Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

I just had a brand new in the package IPad given to me...I've never used an Apple product in my life, but when he asked if i wanted it, the first thing I thought of was my Spark. Apparently his kid bought it without his permission and so he gave it to me. Not exactly free as i did do some work for him, but I wasn't planning on charging him for it. I believe it is the 2018 IPad 128 g.b. model so I'll have to get a mount for it...and figure out how to use the thing! It's something I would probably never had bought for myself!

I bet it'll work a lot better than my single band ZTE smartphone!!

Reactions: Spark 317
I just had a brand new in the package IPad given to me...I've never used an Apple product in my life, but when he asked if i wanted it, the first thing I thought of was my Spark. Apparently his kid bought it without his permission and so he gave it to me. Not exactly free as i did do some work for him, but I wasn't planning on charging him for it. I believe it is the 2018 IPad 128 g.b. model so I'll have to get a mount for it...and figure out how to use the thing! It's something I would probably never had bought for myself!

I bet it'll work a lot better than my single band ZTE smartphone!!
In my opinion, the mavmount is the best tablet holder for the controller.

Reactions: mano
Hi All,

Wow, this thread is right on target for me! Last Saturday, I was browsing in Best Buy waiting for the wife to finish up in Target next door. While walking around, noticed that Best Buy had the Apple IPad Mini 4 with 128gb on sale that night only for $249, new in the box. Some type of unadvertised Manager's special. Anyway, I bought it as it was a very good price (regular price was $399). Can always return it. Here is where I am at - I've never owned an Apple product in my life, been strictly an Android user forever. I've been using my Android Motorola Moto G5+ phone with good results for my Spark and Mavic Pro flights, but I do long for a bigger screen. The older I get, the harder it is to see all that is happening on that small screen! My two other Android tablets don't have the horsepower to keep up with the DJI GO4 app (lots of stuttering and freezes) so I had been thinking about getting a new smaller form tablet for flight control. Then I saw the Ipad Mini 4 on sale. Is the IPad Mini 4 a good choice? My biggest concern with the Ipad Mini 4 is its relatively old processor, but it seems like it can handle the the Go4 app. Any thoughts? It is still sitting on my desk unopened as I am debating between the Ipad Mini 4 or the Huawei Mediapad M5 (Android). Thanks for your help!
I actually am running the Ipad Mini 2. Dont know what processor it is but dont care. It never have had any issues with lagging or distance. Thought about the 4 but until the 2 does something stupid Im just keepiing the 2. It runs the Go 4 and the Litchi app both with no hitch.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

I tried a Pixel XL and a Nexus 6P with mixed results. The Pixel worked well, but sometimes had trouble connecting to wifi (when using Litchi). I tried my wife's iPhone 7+ and it was definitely better. The experience was smooth and trouble free. We were both going to upgrade phones before the end of the year and I planned to use her old iPhone as my Spark mobile device. But I upgraded first, to a Samsung Note 9. I tried it with the Spark and it has been perfect since day 1 (over a month now). The screen is clear and very usable outdoors. So I changed my mind and decided to use the Note 9 as both my phone and my Spark mobile device. Oh, another great thing is I can use the stylus to work with the screen in winter weather while I'm wearing gloves!

Tim

I tried a Pixel XL and a Nexus 6P with mixed results. The Pixel worked well, but sometimes had trouble connecting to wifi (when using Litchi). I tried my wife's iPhone 7+ and it was definitely better. The experience was smooth and trouble free. We were both going to upgrade phones before the end of the year and I planned to use her old iPhone as my Spark mobile device. But I upgraded first, to a Samsung Note 9. I tried it with the Spark and it has been perfect since day 1 (over a month now). The screen is clear and very usable outdoors. So I changed my mind and decided to use the Note 9 as both my phone and my Spark mobile device. Oh, another great thing is I can use the stylus to work with the screen in winter weather while I'm wearing gloves!

Tim
Very nice results. I started out with the s7 edge and had really good results. Upgrading to the s9+ however gave me some problems. Now flying with a 10" screen is a whole new experience. Apple or Android, I definitely recommend as big of a screen as you can get.

I started out using my Android phone years ago when I started flying drones. I wanted something bigger so I got an Android tablet.
It was fine for the screen size but it was pretty bulky.
I do tech support for a school district which uses a lot of iPads in the classrooms. I noticed how thin they were plus the great display quality. I found the Apple refurbished store online and bought an iPad Pro 10" and love it.
Thin, great picture quality plus looking back I hardly have connection problems that I used to have with the Android tablet.
I will fly no other way now.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

I'm still a little confused on if you need cellular service on the iPad or not. My iPhone uses the wifi to connect to the drone so an IPAD can't be both connected to my phone and to drone by way of wifi. I believe I need a wifi connection to get GPS and Map data correct? Do they make a wired tether cable to connect a iPhone and IPAD that would allow data from the phone but wifi to the IPAD?

