Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Mini vs. Spark

What do you guys think? If the Mini mavic sales are sluggish, do you think it may drop to $399 for the MM and remote?
Back in the day the spark alone was $399. Some time passed and then DJI started to offer it WITH the controller for $399 making a lot of people feel dumb.
I'm gonna sit back and watch the feedback for 2-3 months. I will probably buy a 2nd hand one in the future though.

I'll stay with the Spark

Reactions: Crayden and AirCam
What do you guys think? If the Mini mavic sales are sluggish, do you think it may drop to $399 for the MM and remote?
Back in the day the spark alone was $399. Some time passed and then DJI started to offer it WITH the controller for $399 making a lot of people feel dumb.
I'm gonna sit back and watch the feedback for 2-3 months. I will probably buy a 2nd hand one in the future though.

You are going to get the remote at $399.

Different to others, I want a smaller, lighter drone, something easier to carry than the bag came with Spark combo. I didn't really use all the features and I'm happy with a side step as long as the core features are intact. (hobby aerial snaps and some quick videos during holiday)

Lack of manual ISO & White Balance controls, no AEB or Panoramic shooting modes (which I use a LOT), no improvement over JPG only output, removal of hardware controller functions. To name but a few.
Thank you for pointing this out.

I've only ever used exposure compensation, very rarely the others. I'm usually happy with auto exposure photos out of Spark.

Could you provide more info or link to what's included in DJI Fly app with regard to photography?

I am quite disappointed with the Mavic Mini. Sure, 2.7K (why no 4K??) and a better battery life, BUT

- bigger than the Spark (the "in air" size counts, not the "folded-up" size!!!)
- no flight modes like Active Track etc. (really??)
- no customizable button(s) on the RC
- no obstacle sensors
- no OcuSync (so less range here than my FCC modded Spark)
- no mods, no hacks available (there are many for the Spark)
- no battery life indicators anymore (need to connect battery to the charger to see if it is charged)
- 40 MBit video compared to 25 MBit on the Spark BUT when used on 2.7K it could actually result in a lower quality, or not?
- Mini's plastic body feels cheaper than Spark's one

So what's all the hype about? I don't get it :(
Thank you for listing the differences.

For me:
- Never really used active track after initial purchase of Spark.
- Only really use 1 customisable button, to move gimbal down or up quickly. I could live with this.
- I thought it had obstacle sensor! I'll have to think about this
- no battery life indicator is also a negative. This means I'll need to spend more for the charging bank.

Reactions: Crayden
I am quite disappointed with the Mavic Mini. Sure, 2.7K (why no 4K??) and a better battery life, BUT

- bigger than the Spark (the "in air" size counts, not the "folded-up" size!!!)
- no flight modes like Active Track etc. (really??)
- no customizable button(s) on the RC
- no obstacle sensors
- no OcuSync (so less range here than my FCC modded Spark)
- no mods, no hacks available (there are many for the Spark)
- no battery life indicators anymore (need to connect battery to the charger to see if it is charged)
- 40 MBit video compared to 25 MBit on the Spark BUT when used on 2.7K it could actually result in a lower quality, or not?
- Mini's plastic body feels cheaper than Spark's one

So what's all the hype about? I don't get it :(

I tought the Mini used Enhanced WiFi like the Air? If so, its a big step up from the Sparks poor choppy WiFi transmission. I have both Spark and Air in FCC.

Last edited:
All the video samples I have seen so far look over exposed and in dire need of PL filtering. But I was more impressed than I expected to be about stability in the wind. Still, its not for me. I dont mind being registered, having passed my exam, so I will go for bigger heavier drones next spring.

You can read about the pain or gain here.... Mavic Mini Discussions

I tought the Mini used Enhanced WiFi like the Air? If so, its a big step up from the Sparks poor choppy WiFi transmission. I have both Spark and Air in FCC.
I'd agree... the reviews I've watched yesterday indicate an enhanced WiFi and their tests have indicated an improvement.

The Mavic Mini isn't a direct Spark replacement... in my opinion it wasn't intended in that market focus.
It's a newly created ultra light & compact market, and it has room to improve with new version or new model.
With the capabilities of the M2P / M2Z why improve on a small craft when a bit larger platform provides the features and improvements in all categories: flight, stability, photos, video, etc. Sadly, the Spark "category" is being phased out for now.

The Mavic Mini was created to introduce a new market segment and I think it'll succeed strongly and stimulate a whole new series of drones; in the mean time DJI will be the market leader in a "new" category that gets attention & stimulates market. To sell more, provide a new class, advertise, package nicely and watch it sell.

Personally the "Ultra Light" under 250g is a bit over hyped; more market hype than anything. At 249g, putting on "any" optional component... even the stickers or a 3rd party skin wrap will exceed the 250g category and require registration. The weight is based on "fly" weight not original design weight. Even if left bare bone, in most locations it'll still need to be flown exercising the same rules & regulations of flight; the lack of registration doesn't dismiss flight rules.

The Ultra Light category, ultra compact will be pushed in marketing & advertisements; it will attract possibly a new consumer group, as well as established Drone Owners. It's an ultra light with more features than any craft near it's weight category, and 2-3 years improved technology at a price point (including current tariffs) below DJI's intro level: Spark from a few years ago. This signals the ability to provide improved electronics in smaller packages and lower cost. DJI is evaluating the market, maybe add a few grams for sensors, IC board for additional FW features & improved camera and add a "Premium Model"; call it the Mavic Mini Pro and you've encompassed the missing Spark components & retained the other improvements.

Regarding the 3rd Party Apps or additional FW features. Running on a different DJI App doesn't rule out 3rd Party Apps like Litchi, DroneLink, MapMadeEasy, etc. The Inspire 1 or M600Pro doesn't run on Go4app but fully supported practically by all 3rd Party Apps. The Mini may not run on Go4app but it can certainly be included in 3rd Party Apps. AND... If the camera controls are within the FW & SDK, all the camera controls could be accessible in 3rd Party Apps.

The Mini has been out 1 day... not even on the Retail shelves yet. The Firmware mods and features capable to be changed or added over the next 3-6 months are vast. Judging a 1 day old product is a little premature.

I'm leaning toward a 2nd version, I foresee the Mavic Mini will most likely receive a "premium" fully featured model... DJI is very reactive and applies marketing extremely well. Look how many bought the Mavic, then later the Mavic Platinum for a very minor change other than props that could be individually purchased.

I see the Mavic Mini as a market trending new product & category. It has the design looks to appeal, small size, ultra light... it's out before Holiday season... it'll sale and it'll be a hot item.

Reactions: Crayden and Haggi
The Mavic Mini isn't a direct Spark replacement... in my opinion it wasn't intended in that market focus.
It's a newly created ultra light & compact market, and it has room to improve with new version or new model.
With the capabilities of the M2P / M2Z why improve on a small craft when a bit larger platform provides the features and improvements in all categories: flight, stability, photos, video, etc. Sadly, the Spark "category" is being phased out for now.

The Mavic Mini was created to introduce a new market segment and I think it'll succeed strongly and stimulate a whole new series of drones; in the mean time DJI will be the market leader in a "new" category that gets attention & stimulates market. To sell more, provide a new class, advertise, package nicely and watch it sell.

Personally the "Ultra Light" under 250g is a bit over hyped; more market hype than anything. At 249g, putting on "any" optional component... even the stickers or a 3rd party skin wrap will exceed the 250g category and require registration. The weight is based on "fly" weight not original design weight. Even if left bare bone, in most locations it'll still need to be flown exercising the same rules & regulations of flight; the lack of registration doesn't dismiss flight rules.

The Ultra Light category, ultra compact will be pushed in marketing & advertisements; it will attract possibly a new consumer group, as well as established Drone Owners. It's an ultra light with more features than any craft near it's weight category, and 2-3 years improved technology at a price point (including current tariffs) below DJI's intro level: Spark from a few years ago. This signals the ability to provide improved electronics in smaller packages and lower cost. DJI is evaluating the market, maybe add a few grams for sensors, IC board for additional FW features & improved camera and add a "Premium Model"; call it the Mavic Mini Pro and you've encompassed the missing Spark components & retained the other improvements.

Regarding the 3rd Party Apps or additional FW features. Running on a different DJI App doesn't rule out 3rd Party Apps like Litchi, DroneLink, MapMadeEasy, etc. The Inspire 1 or M600Pro doesn't run on Go4app but fully supported practically by all 3rd Party Apps. The Mini may not run on Go4app but it can certainly be included in 3rd Party Apps. AND... If the camera controls are within the FW & SDK, all the camera controls could be accessible in 3rd Party Apps.

The Mini has been out 1 day... not even on the Retail shelves yet. The Firmware mods and features capable to be changed or added over the next 3-6 months are vast. Judging a 1 day old product is a little premature.

I'm leaning toward a 2nd version, I foresee the Mavic Mini will most likely receive a "premium" fully featured model... DJI is very reactive and applies marketing extremely well. Look how many bought the Mavic, then later the Mavic Platinum for a very minor change other than props that could be individually purchased.

I see the Mavic Mini as a market trending new product & category. It has the design looks to appeal, small size, ultra light... it's out before Holiday season... it'll sale and it'll be a hot item.
Don’t automatically assume that DJI will release an SDK for the Mini.
They might want to have a tight control on it and release new firmware features *IF* they have to.
Another topic is if the firmware could be ever be decrypted by the ha hackers community to unleash unofficial capabilities and removing restrictions.
I had hopes about the Mini to be an upgrade for my beloved Spark but in many ways is a downgrade.

I predict the Spark will become a classic as the hacker community keep adding new capabilities.

If and when the Mini firmware gets hacked I would consider it as a worthy upgrade.

Someone has drawn up a comparison table:

Anything missing from this article?

Yes, they've missed out the removal of a lot creative options from the Mini compared to the Spark, such as still shooting modes (pano, AEB etc) and no manual exposure controls at all for video.

Also, the fact they rate the Mini as a winner under the Gimbal & Remote Controller is baffling. The Mini remote is dumbed down to the max and, as somebody quite rightly pointed out above, what's the point of a 3 axis gimbal when the video footage you're going to get from it has no manual control or exposure lock, so the exposure is going to fluctuate as you pan, which looks awful on playback.

The whole article just looks like an exercise in herding people to click through the MANY affiliate links throughout it. Or I could be being cynical ;)

The Mini comes with AeroScope.
It basically radio broadcast your GPS location, Speed and Name.
No thanks.
All the new DJI quads released from 2020 on will also feature ADS-B.
So defitely I'm keeping my 2 Sparks and 2 P4Ps

Here is a video about----> DJI AeroScope

What you gain on the swing you lose on the roundabout. MM has no manual video settings so all that potential to pan with a 3 axis gimbal is lost by constantly changing exposure.
Plus, nobody has tested its durability but we know Spark is tough. So MM is a bit of a fizzer.
Maybe just save up for a Skydio 2.

That's such a great point about the 3 axis gimbal and the changing exposure ?

I was genuinely in the market to upgrade my Spark if the Mini ticked the boxes, but having spent a long day yesterday sifting through reviews and specs for the Mini, there are so many things I'd lose from the Spark if I did. Weight and flight time aren't important to me if the creative options have been crippled and, as you point out, the 3 axis gimbal is next to useless unless DJI introduce manual options to the Mini.

On top of all that, my Care Refresh is about to expire, so I'm now looking at jumping into the world of mods and alternate flight apps. Something else the cut down Mini app won't offer for a while I imagine ?

Don’t automatically assume that DJI will release an SDK for the Mini.
They might want to have a tight control on it and release new firmware features *IF* they have to.
Another topic is if the firmware could be ever be decrypted by the ha hackers community to unleash unofficial capabilities and removing restrictions.
I had hopes about the Mini to be an upgrade for my beloved Spark but in many ways is a downgrade.

I predict the Spark will become a classic as the hacker community keep adding new capabilities.

If and when the Mini firmware gets hacked I would consider it as a worthy upgrade.

I've got no doubts the SDK will be available to developers; if they sign & agree to not disclose is an unknown. On the Hacker issue, no concerns regarding "hackers" on these products.

Any 3rd Party app or program requires the SDK, and every 3rd party tool supporting the DJI platform is a benefit for DJI... they encourage 3rd Party development, it strengthens their market. It's not DJI that limits the 3rd party development, it's the "developer" that determines if the platform is profitable to develop or take the time to add to their app or services. The Spark didn't get added to several 3rd party tools at first, and was slowly added to some and still lacks others that could include but choose not to support the Spark.

Firmware beyond the initial 1st release isn't a question, it's a certainty. In addition, with the increase in FAA & airspace requirements, including NFZ, TFR, etc ongoing updated FW will continue.

To encourage additional users to purchase, additional features will most certainly be added. Keep in mind, this is a brand new DJI app and it's most likely in it's early development too. If they add camera controls, that encourages more Buyers, if they add additional autonomous features: ie: Active Track, encourages more Buyers.

Hacks to tweak performance dynamics, camera parameters, NFZ, override TFR, or attitude parameters as examples aren't a concern for the percentages. Similar to the Android & iOS phones; used to perform the hacks/jailbreaks, hold off versions, wait for new hacks. Overall with new hardware, new OS features, the gains became minimal and non-important. Not identical, but similar for the Spark, it's functionality doesn't change with hacks. The hacks aren't updating Spark with improved GPS, ESC, or adding 5 minutes to the flight time. A hacked Spark isn't a replacement for Inspire shooting cinema, a Matrice surveying construction. SW Hacks don't alter dynamics much, and physical mods aren't economical or much improvement.

In addition, flying where not allowed, higher than authorized isn't beneficial both photography and to the sUAV community; it encourages enforcement reactions that damage the whole. Other hacks to tweak camera or performance... eh.. some useful, adds a bit of excitement to others, others not an issue.

I don't fly a Spark for jobs... actually sold my Spark 6-8 months ago... it was an entertainment toy and a low cost "frequency tester" for heavy metro interference areas before I put up a larger platform. Overall an enjoyment craft with the neighborhood kids.

I enjoyed the Spark to just fly & play...always in Sport mode, never used the avoidance sensors and rarely the 2 axis camera. The Mavic Mini, in my opinion will easily outsell the Spark & the Mavic Air for multiple reasons already sited. The early reviews are positive, consumer anticipation is high already; and for me it's an improvement in several ways for my needs with an ultra small craft. May not be equal to a little Anafi Thermal in RGB autonomous modes, but it looks like a great little $400-500 platform.

If Spark fits a persons needs... that's a super fit... Great! Used Sparks are a super buy now!
I still own an Inspire 1 Raw and Inspire 1 Pro v2... probably similar rational; nice crafts and not made the same anymore... they were pure aerial sports cars... don't use them much now, but still like them.

The Mavic Mini will most likely set new standards that will spawn even better versions or crafts... and that's a positive.

The MM has 2.7K a 3 axis gimbal and a more powerful battery, but the spark is still a very powerful drone at a good price. Think that the mini doesn't have the OA, is slower and surely i his materials are cheaper and that means that a crash is enough for broke some pieces, the spark is more resistant than the obsidian and it's even difficult to crash due to the stability and the OA. So I still prefer the spark but I will give you a little tip.
MAVIC MINI:if you have a little bit of experience and want a little drone that make excellent footage and a good battery or if you are a vlogger
SPARK:if you want a little drone that you can trust and crash everywhere and make good footage at the same time. And have a dual GPS, mods and hacks and can go higher (spark:4000 m mm:3000m)and faster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast