Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is there any way to improve battery life or range?

sparkhead43

Join
Jan 11, 2018
I saw the four metal contacts on the bottom of the spark battery and I was thinking that you could take two of those tube battery packs and put them on either side of the drone. Wire them up to the contacts somehow and have it charge mid flight. Also I would like to improve the range but there's too many cheap antennas online. Do you guys know of anything that actually works well and is reliable? It would be cool to slap a huge antenna on top of my truck and have a massive range but I doubt that's possible. Let me know if there's anything else I could do to improve my Spark thanks.

I saw the four metal contacts on the bottom of the spark battery and I was thinking that you could take two of those tube battery packs and put them on either side of the drone. Wire them up to the contacts somehow and have it charge mid flight. Also I would like to improve the range but there's too many cheap antennas online. Do you guys know of anything that actually works well and is reliable? It would be cool to slap a huge antenna on top of my truck and have a massive range but I doubt that's possible. Let me know if there's anything else I could do to improve my Spark thanks.
I wouldn't "Tim the Toolman Taylor" my way into extending the battery life that way...

You might add capacity but you also add weight and would likely end up with no increase in flight time. The extra weight would also make the motors work harder than they are designed to work. There would also be more chance of damage when landing heavily because of the weight. Sorry its not too helpful.

You might add capacity but you also add weight and would likely end up with no increase in flight time. The extra weight would also make the motors work harder than they are designed to work. There would also be more chance of damage when landing heavily because of the weight. Sorry its not too helpful.
+1000 I've done much testing with different sized MRs and the result is generally the same. A slight increase in flight time at the sacrifice of turning your quad into a flying slug with motors that need to be continually replaced. The Spark has been designed by professionals for optimal performance and should be accepted for what it is, an awesome little AC that takes great video and is a blast to fly. Now if they could just improve the sw............

+1000 I've done much testing with different sized MRs and the result is generally the same. A slight increase in flight time at the sacrifice of turning your quad into a flying slug with motors that need to be continually replaced. The Spark has been designed by professionals for optimal performance and should be accepted for what it is, an awesome little AC that takes great video and is a blast to fly. Now if they could just improve the sw............
1 18650 weighs 50ish grams which is almost the same as the prop guards. A 3000 mah battery increase would be a significant improvement.

It has been done YouTube is your friend for all spark hacks. I personally prefer 5 batteries and a portable car charger. I can fly all day long

I wouldn't "Tim the Toolman Taylor" my way into extending the battery life that way...
I don't know about the battery since they are 'smart' batteries and costly. Wouldn't want to jack one up, but I would love to fly longer than 15 min.
Now as far as the Antenna, it's passive isn't it?

Last edited:
1 18650 weighs 50ish grams which is almost the same as the prop guards. A 3000 mah battery increase would be a significant improvement.
I'd be leary of adding different batteries, especially when the 18650s aren't even lipos, they're lithium ion. If I were to do anything I'd research totally replacing the Spark battery with a normal lipo with increased mahs. Also,the thought just occurred to me that being in Canada, you could also go with a smaller battery. You'd sacrifice flight time but it would be an easy way to get under 250 grams.

I'd be leary of adding different batteries, especially when the 18650s aren't even lipos, they're lithium ion. If I were to do anything I'd research totally replacing the Spark battery with a normal lipo with increased mahs. Also,the thought just occurred to me that being in Canada, you could also go with a smaller battery. You'd sacrifice flight time but it would be an easy way to get under 250 grams.
Just thinking, the best way to increase flight time is to reduce weight, like it was said earlier the spark was designed with optimal battery size to weigh. One way to trim weight would be to trim down the very stout arms that holds the motors. Don't know how many grams would be saved but it's worth an experiment. [emoji4]

I don't know about the battery since they are 'smart' batteries and costly. Wouldn't want to jack one up, but I would love to fly longer than 15 min.
Now as far as the Antenna, it's passive isn't it?
The best solution can come from SolidEnergy Athena series, Li-metal battery with double capacity, and safer battery, if DJI can order Li-metal battery's 30 min. flytime is available.

Just thinking, the best way to increase flight time is to reduce weight, like it was said earlier the spark was designed with optimal battery size to weigh. One way to trim weight would be to trim down the very stout arms that holds the motors. Don't know how many grams would be saved but it's worth an experiment. [emoji4]
Thing is that one 18650 weighs about the same as the prop guards and a 3500 mah boost is a massive improvement

Reactions: armando58
18650 battery is a 3.7 V. You need 3 pcs pack. That would be 11.1V nominal (12.6 when the battery are full like a original Spark) and 3000mAh. And too big weight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
md_faizan_saifi