Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Looking to buy spark mini drone- what accessories are MUST HAVES?

2talll

Join
Dec 21, 2018
I’ve been thinking about getting a drone to use for photography when hiking, going to the beach etc. nothing too fancy, just want something to take simple pics. I found the spark at kohl’s and was thinking of getting it. It’s super basic and doesn’t come with anything, so what else would I need to get?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Sparksupersonic
The remote for certain, a bag to carry the drone and any extras. You can fly the spark with a phone but with really short range only, you need the remote. So those things are minimum. But you’re better served with an extra battery or 2. Probably a gimble cover, which is cheap.
After those things in my opinion, extras are just based on personal wants.
I too bought the spark as a small and simple flying camera, and it works really well for that. Aside from the spark I had what I listed as musts, and a few other smaller items. That was enough.
Should mention mine disconnected and flew away, which happens. Learn all about the drone, and consider getting one of those tile type of small tracking devices to attach to it somehow.
Although not a must, for me personally, my next drone will fly with a tracking device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tankbogan
SPARE BATTERIES because only 13 minutes airtime each

SPARE PROPS because you'll break a few learning to fly

NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTER PACK because you'll want to give your video a cinematic effect

SUN HOOD FOR PHONE because screen washed out in direct sunlight

GIMBAL COVER because it's sooooo fragile and expensive to fix

Extra SD CARD because you'll find your main card is full or got left in your computer

I have a well stocked 'go bag' so I never leave home with anything left behind

As others have said, at minimum get the kit with the remote controller, and buy at least 1 or 2 extra batteries and a micro SD card if yours doesn't come with one (most don't).

The "fly more bundle" comes with the remote controller, 2 batteries, a better 3 spot battery charger, and a basic carrying bag, and you can find this bundle on sale for about $400 now with a good sale. Micro Center has this bundle for under $400 currently, in store only.

I agree with Mano, get the fly more combo.
You won't regret.
The remote is a must to get all the amazing
capabilities of the Spark. Plus the extra battery,
charger, props, carrying bag.

Reactions: Mikej and tmarez
Or if you are on a budget, buy the remote control Spark for under $300 on sale, then later you can pick up another battery on sale for $35, a decent carry case for $25 or less, and you can buy lots of great little items like gimble protectors, RC protectors, battery latches, etc, for $1.50 each on EBay via China....All that stuff comes from China anyways. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks you can buy it for a fraction of Amazon prices. I would only buy the drone itself from an authorized dealer though, or warranty could be void.

And look into DJI's insurance for $59, called DJI Care Refresh. That's your most important "must have", IMHO.

another excellent gadget.... a phone/tablet mount that used the Remote Controller's latches to hold a plate upon which the mount sits. Using the Stock RC Controller latch, I was unable to easily press the icons on the phone screen that are near the edges (that would be most control icons :( The phone/ tablet mount solves that problem, and allows the use of the largest tablets with your RC controller. See Amazon, of course :)

also.... a MUST HAVE... for the sake of both range and video return clarity..... the OTG cable. This allows you to connect your RC Contoller directly to your phone. You will need to know what connector your phone has. The DJI RC controller uses a MicroUSB. You can buy cords with almost any combination of connectors. EBay and Amazon.

Reactions: Mikej
Another vote for filters. I never planned to buy them but at the price I got them for I couldn't pass them up. They make a difference, especially the polarized if you're filming at/near water.

FILTERS

They appear to still be in stock. Get them while you can.

The remote for certain, a bag to carry the drone and any extras. You can fly the spark with a phone but with really short range only, you need the remote. So those things are minimum. But you’re better served with an extra battery or 2. Probably a gimble cover, which is cheap.
After those things in my opinion, extras are just based on personal wants.
I too bought the spark as a small and simple flying camera, and it works really well for that. Aside from the spark I had what I listed as musts, and a few other smaller items. That was enough.
Should mention mine disconnected and flew away, which happens. Learn all about the drone, and consider getting one of those tile type of small tracking devices to attach to it somehow.
Although not a must, for me personally, my next drone will fly with a tracking device.
All the above, and at least a 32 gig mini SD card, Watch the videos on utube for sure on how 2s. I got mine in June and so far its been great, check around for prices , I bought mine from drone nurds refurbished with the fly more combe , great deal have no issues at all.The fly more combo is a good buy but check around.

Another vote for filters. I never planned to buy them but at the price I got them for I couldn't pass them up. They make a difference, especially the polarized if you're filming at/near water.

FILTERS

They appear to still be in stock. Get them while you can.
Thanks for letting us know... I jumped on that as soon as I saw your post lol

Are there better gimbal covers than others? there seems to be mixed reviews on some where the top of the video has a black line on it blocking some of the footage.

Are there better gimbal covers than others? there seems to be mixed reviews on some where the top of the video has a black line on it blocking some of the footage.

This thread is mixing the 2 types of gimbal "covers".

1. A true cover is for protection of camera/gimbal during transport and is removed for flight:

1F07546C-34D1-4CFB-94E6-9FDCF328E532.jpeg

2. What you are referring to is more commonly called a "camera hood" which is added for flight to block sun flares and give some protection in a crash or hard landing:

E85694E9-D908-4762-B387-70AC0AFD2E08.jpeg

It's good to have one of each as they serve different purposes. The photos I included are the better of several designs offered - it never shows up on photo or video

Have fun!

Think about what you want to do with the Spark before you buy a bunch of accessories. I got my Spark a year ago at Christmas. I got the basic Spark with controller. I didn't get the flymore combo because I didn't want or need some of the items in that pack (shoulder bag, prop guards, charging hub). Instead, I bought the Spark Portable Power Pack which includes two extra batteries, and the Charging Station Bag which holds the Power Pack and controller. This setup works perfectly for me when I go travelling, biking, hiking, skiing or snowmobiling. The Power Pack completely protects the Spark (no gimbal cover required) and two extra batteries in addition to being able to charge everything on the go. Plus, it makes it quick and easy to get in air - open bag, remove Spark from Power Station, connect and launch - no fumbling with any accessories.

As a new flyer, I think as others have suggested, the Refresh package is a must. I got the refresh package with mine and it expires today (Dec. 26th) even though I never used it, it still gave me piece of mind in case I did have an accident. I have extended it for another year with the Refresh Plus package.

Lots of good suggestions have been mentioned above, but as I said earlier, its important to think about what you really need for what you want to do with the Spark before buying lots of extra accessories that you may never use or use very little.

Chris
Happy Holidays!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena