CPU simulates a 3rd axis on the gimbal by cropping and panning the video image.

Odds are, the drone is detecting some yaw motion, and it is compensating for it. I'm guessing you only notice this when perfectly still?

Reactions: leatherneck6017
Yes, usually immediately after turning. It's almost like the sensation I get when I've drank too much and the room starts to spin. I know it's not moving but appears that way. Same thing with the Spark.

What you said makes sense. Thanks

No problem! It is definitely the electronic stabilization you see. When the Spark stops rotating, the image has to "catch up" as it tries to return to its virtual center.

My Phantom 3 does similar with its 3rd axis gimbal. Fun thing with that, if you are on the ground and push the yaw stick, it will move even without the craft moving!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh