Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Maps - Do I really need them?

Jim Nielsen

Join
Apr 11, 2018
Loc
Omaha, NE
I just got an iPhone 7 plus that I use ONLY for the spark.

I removed the sim (no service anyway) and when I connect to the remote, I don't have any internet.

Since there is no internet, I don't get any maps.

My question is, do I really need to worry about the maps? I fly by sight or by video feed.

Is there any problem if I never get maps? I assume that GPS is what it uses to know it's location and RTH and not the maps right?

Are the maps just there in case you can't see it and want to follow the map instead of flying by your video? (or to get a general location in case of a fly away or crash?)

Thanks!

I am the same...I use an iPhone 6 plus with no SIM. I don't have maps normally and don't really worry about it. Where they would be very helpful is if you end up losing your drone and need to figure out where it might be. You can also download them if you can connect to a wifi/internet source near where you are going to fly.

The maps will give you info about what you are flying over. Sometimes for privacy stuff or reducing risk in case of failure, it can be helpful know it.
But yes, it is optional, if you don't fly too far away.

You can download your maps prior to flying and tick Maps offline

Unfortunately that option has been removed on the latest version of DJI Go 4. I'm trying to stay updated on the app. (Not the firmware) to see how things go with the iPhone. (also, I'm an Android user, so this iPhone stuff is a bit weird for me...still getting used to how to use the phone...lol)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme