Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Low noise props

Join
Mar 17, 2019
Hi just wondering if any of my fellow Spark fans have come across any decent low noise props. I have found carbon fibre ones on Amazon does anyone know if there any good?Screenshot_20190512-143822_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Warning...

There are Spark props listed on Amazon that claim to be low-noise but when you look at the pictures there is nothing special about the design. It's a bogus claim. The seller is just spoofing the description tags to show up first in a search. Don't get ripped off.

I've searched high and low but not found any true low-noise props for the Spark. I'd try them in a heartbeat.

What would the advantage of carbon fiber props? The weight difference can't be very significant as even the stock props are so lightweight. I've read the CF blades are harder and sharper -- if true those are both disadvantages.

No such thing as low noise props seems to be the consensus from EVERYONE I’ve talked to. I am curious about the LED props that are on Amazon though.. never any reviews and none are eligible for Amazon Prime.

I wonder...
What if there were 4 blade props for the spark? I know nothing about aerodynamics, but could the motors then be turned slower, which means less prop speed? The noise comes from the tips approaching the sound barrier.

No such thing as low noise props seems to be the consensus from EVERYONE I’ve talked to. I am curious about the LED props that are on Amazon though.. never any reviews and none are eligible for Amazon Prime.

I’m in a different part of the world, w ready access to cheap Chinese DJI kit. Please don’t use AC power train accessories from a cheap provider.

A friend gave me this set...$38....they are fun, 15’ up.

Reactions: JJJONZ
I wonder...
What if there were 4 blade props for the spark? I know nothing about aerodynamics, but could the motors then be turned slower, which means less prop speed? The noise comes from the tips approaching the sound barrier.

You know nothing about aerodynamics, but the sonic boom is easy? Yes, with 4 blades the motor (if not redesigned) would be placed under additional load. The props would be subject to more mechanical stress, and the battery (and electronics) would be further stressed.

You can’t beat physics.

Warning...

There are Spark props listed on Amazon that claim to be low-noise but when you look at the pictures there is nothing special about the design. It's a bogus claim. The seller is just spoofing the description tags to show up first in a search. Don't get ripped off.

I've searched high and low but not found any true low-noise props for the Spark. I'd try them in a heartbeat.

What would the advantage of carbon fiber props? The weight difference can't be very significant as even the stock props are so lightweight. I've read the CF blades are harder and sharper -- if true those are both disadvantages.

The main advantage, as I understand it, is that carbon fiber props are more efficient because they are much stiffer than plastic or fiberglass. Efficiency is lost when the props flex.

Reactions: SaigonDude
The main advantage, as I understand it, is that carbon fiber props are more efficient because they are much stiffer than plastic or fiberglass. Efficiency is lost when the props flex.

From what I've seen on YouTube that theoretical "increased efficiency" does not translate into more flight time - so I still don't think any added stiffness is an advantage -- just a marketing gimmick.

The carbon fiber blades definitely look cool - but that’s not enough to persuade me

From what I've seen on YouTube that theoretical "increased efficiency" does not translate into more flight time - so I still don't think any added stiffness is an advantage -- just a marketing gimmick.

The carbon fiber blades definitely look cool - but that’s not enough to persuade me

I think there are different forms of efficiency and in this case, they are more efficient in terms of performance. That doesn't necessarily translate to more flight time however. In the helicopter world, carbon fiber blades equate to a more responsive more precise machine. No one uses carbon blades for additional fight time.

I think there are different forms of efficiency and in this case, they are more efficient in terms of performance. That doesn't necessarily translate to more flight time however. In the helicopter world, carbon fiber blades equate to a more responsive more precise machine. No one uses carbon blades for additional fight time.

"Increased efficiency... Improved performance"... In the absence on any measurable benefits those are just marketing buzzwords.

Amazon will let their vendors claim just about anything

They are LESS efficient than factory props. The flexure of factory prop provide a bit of shock absorption. But you can fly faster and turn sharper corners, if that is a priority.

Carbon fiber props are much better at cutting fingers :p Don't see another advantage. If you like palm launch and landing stay with the stock probs

Carbon fiber props are much better at cutting fingers :p Don't see another advantage. If you like palm launch and landing stay with the stock probs

Yep....if you’re a qualified drone racer, at the AR-FPV Dubai finals, CF is required. Otherwise, hazardous, but cool.

If you look at the stock props on the Mavic Pro Platinum, thats what is needed in Spark format. But the same arguments could be made about stressing the infrastructure of the Spark...

large_91d3322e-d2e7-474b-8695-6a39aedce9e9.jpg

Reactions: Andre Levite
If you look at the stock props on the Mavic Pro Platinum, thats what is needed in Spark format. But the same arguments could be made about stressing the infrastructure of the Spark...

large_91d3322e-d2e7-474b-8695-6a39aedce9e9.jpg

Yes! That is certainly the primary reason that DJI never offered low noise props for the Spark - excess demand on the motors.

Due to the added stress the motor the Mavic Pro Platinum needed have beefed up ESC units. For the Spark to handle that load they would likewise need a similar hardware upgrade.

Case in point... When I had the low-noise props from a Platinum on my standard MP1 an error message would pop up during flight (only when max speed + max ascent). It said something like "Warning - voltage load excessive" - pretty scary when you are 300' above the ocean - worse on windy days. Error messages went away when standard props reinstalled.

I'm not clear how excess demand on the motors can actually improve flying time, as indicated in the DJI Store blurb. The physics just don't make sense to me. Any thoughts on this, or should we assume it's DJI marketing BS? ;)

Reactions: Andre Levite
I'm not clear how excess demand on the motors can actually improve flying time, as indicated in the DJI Store blurb. The physics just don't make sense to me. Any thoughts on this, or should we assume it's DJI marketing BS? ;)

This video answers your question in great detail. Sounds like the new ESC design is the key upgrade that make the low noise props work efficiently to decrease battery consumption and extend flight time - not the props themselves.

DJI Low-Noise Props come Explained

This guy's videos are extremely informative, accurate and thorough. He's a real pro but the videos are long. In hindsight I've learned more from him than all other YouTube channels combined. He's a DJI fanboy but still remains objective. Worth browsing his library for sure.

This video answers your question in great detail. Sounds like the new ESC design is the key upgrade that make the low noise props work efficiently to decrease battery consumption and extend flight time - not the props themselves.

DJI Low-Noise Props come Explained

This guy's videos are extremely informative, accurate and thorough. He's a real pro but the videos are long. In hindsight I've learned more from him than all other YouTube channels combined. He's a DJI fanboy but still remains objective. Worth browsing his library for sure.

Very interesting video, but he doesn't really address the additional ESC/motor stress vs. extended flight time claim for the Mavic Pro (which lacks the updated electronics). DJI states specifically that benefits in flight time are realized: "Noise reduction and flight time are also enhanced when used with the Mavic Pro ..."

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast