Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

if not a spark..what?

dragonalumni

Join
Aug 21, 2020
I bought the last spark at the camera shop almost a year ago. (I think) It leaves me wondering what would be a viable alternative. It seems the mavric mini isn't that good and the pros are big and in another price bracket. Is dji getting ready to offer something new at this level?

I was out taking video from a moving boat. The short flight time was a pain. Giving the Mavic air 2 consideration.

anybody interested in a Spark? I maybe posting in the classified section.

Reactions: Spark 317
>This< would have been THE answer ... ?

The official replacement though is the Mini, but I think it is NOT.
The Mini is too different - it is just another type of drone: As the name says It is a small Mavic - no new SPARK.

IMHO a "SPARK 2.0" should have:
  • an optical facelift like in the link above
  • more flight time (20-30 min)
  • more software features like the bigger models
  • higher camera resolution (I do not think, it is really necessary, but "the market" will demand it.)
  • nothing that makes the SPARK 2.0 less robust and reliable, therefore no 3rd axis for the gimbal and not foldable.
    (The size is compact enough for the backpack.)
  • not necessarily under 250 g (those who need that, can choose the Mini), but well under 600 g including RC
    (The actual SPARK + battery + RC = 595 g.)

>This< would have been THE answer ... ?

The official replacement though is the Mini, but I think it is NOT.
The Mini is too different - it is just another type of drone: As the name says It is a small Mavic - no new SPARK.

IMHO a "SPARK 2.0" should have:
  • an optical facelift like in the link above
  • more flight time (20-30 min)
  • more software features like the bigger models
  • higher camera resolution (I do not think, it is really necessary, but "the market" will demand it.)
  • nothing that makes the SPARK 2.0 less robust and reliable, therefore no 3rd axis for the gimbal and not foldable.
    (The size is compact enough for the backpack.)
  • not necessarily under 250 g (those who need that, can choose the Mini), but well under 600 g including RC
    (The actual SPARK + battery + RC = 595 g.)

With a few exceptions, you've described the MA2.

I was out taking video from a moving boat. The short flight time was a pain. Giving the Mavic air 2 consideration.

anybody interested in a Spark? I maybe posting in the classified section.

Keep the Spark and turn somebody on to the hobby.

Always room in the hanger for another aircraft. :)

Reactions: RotorWash
I'm looking at the M2 as well. Check out some you tube reviews. They make it irresistible. It has a ton features that DJI doesn't even mention.

With a few exceptions, you've described the MA2.

The Mavic 2 has
  • too much camera
  • too much weight
  • too much size (unfolded)
  • too much prize
to be the small, compact entry-level model like the SPARK is once was.

The motto "faster, higher, further" does not apply to all customers. Many are very satisfied with what they have and just want a facelift, as we know it from cars.
Compared to the car models from Volkswagen (as I come from Germany), the SPARK could be the "Polo" from DJI. (The VW Polo is the "little brother" of the VW Golf. The VW Golf is clearly the cash cow and meanwhile THE identification icon of VW. That might be the Mavic to DJI, but the differences between the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic 2 have not yet been worked out clearly enough, they compete with each other instead of positioning themselves independently for a specific customer group.

VW Polo 1975, 1st generation ⏩ VW Polo 2017, 6th generation
40 years old VW Polo
⏩
VW Polo 2020, 6th generation

I would like to see a corresponding development at DJI.

Perhaps the Mavic Mini will exceed the limit of 250 g one day and then get a few sensors and other features. Then it could fit into the currently no longer occupied segment of the SPARK in terms of functions and price.
Maybe DJI decided "all of our drones have to be foldable" and therefore no SPARK 2.0 was developed.

I think the Mavic Mini is DJI's Spark replacement.
I think technically this is the replacement (note, not upgrade to Spark) also I think it's 249g meaning it can fly in those freedom loving countries. This maybe why DJI moved away from Spark at all.

Many of the participants in this forum have gone to the Mavic Air 2, myself included. It's really a great drone.
I think if your talking about upgrades MA2 is really the way to go.. at least you tube has me convinced. I also see people are liking your post in support. Really seems like a great drone at at a reasonable price (especially with the fly more deal).

Well I made the leap. I've had the MA2 for about a week now. I got my Spark for Christmas 2 years ago so I know it pretty well.

First impressions....... I LOVE THE MA2
First thing is the noise difference. MA2 is pretty quite. It comes with the "stealth props" . They don't advertise that but it's what they look like. The tips are turned up and swept back.

Second, wind is not really an issue. You can fly and take video in a 25+mph wind. I have yet to see the "high winds warning ".

Third is the epic run time. A true 30 minutes. After flying the spark for 2 years I'm used to landing after 10 minutes or so. It's just second nature. With the MA2 I sometimes do 2 or 3 flights on 1 battery.

I could go on and on about the zoom, new controller, 3 axis gimble etc.

CONS...... for me the only downside is the price. Your going to want the combo so that's $988 everywhere. I didn't get the refresh insurance on the spark but with the MA2 it seems foolish not to. What's another $80 when you just spent close to a grand? I love a good hard case , another $60 , filters $50 yada yada yada. I'm going sell my Spark and all accessories to try and recoup some money.

You won't regret buying the MA2 !

Doesn't the MA2 fly more combo come with a case and filter pack? It seemed like the 2 batteries alone cost more than the combo pack that also included filters and a decent looking but not hard-spark-like case.

I love my Spark, but if you're looking at a replacement / upgrade to it, the MA2 is the one. The Mini has too many negatives, and if you're coming from the Spark, the Mini is too limiting, other than the longer battery life. It's clearly targeted at beginners.
Just my 2 cents worth.. [emoji23]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex