Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Keep spark? So many restrictions in NC

Smitty

Join
Dec 28, 2017
Hello all,
So I just received a Spark for Christmas. I was aware of what I thought were most of the restrictions through the FAA but after doing more and more research, it seems like anywhere I go, I am likely looking at some flight restriction. I live in the Raleigh area of North Carolina and it seem like I would be severely limited in where I can fly. I have had it out twice, just yesterday I was at a local park flying where no one was around and as I was leaving I saw a police officer heading to the exact spot I was just flying in. I see this park mentioned in searches as a good place to fly and have also seen videos of it, but I find it highly coincidental that the cop was driving to my exact spot and no one else was around. I am honestly thinking of just returning the item and eating the restocking fee. I am not sure if it is worth it.

Any one else in this area have any tips or knowledge to share? How do all of you handle determining ok places to fly. I have looked at some of the apps and see some helpful information, but it doesn’t cover local ordinances and most park websites don’t have any information about UAS flights. Help, really torn in deciding if it’s worth it.

I am in Durham and fly all over the place. As long as you don't fly over people or traffic and stay under 400' you're good.
I was taking off in Downtown Durham near a cop car. As I was lifting off, he said something to me. "Oh, no, here we go" I thought.
I couldn't hear him so I asked him to repeat himself, "That looks expensive, and cool" was what he said.
Only place I have been run off from lately was a security guard told me I couldn't fly here. I was in a Mall's parking lot looking at an awesome sunset. So, I left, drove up the road to another parking lot and resumed.
As long as you don't fly over people or traffic, you aren't doing anything wrong. If you are too close to the airport, the motors won't even start.

Thanks AeroMirage, I have a boat and was hoping to get some footage while out at Jordan lake. It looks like that can’t happen as State parks don’t allow take off or landing. Maybe I am just being too hyper aware and need to loosen up a little bit.

I am in Durham and fly all over the place. As long as you don't fly over people or traffic and stay under 400' you're good.
I was taking off in Downtown Durham near a cop car. As I was lifting off, he said something to me. "Oh, no, here we go" I thought.
I couldn't hear him so I asked him to repeat himself, "That looks expensive, and cool" was what he said.
Only place I have been run off from lately was a security guard told me I couldn't fly here. I was in a Mall's parking lot looking at an awesome sunset. So, I left, drove up the road to another parking lot and resumed.
As long as you don't fly over people or traffic, you aren't doing anything wrong. If you are too close to the airport, the motors won't even start.

Actually, they will start...in certain areas.
I am currently in Las Vegas and according to DJI no fly map that marks where the DJI product will not start...it will fly near the Fountains at Bellagio. However, that spot is within the McCarran Class B airspace SFC to 10,000ft - meaning, no drone zone.
So just because a DJI product can start does not mean it is a legal area.
And on the other hip, there are a lot of places a DJI product should fly but doesn't.
My small hometown had a class D with a DJI restriction zone over it.
It says the center 1/2 mile is a no fly zone and the rest is a 200ft limit.
While I was on the outside edge of the 200 limit, the spark would only fly for 30 seconds, warn me I am in Class D zone and auto land.

And don't forget heliports, they count too.
Your best bet is to get the AirMap app.
Make sure to zoom in on your flying site as the app will show all restrictions in the default view.
The more you zoom in, the fewer restrictions you will see

Actually, they will start...in certain areas.
I am currently in Las Vegas and according to DJI no fly map that marks where the DJI product will not start...it will fly near the Fountains at Bellagio. However, that spot is within the McCarran Class B airspace SFC to 10,000ft - meaning, no drone zone.
So just because a DJI product can start does not mean it is a legal area.
And on the other hip, there are a lot of places a DJI product should fly but doesn't.
My small hometown had a class D with a DJI restriction zone over it.
It says the center 1/2 mile is a no fly zone and the rest is a 200ft limit.
While I was on

And don't forget heliports, they count too.
Your best bet is to get the AirMap app.
Make sure to zoom in on your flying site as the app will show all restrictions in the default view.
The more you zoom in, the fewer restrictions you will see

Just downloaded AirMap. Thanks

... as I was leaving I saw a police officer heading to the exact spot I was just flying in. I see this park mentioned in searches as a good place to fly and have also seen videos of it, but I find it highly coincidental that the cop was driving to my exact spot and no one else was around....
Did the police officer actually say anything to you? Or did you just freak out? If you weren't doing anything wrong, what's the issue? There are plenty of places to legally fly. And the Spark is so small that most people probably will not even notice it or will think that it's just a "toy". Relax and enjoy the hobby.

Did the police officer actually say anything to you? Or did you just freak out? If you weren't doing anything wrong, what's the issue? There are plenty of places to legally fly. And the Spark is so small that most people probably will not even notice it or will think that it's just a "toy". Relax and enjoy the hobby.

Good points. Actually he was just pulling up as we had gotten in the car and were driving away. I am going to just relax a bit, but unfortunately I don’t know if I was doing anything wrong. I searched the parks websites and couldn’t find any information or rules on UAS flight in the park. I guess that means it is ok and I am in the clear. I will probabaly call them this week when the offices are open again. I want to enjoy the hobby and I really want to be sure I am following all of the rules, it just seems difficult to keep up with them.

Good points. Actually he was just pulling up as we had gotten in the car and were driving away. I am going to just relax a bit, but unfortunately I don’t know if I was doing anything wrong. I searched the parks websites and couldn’t find any information or rules on UAS flight in the park. I guess that means it is ok and I am in the clear. I will probabaly call them this week when the offices are open again. I want to enjoy the hobby and I really want to be sure I am following all of the rules, it just seems difficult to keep up with them.

It really is confusing.
I try my best to keep up too.
Best thing that happened in my state, They passed a "Critical infrastructure" law that defines those areas AND kills ALL municipal ordinances.

The municipal ordinances can be reinstated but through an FAA approval process.
For 3 years this July 4th, I have tried to find a way to fly during our local fireworks display.
City park encompasses the launch point and city has an ordinance no flying in city parks.
I plan to drop it on them that their June council meeting that their ordinance is null and void.
Not enough time to get FAA approval and reinstate the ordinance. :D

Thanks AeroMirage, I have a boat and was hoping to get some footage while out at Jordan lake. It looks like that can’t happen as State parks don’t allow take off or landing. Maybe I am just being too hyper aware and need to loosen up a little bit.
I have a boat also and my buddy will just take his phantom 4 pro off from the fishing deck or hand launch. Hovering behind the boat getting footage of us fishing. This is on Tillery in Montgomery county also.

NCDOT: About UAS Operation & Permitting
NC division of Aviation has oversight on drones launched and landed within state boundaries. You cannot fly from or land on state property. My suggestion is off course know your FAA rules and research the state and then the county then city. Do your homework and fly safe. At all costs in NC don't mess with the wildlife, or hunters.. NC game and fish will pin you to the wall.

Deep breaths and relax... My P3A is much more 'intimidating' and I've never had anyone give me a problem. Lots of curious people.... but that's it. Be friendly and willing to show them the Spark. Curious people LOOK.

Learn about the map in the app, and FAA rules, and don't be shy about calling a local airport if you're within 5 miles... Most times they'll ask a few questions and tell you to enjoy your flight. There's nothing better than someone asking you about your flying, and you saying you've contacted the FAA prior to flight for approval. You gain public approval quickly.

Like most new things, you'll be self conscience for a while, but with time you get comfortable and start enjoying yourself.

Read the law on the net for a particular area/city. AirMap has designations where you can fly. And if their are no restrictions showing on AirMap I guess you're good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar