Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

IMU Failure

Alan Burton

Join
Oct 19, 2019
I have a Spark that I’ve hadn’t flown in a year since moving. This drone was never crashed and never mishandled. It worked perfectly when I last flew the craft. When I tried it out I was instructed to update the firmware on both the Spark and the controller and after that the IMU would not calibrate. I tried everything but no success. I returned the unit to DJI and paid $74 to have the IMU replaced but I still wonder what happened. This drone has suffered no trauma. I noticed on several other forums several others seem to have had their IMU fail for no reason and the solution was always send it in for repair. I’ve never heard an explanation as to why these failures are happening to units that have suffered no apparent damage. Anybody know something I don’t?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Alan Burton.

I don't know anything abou the IMU, but you're correct about the scenario, Faulty IMU, needs replaced.

I know some pilots may get stuck on step 2 of the calibration process because the image flashes quickly and may not notice the orientation of the Spark has changed. Keep an eye on the DJI logo during the process.

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Alan Burton.

I don't know anything abou the IMU, but you're correct about the scenario, Faulty IMU, needs replaced.

I know some pilots may get stuck on step 2 of the calibration process because the image flashes quickly and may not notice the orientation of the Spark has changed. Keep an eye on the DJI logo during the process.

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:
I have always followed the calibration instructions to the letter but the IMU was just dead confirmed by the fact that DJI just replaced it. My question is the reason for these failures, in my case where it had just been kept safely in its case since it’s last flight.

i just got my Spark back from DJI today and after paying $74 dollars for an IMU that I do not believe I was responsible for damaging I opened up the package to find that the LED's on the right rear motor was not working. These lights were working perfectly when I sent it in and there was no apparent damage during shipping. It's going to be interesting to see if they will take ownership of this problem or try to say it was that way when I sent it in. All I can say to that is where was no mention of this issue in their assessment. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like they missed something. Did the Spark you got back have the same serial number as the one you sent for repair?

I have learned this evening that in addition to the LED not working on one of the motors, the aircraft will not fly indicating a (4no ECU error)
telling me I need to return the unit to DJI. Again I had neither of these issues when I sent it in for repair. I hope they will admit their fault and fix this for me.

Reactions: Tom R
I have learned this evening that in addition to the LED not working on one of the motors, the aircraft will not fly indicating a (4no ECU error)
telling me I need to return the unit to DJI. Again I had neither of these issues when I sent it in for repair. I hope they will admit their fault and fix this for me.

Really sad to hear someone been subjected to this hassle. I would suggest you create a thread in the official DJI forum as well stating your grievances. It may help to escalate matters and prompt them to take corrective action asap.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Hmmm, you said that it was the right rear LED not working when you got it back, now you're getting a #4 ECU (electronic control unit?) error. Does that motor spin up? I found a diagram of how the motors are numbered on a Phantom and, if Spark is the same configuration, #4 motor is the right rear. I believe the ESC (electronic speed control) is on the same board as the LED in each motor mount position. I find a lot of information on the ECS, nothing on ECU. YT has videos of how to replace motors, ESC, etc., but that should be DJI's responsibility when they sent it in for IMU replacement. It suggests they don't do even a minimal functional check prior to returning it after servicing. Please keep us posted on DJI's handling of this issue.

Those were my thoughts exactly there must be some correlation between the lights not working and the air that I received. I am no impressed that they obviously created this problem while replacing the IMU, but they let it be shipped back without checking it out.

Reactions: I B Spectre
OK so I reported the problem to DJI and told them I had a (Can not take off) condition which means the motors (won't start). So here was the response I just received,

No worries, we understand that the unit didn't crash or has any other damage. We will help you in sending the unit for further checking.

But before sending the unit, let us try to solve the error you're having with the unit. We will try to solve the “cannot take off” problem. I'll be asking some questions.

1. When you turned on the aircraft, is the motor can be started or not?
2. What is the status of the motor acceleration when you pull the right stick? Does it show all motors accelerate or part os motors accelerate or no motors accelerate?

Please let me know so that we can move to the next step.

........ So I told them I can't start the motors with the error and that's where we are.

Based on the broken English I'm getting the (foreign) based DJI support keeps emailing me and asking me questions that I answered in the original email to them such as " it this a problem with the IMU or the ECU, I clearly explained it was the ECU. Earlier this afternoon I was told they were preparing to send me a return label, I've seen nothing since. Now I wonder if they are actually going to ((snail) mail me one. Truthfully after reading all the post about problems everyone is having out there I am becoming less impressed with DJI's products and support at every turn. When you pay the kind of money you do for a DJI drone it should simply work. From what I'm seeing there are far too many failures occurring out there and many are not associated with a crash or trauma as was the case with the IMU repair on my Spark. I mean seriously if they can put out a firmware update that cripples a drone and make big bucks forcing you to return it for repair at $65 an hour that's quite a setup. I am hoping for better news tomorrow, I will keep you posted.

I have a Spark that I’ve hadn’t flown in a year since moving. This drone was never crashed and never mishandled. It worked perfectly when I last flew the craft. When I tried it out I was instructed to update the firmware on both the Spark and the controller and after that the IMU would not calibrate. I tried everything but no success. I returned the unit to DJI and paid $74 to have the IMU replaced but I still wonder what happened. This drone has suffered no trauma. I noticed on several other forums several others seem to have had their IMU fail for no reason and the solution was always send it in for repair. I’ve never heard an explanation as to why these failures are happening to units that have suffered no apparent damage. Anybody know something I don’t?
dji has had their imu issued since the phantom series its because they use cheap parts... you dont see this on any imu from china that you can buy to build your own drone or in cell phones so its cheap imu parts.. and a imu is just a tilt sensor basically i can buy one off banggood for 20 bucks thats on a flight board already and its 10 imes better than djis crap.... dji seems to slapped together these drones and not really care have sub standard programmers and app creators its a wonder how they ever ever became so huge.. ahh i know they packaged their crap in good looking stuff an dsaid it has all this crap lol like apple does

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme