Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How to improve subject tracking?

lifeisfun

Join
Jun 14, 2018
The tracking performance with my Spark is less then stellar, it will loose the subject even in auto modes like Dronie or Rocket.
I do most Video on the water so is this the problem?
Any tips?
Colors that are easier to track?

Thanks

I have 3 videos I made with the activetrack feature.

1. It completely failed to track the garbage truck.
2. It lost track of me a couple times, but found me again.
3. It just followed me everywhere I went.

(you will wonder why I didn't just take the wheelbarrow to the hole. Um...)

I think the difference was contrast as I stood out on the light color path in blue overalls and red hat.

of course, there is this one where I somehow selected dronie 'stead of active track:

The tracking performance with my Spark is less then stellar, it will loose the subject even in auto modes like Dronie or Rocket.
I do most Video on the water so is this the problem?
Any tips?
Colors that are easier to track?

Thanks
Let’s face it, the Spark does not know what it’s looking at. We do so we know what to expect when a 3D object reveals a different perspective from that we first saw. I suspect that when a perspective changes enough, like when a garbage truck turns to show more of the dark rear end rather than the light colored side view, it is essentially not the “2D” object it is supposed to track. Even the side view of the truck is not all that different in color from the road - it is not a distinct object. So it’s a tough task for the Spark to know what look at.

Tracking has worked well for me when my subject has a distinct shape and highly distinguishable from the background.

Reactions: Andro
I usually use AutoPilot for tracking missions where I am the subject. It follows the controller and has been pretty reliable even when I am obscured by trees or shrubs. It can also be set up to follow another person that has a phone or other GPS device on them. AutoPilot has not been updated in a long time and I worry that Hanger is abandoning it.

I have used GO4s ActiveTrack but it quickly looses the target if it is low contrast or blends into background.

Chris

Reactions: lifeisfun
I'm kindof giving up the automatic modes as gimmicks and doing them manually. Of course, I don't have much attention span and forget to keep the whatever was I talking about?

I usually use AutoPilot for tracking missions where I am the subject. It follows the controller and has been pretty reliable even when I am obscured by trees or shrubs. It can also be set up to follow another person that has a phone or other GPS device on them. AutoPilot has not been updated in a long time and I worry that Hanger is abandoning it.

I have used GO4s ActiveTrack but it quickly looses the target if it is low contrast or blends into background.

Chris
Is there similar app for android?
Thanks

Is there similar app for android?
Thanks
Not as far as I know. I wish Hanger would update AutoPilot and make it cross platform. It is a unique app that provide capabilities that other apps lack.

Chris

Reactions: lifeisfun
Won't pretend to be an expert of Active Tracking here but it has worked quite well for me so far. I think good lighting and contrast between the subject and background is the key.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme