Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

long term battery storage

warrentel

Join
May 23, 2018
I probably won't be flying my Spark over the winter months. Should I drain my batteries? Charge them fully and set them aside? Leave them sitting on the charger all winter? Any ideas?

Charge them between 50 to 60 percent. I keep my battery at this power level when not in use. It does an auto discharge to whatever is set on the battery. The default is 10 days I think.

I probably won't be flying my Spark over the winter months. Should I drain my batteries? Charge them fully and set them aside? Leave them sitting on the charger all winter? Any ideas?
From DJI publications
For storage longer than 10 days:
store at between 41 and 74 degrees Farenheit Store in non flamable containers .Discharge down to between 40 and 65%
If a battery is stored with less than 10% power for long periods of time, it may enter hibernation, and become useless. Try to charge the battery if this happens, but don't use if battery fails to charge, or hold charge after hibernation

They are "smart batteries". They will rapidly discharge to the ideal level for long term storage when they detect 6-10 days of inactivity.

But like all batteries they will continue to discharge slowly until empty. So ideally you can avoid this by charging them up periodically. Maybe every 6-8 weeks.

There's no hard evidence specifically for the Spark but in general that's a popular recommendation for lithium polymer batteries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh