Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

LVM vs actual flight

dataengine66

Join
Feb 5, 2019
Does anyone have a Litchi Virtual Mission on google earth, and the actual mission from the spark? That would be interesting.

I haven't flown the actual mission yet but the Google Earth virtual mission of a friends property looks so realistic that when he saw it he wanted to know when I was at his house with my drone.
On a VM that I made for my daughter's place all of the buildings look flat against the ground. I assume that a realistic VM relies purely on how much data is in Google Earth.
There are some excellent examples of this on You Tube like this one -

Reactions: Highflyer
What exactly do you want to know?
Neither Maps or Earth will show a perfect world if we're speaking about heights and features..

Example:
Mission pre-flight check

Flight:

Reactions: nilanjan118
I find it's not perfect, but pretty close. I tend to run VLM to check for trees and buildings and approximately what it will look like. I know trees grow and buildings change but I always allow plenty of clearance. It does give you a go at honing the mission before flying it.

I did a friends wedding recently and she wanted a shot of a vintage car driving towards the venue. I planned it in Litchi, ran VLM and did a couple of actual test runs just to fine tune the shot as I wanted it to be exact. Worked out perfectly :)

I would say that as well as approximate view, you can tell if your track is too near or too far from the subject for your perfect shot. Again, final adjustments on site will be necessary but it does save a lot of experimenting when flight time is limited.

HOw do you setup and run a vlm?
Thanks
Here are the notes I use to help jog my memory between uses:
1. Create Mission using Mission Hub ( I do this on my PC ) Have never done it using a phone or tablet.
2. Once created, export mission as CVS file to your desktop or folder of your choice
3. Open VLM
4. Click Setup
5. Select the Drone type and click the parameters you want
6. Go to Select CVS File then Browse then Select the CVS file you want to fly
7. Google Earth will automatically open (must have Google Earth Pro installed).
8. In the left window panel you will see Temporary Places with your CVS file as a sub folder.
9. Click the arrow icon beside of CVS file, it will open 2 sub folders (Virtual Mission ) and ( Diagnostics )
10. Double click on the Virtual Mission folder and it will start flying the Litchi Mission, depending on whether the latest satellite imagery is current in will give you a pretty good representation of your flight using 3D modeling.
To create a Virtual Mission movie:
In Diagnostics (on the left side) turn off things you don’t want to see in the video like Waypoints.
Select Record A Tour (icon at the top)
Click on the Record button just above the player control (at the bottom)
Click the Play button in the player control
Click Stop recording and Stop playback
Click the Save button at the end of the player, name it, then close the player
Select Tools/Movie Maker
Select where to save and give it a name
Select the video parameters and the file type (fairly low res. i.e. 800 X ?, MP4)
Create the movie
The result can then be edited with a movie editor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe