Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Managing the Spark's Batteries for long life

jimbug

Join
May 27, 2017
Assuming the Spark batteries act like the Mavic Pro's I'm interested in Mavic Pro owners ideas on the best way to manage the Spark's Intelligent batteries to get the most life out of them. How do you discharge them when the Spark is not going to be flown? And any other thoughts on charging/discharging that you have learned are best practices. Thanks in advance.

I assume the Spark batteries will use the same/similar Intelligent batteries as the Mavic; thus there is no maintenance involved. My Mavic batteries begin to slowly discharge after 7 or so days.

I guess once we have extra batteries we could fly Spark until each battery is either discharged or at 50%. Thus saving it from discharging itself and losing that half cycle forever.

Every DJI product that is launched always launches with a battery shortage. I'm guessing if they produced batteries in large quantities ahead of time it will reveal too much about a new product. The battery shortages always seem to last two to three months after the announcement of the new product. Companies in the north america will receive batteries in small quantities until the shortage & demand equalize.

They probably are working right up to launch date to make batteries the best they can be. It seemed some of the early Mavic Pro batteries were slightly different than later ones.

I did some research and found DJI uses LiPo batteries which are constantly being improved with better electrolytes as well as better cell design increasing energy storage.
The Mavic and Spark are still too new to see next-gen tech in improved battery capacity but Phantom users probably noticed that they could find batteries ranging from 4480mah to 5500mah (every bit counts when drones put high drain on battery).

In addition, LiPo batteries behave like cellphone batteries. Don't recharge if available energy is over 70%, drain below 50% before recharging. Partial charging counts as a partial charge cycle. 2 - 50% charges counts as a single charge cycle on battery's life. More cycles means max original capacity slowly diminishes over time.

Can't wait until tech like this is put into drones.
Magnesium battery - Wikipedia
More capacity, lighter weight.

The batteries are intelligent and are self managed. I usually set mine to self discharge after 3 days of non-use.
With lipos, never store them fully charged or fully drained. It should be kept under 50% charge.

As per riseaboveaerials FAQ page:
Buy DJI Spark Fly More Combo - Rise Above Australia

Maintenance
How often should I fully charge my Spark batteries?
It is recommended to fully charge Spark batteries at least once every three months.

There is mention of "Hibernation mode".
My newly purchased battery is not responding when I press the power button. What should I do?
New batteries are shipped in Hibernation Mode. In order to activate your newly purchased battery, charge it fully.

And charging via USB
How long does it take to fully charge a battery?
When using a standard USB charger, it takes 80 minutes to fully charge a battery.
When using a Charging Hub, it takes 52 minutes to fully charge one battery, 55 minutes when charging two batteries and 85.2 minutes when charging three batteries at the same time.

The batteries are intelligent and are self managed. I usually set mine to self discharge after 3 days of non-use.
With lipos, never store them fully charged or fully drained. It should be kept under 50% charge.

Maintenance
It is recommended to fully charge Spark batteries at least once every three months.

My newly purchased battery is not responding when I press the power button. What should I do?
New batteries are shipped in Hibernation Mode. In order to activate your newly purchased battery, charge it fully.

And charging via USB
When using a standard USB charger, it takes 80 minutes to fully charge a battery.
When using a Charging Hub, it takes 52 minutes to fully charge one battery, 55 minutes when charging two batteries and 85.2 minutes when charging three batteries at the same time.
How do you set the batteries to self discharge?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Maintenance

And charging via USB

You’re thinking of mavic batteries. Spark batteries don’t have a setting for discharge.

The batteries have a fix time of 10 days for self-discharging.

Reactions: visualsmith

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme