Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is a Spark 2 still forthcoming?

joeke3el

Join
Jun 25, 2019
With all the attention placed on the new Mavic Mini, there is a lot of chatter on the web that perhaps this drone is in a way the successor to the Spark. However, unlike other drones from DJI that succeed a pervious version, this Mini does not exceed the Spark in all categories such as the Mavic 2 does vs the Mavic 1 for example. The Mini has a superior camera but you have less control and features with it. It does not have obstacle avoidance, its max service ceiling above sea level is 1000m less than the Spark, and the app is watered down a bit. In addition, despite the original Spark being no longer available at DJI's web site, they maintain the "Spark Series" page. It's that word "series" that's making me think that perhaps there's still a Spark 2 in the near future. Maybe a new Spark that will have the Mini's new camera and flight time but retains all the features of the original. Maybe something in a price range between the Air and the Mini. There's some room in there.

Joe

Last edited:
Don’t think so..

Guess it’s the new DJI entry level drone and they now have different views on what starters need?

Very doubtful. It would not make sense from a manufacturing point of view with the Mini now available. Unless they release an upscale version of the mini with some OA and 4k, but that would threaten the Air. I think the next thing will be the Mavic 3

Reactions: twickers14
Very doubtful. It would not make sense from a manufacturing point of view with the Mini now available. Unless they release an upscale version of the mini with some OA and 4k, but that would threaten the Air. I think the next thing will be the Mavic 3

I've seen in the rumor mill the Mavic 3 is due out in Jan. I still think they have something up their sleeve for that $600 or so price point. The Mini offered at $399/$499(fly more) and the Air at $919/$1149(fly more) leaves a bit of a gap. We should know in the next several months I suppose.

Joe

I'll throw this into the rumor mill just for laughs...Tello 2! ?

Reactions: joeke3el
Doubtful we’ll see a Spark 2...besides, DJI announced earlier that moving forward into 2020 all their new platforms will have AirSense (ADS-B receivers) like the Mavic Enterprise has...and this technology isn’t cheap.

My guess is it's possible, perhaps in Q1/Q2 2020 after mini sales have petered off a bit. Likely with the same small form factor but with longer range, better wifi/occusync and improved video.

Even though I have read some posts knocking the Sparks FPV video quality I think it is still better than hubsan zino and fimi x8.

My guess is it's possible, perhaps in Q1/Q2 2020 after mini sales have petered off a bit. Likely with the same small form factor but with longer range, better wifi/occusync and improved video.

Even though I have read some posts knocking the Sparks FPV video quality I think it is still better than hubsan zino and fimi x8.
I personally doubt there would be a Spark 2. Two of the three features on your (and my) wishlist are available on the Mavic Air and Mini. Missing is occusync. So I think that a Spark 2 priced between the Mini and the Air, with all three features, is highly unlikely.

I am reading rumours of a Mavic 3 for early 2020 from various sources. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme