Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How do you fly your Spark?

Ash9

Join
Jul 16, 2017
Hi,

I'm just about to purchase my first ever drone (Spark obviously) and just wondered how you guys fly it? Mobile phone, tablet, RC, with or with the OTG cable?

I have an iPhone 7+ and iPad Air but thinking about getting an iPad mini 4 just for the drone using the RC with OTG cable. Not sure the my phone will fit the RC with the phone case on, plus don't want any calls / notifications interrupting the flight..

Cheers

I usually fly my Spark my iPhone 7 and the DJI OTG cable along with this Griffin Lightning cable. My iPhone is in an Otterbox Symmetry case, so it does not fit into the remote controller arms. The remote controller arms hold it in my place just fine though. Here's what that setup looks like with my Mavic remote controller (which has the same arms as the Spark remote controller):

03.jpg

02.jpg

If you're flying with a phone, you can enable airplane mode so you're not interrupted while you're flying. Or just ignore the incoming calls/messages and continue flying.

Last edited:
RC, OTG with an old iPhone 5s in airplane mode which I reboot daily. The 5s is big enough yet small emough to fit in a small bag. I have a 7s+ but don't want any incoming calls or txt or email to interrupt the dji go app

Have gotten up to 3700' a few times without issue The key is make sure there isn't nothing between the RC and the drone and that to keep the antennas perpendicular to the drone

Reactions: His415
I use an IPad mini 4 with cellular and the remote. Works great. No issues. My IPad mini is dedicated for my Mavic and Spark.

I have had several disconnects with the controller so lately I have been just flying with my iphone and no controller, I love the fact that this way you can be up and flying in less than a minute

Vinny

I have had several disconnects with the controller so lately I have been just flying with my iphone and no controller, I love the fact that this way you can be up and flying in less than a minute

Vinny
I fly just with my iPad and no controller. I don't push distance, so far it seems to work fine. I like that without the controller, it's one less device I need to carry with me and charge. When I get my new iPhone, I will try just flying with the phone. I like the larger screen in my iPad, but would like to be able to use active track and just put my phone in my pocket.....iPad is too big for,that.

I fly with the RC and an OTG cable to my Note 4 or Tab S2. With the Tab S2 I connect to my Note 4 hotspot occasionally.

i have almost exclusively flown with the RC and either my iPhone 6+ or my Acer 8 Tablet. See little reason for the cable since the wifi connection is between 2 items that are literally kissing each other and have not had any issues.

I bought the Nexus 7 - 2 exclusively for flying the Spark. Fits fine in the controller and does not take that much space.

If I'm flying a field and staying close and doing various maneuvers, I will fly with Wi-Fi and RC, if I'm going to fly long distance, I will use OTG. If I'm in the field I use 5.8, long-distance 2.4. So far no prob.

Reactions: His415
If I'm flying a field and staying close and doing various maneuvers, I will fly with Wi-Fi and RC, if I'm going to fly long distance, I will use OTG. If I'm in the field I use 5.8, long-distance 2.4. So far no prob.

Is this setup still working for you with the latest firmware?

Switch RC/AC to 2.4 ghz, then put my galaxy s6 active into airplane mode, connect with OTG cable. I've gotten a far as 6000 feet a few times, consistently go around 3000 feet. Only issue is if I lose connection I don't always get my battery % back when it reconnects, although the flight time remaining still works accurately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex