Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lighter battery

MyLittleDrony

Join
Sep 16, 2017
I need the spark to be as light as possible for a project, but there isn't a whole lot of weight in the spark to play with , but one of the most obvious areas of interest is in the battery casing.

And then I thought....

Would it be possible to take away some 1 or 2 of the 3 cells and just have a drone which flies for a much shorter period of time, if this is possible, does anyone know if its just as case of ripping a cell out, or is it (I suspect) much more complex than that?

Thanks

Would it be possible to take away some 1 or 2 of the 3 cells and just have a drone which flies for a much shorter period of time, if this is possible, does anyone know if its just as case of ripping a cell out, or is it (I suspect) much more complex than that?

Thanks

The cells are run in series in order to give the volts needed to run everything. A 3S battery (which the Spark has) is ~12V, if you took away one or two, it would drop to 8v and 4v respectively. You could probably get away with smaller cells, but then you would need a higher C battery in order to match the output.

You are right there isn't much to shave off. Suggstions I would have all rely on the body. Punch holes in the arms, the body, the top lid, the battery casing. But even then, probably just a few grams, not sure it would do much. Modding to a smaller battery for very short flights might be your best bet.

Reactions: MyLittleDrony
The cells are run in series in order to give the volts needed to run everything. A 3S battery (which the Spark has) is ~12V, if you took away one or two, it would drop to 8v and 4v respectively. You could probably get away with smaller cells, but then you would need a higher C battery in order to match the output.

You are right there isn't much to shave off. Suggstions I would have all rely on the body. Punch holes in the arms, the body, the top lid, the battery casing. But even then, probably just a few grams, not sure it would do much. Modding to a smaller battery for very short flights might be your best bet.
GR8 reply thanks.

There is an Italian company modding the Spark to weight 299g, but WITH prop guards! This way, it can be used in Italy where otherwise, drones would be prohibited.

I am not so concerned about weight, but I would sure like a longer flight time on my Spark. Does anyone think DJI will eventually upgrade technology to allow the spark to fly longer?

I am not so concerned about weight, but I would sure like a longer flight time on my Spark. Does anyone think DJI will eventually upgrade technology to allow the spark to fly longer?

Doubtful, at least nothing significant. I'd see it getting lighter, but being crammed with more tech (such as rear sensors), which require more CPU, so more energy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502