I have found I can connect my iPhone to my Mac and open Quicktime player.. tell QuickTime to use my phone screen for recording and get a bigger screen view plus actually do a cool recording of the flight and data on one screen.

Hi. I have always been an Apple guy so welcome to the club. You’ll see from my age my sight is not the best so the iPad Version 6 is brilliant. I have teamed it with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076X3L49S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Together with the RC and an extension to accommodate the iPad I can see exactly what I am flying over and what I’m filming/shooting. Hope you enjoy the enhanced experience.

I'm still a little confused on if you need cellular service on the iPad or not. My iPhone uses the wifi to connect to the drone so an IPAD can't be both connected to my phone and to drone by way of wifi. I believe I need a wifi connection to get GPS and Map data correct? Do they make a wired tether cable to connect a iPhone and IPAD that would allow data from the phone but wifi to the IPAD?

I have found I can connect my iPhone to my Mac and open Quicktime player.. tell QuickTime to use my phone screen for recording and get a bigger screen view plus actually do a cool recording of the flight and data on one screen.
There is a cable for connecting your device, either Apple or Android to the controller. Search for OTG cable. When I fly the spark I update my maps offline before I go or since I have a tablet with a cellular data connection I can also use that. Usually you have a better video feed when using the OTG cable. If you connect to your controller through wifi, then you need to update your maps ahead of time.

Hi. I have always been an Apple guy so welcome to the club. You’ll see from my age my sight is not the best so the iPad Version 6 is brilliant. I have teamed it with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076X3L49S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Together with the RC and an extension to accommodate the iPad I can see exactly what I am flying over and what I’m filming/shooting. Hope you enjoy the enhanced experience.
When I bought my mavic pro, the guy also had a mavmount system. When I fly my spark with the iPad I use the mavmount, it puts the tablet right in front of you, along with a 10 inch screen, it makes the whole flying experience so much more enjoyable. I started off with a spark and a samsung s7 edge. They worked great and flying was fun. This just takes it to a whole different level.

I know there are alot of people on this forum and the MP forum that use and love the mini 4. It fits in the controller without any additional equipment and just plain works. The iPad needs the mavmount, but since I started using it, I actually prefer it this way.
Wery needful info for me. I'm thinking about buying Ipad mini 4 for Spark - but not sure about fit this Ipad into controller. Can You post here photo how it's looks?
And how long can work battery of iPad mini 4 with launched DJI Go 4?
I will be appreciate for your answers.

I'm thinking about buying Ipad mini 4 for Spark - but not sure about fit this Ipad into controller.

It fits.

20171207_202020.jpg

And if you want the convince of a neck lanyard, use this.

Although I do use a tablet holder when flying with the mini4 as it seems balanced.

Reactions: SlaVa

I am an avid Android guy too. Been rooting and customizing my phones since forever. I have an iPad I do my editing on, currently I use my wife’s old iPhone 6 with my Spark. I am looking for something to hold my 12.9 iPad.(old eyes). I have come to realize that there really no superior platform. Android is great at something’s while iOS is great at other things. Use what plate forms performs the best for the job. Yes I still love my Pixel 2 XL.

I am an avid Android guy too. Been rooting and customizing my phones since forever. I have an iPad I do my editing on, currently I use my wife’s old iPhone 6 with my Spark. I am looking for something to hold my 12.9 iPad.(old eyes). I have come to realize that there really no superior platform. Android is great at something’s while iOS is great at other things. Use what plate forms performs the best for the job. Yes I still love my Pixel 2 XL.

I too am looking for "something to hold my 12.9 iPad". Someone else posted this Mavmount and said it is great. They run about $64 USD for the Spark it looks like....link below

Can anyone else recommend anything else?

MavMount™ 3.0 DJI Mavic 2, Zoom, Mavic Pro, Air, and Spark iPad Tablet Mount Holder Archives | Mavmount brand DJI Mavic 2, DJI Mavic Pro, Spark and AIR iPad Tablet Adapter

Reactions: KevTN
I too am looking for "something to hold my 12.9 iPad". Someone else posted this Mavmount and said it is great. They run about $64 USD for the Spark it looks like....link below

Can anyone else recommend anything else?

MavMount[emoji769] 3.0 DJI Mavic 2, Zoom, Mavic Pro, Air, and Spark iPad Tablet Mount Holder Archives | Mavmount brand DJI Mavic 2, DJI Mavic Pro, Spark and AIR iPad Tablet Adapter
I have the mavmount for my spark and MP. I use a 10" tablet with it. The thing works great, it's very sturdy, can lock the swivel in any direction, and balances the whole setup perfectly. I know you said you were looking for something else, but the mavmount is really nice. No matter what you end up going with, I would highly recommend a lanyard option. It's really nice when you need to do something with both hands.

It fits.

View attachment 7683

And if you want the convince of a neck lanyard, use this.

Although I do use a tablet holder when flying with the mini4 as it seems balanced.
Thank You for answer! Now it's clear for me.
It's better to see once than read 100 times :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast