Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Litchi Mission Hub and VLM

TerenceM

Join
Aug 15, 2017
I've planned some waypoint missions using the Litchi Mission hub and have saved them as VLM to fly virtually on Google Earth.

I have one mission with just five WP yet Mission Hub will not save them as a VLM with the error "can't convert to". The only difference with this flight plan is that it flies though an arch. Could this be the reason why?

I've planned some waypoint missions using the Litchi Mission hub and have saved them as VLM to fly virtually on Google Earth.

I have one mission with just five WP yet Mission Hub will not save them as a VLM with the error "can't convert to". The only difference with this flight plan is that it flies though an arch. Could this be the reason why?

- I don't think so. I have simulated a number of missions that fly under bridges, etc., and it doesn't seem to matter.

BTW - If you are using the VLM software, doesn't it use CSV files as input? Doesn't other simulation software use KML files? I don't see anywhere that you can create files with an extension of VLM.

Thanks and Regards...Chris

Thanks for your remarks.
Still getting the same problem. I've created several other flights, and with all have managed to create VLM missions.
You're right, in Mission Hub viewed through Chrome on my Mac you have the option of saving as a VML - see screenshot - but the actual file is a KML.

Thanks for your input, Cheers

Terence

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 11.13.26.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 11.13.26.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 11.15.55.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 11.15.55.png
    27 KB · Views: 7
Here's how I use Mission Hub then send it to Google Earth:

1. Use Firefox (this won't transfer to Google Earth with IE or Edge - I have not tested it with Chrome) to create your mission.
  2. Make sure you have clicked on SETTINGS and checked the "Use Online Elevation" box.
  3. When complete, click on MISSIONS, then Export as VLM:
  4. 1600373296640.png
  5. This should fire up Google Earth on your computer:
  6. 1600373469043.png
  7. Click the "Open with Google Earth (default)" box and click OK.
  8. 1600373569373.png
  9. In your "Temporary Places", it will create a selection called "litchi_mission". Click the black triangle next to that to expand it:
  10. 1600373647555.png
  11. Double-click the "Virtual Mission" item, and the show will begin.
  12. 1600373739564.png
  13. Also, under "Places", you can download the "DJI Cameras - Field of View" plug-in. I can't recall how I did that. It doesn't seem to do anything to my mission though, no matter what field of view I select.
  14. 1600373853224.png
I hope this helps you out.

Jim

Thanks for your input Jim, but this Is what I also do. Excstly the same way, but I use Chrome instead of Firefox.

since posting my original, i‘ve planned several other missions and all work well in GE, except the one.

You had the Cruising Speed (in Settings) set to 0 mph. I changed it to 25 and now it works fine. I would not run that mission as-is, however. 6 ft is awful close to the ground! I'm guessing you just threw that together as a test run.

Reactions: RotorWash
Ah, I didn't realise that speed would make such a difference to a VLM Mission. Thanks.

It is intentional; the first flight will be an approach to the gate, then a vertical descent and end of mission. Mission two, is this one - the speed was set at zero, so that I could control it with the right stick on my P3A or in tripod mode on my Spark.

I do this quite often in my videos, but this it baffled me. Take a look at some of these, especially the Mdina, Alberobello, Cisternino and Vittoriosa videos. www.youtube.com/c/TerenceMirabelli

Meantime, many thanks for pointing out my error.

Reactions: RotorWash
That is fantastic subject matter! You might consider using a DJI Osmo Action or GoPro camera with image stabilization on the alley shots, esp. since they are fairly low to the ground. Then you don't have to worry about the drone crashing into the walls. You could also simply hold the drone in your hand while you walked through the alleyways. I'd be worried about the buildings blocking satellites, and the drone drifting into the buildings/tunnels. Thanks sharing your work!

I do use a Go Pro and Zhyun handheld stabiliser. One tool that I found especially useful is a dash cam - it has a wide field of view and comes in handy for ground-level shots.

Will let you known when this "epic" is completed!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex