Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Mini vs. Spark

It depends on how you fly, and the conditions and parameters you set, I've barely gotten 12-13 minutes on some flights. So while 3x for battery might be a push, its close

I am not an expert and don't play one on TV (or youtube) but I think the 3--Axis gimbal, if your careful on how setup your shots, could easily create better footage than multiple flights with the Spark, and have higher res to top it off. I don't disagree that having more camera options would be very nice, I just think you can work in auto if you had to and get great stuff... I don't think you can overcome hardware limitations of 2-axises and 1080p and say thats better than 3 and 2.7K.

I think the other bottomline is you have to look at the price. As I noted in my original post, the Spark when it rolled out the door was $499 and $699 for Fly More. and the cheap package didn't have the remote, talk about controller limitations. Compare that to $399 & $499, with remote in each case, you have to draw lines somewhere without vandalizing the Mavic Air to some degree, course its anyone guess how long the Mavic Air will be around.. Nothing lasts forever and something will eventually replace it.

Even by you own calculations of 12-13 minutes, the best you'll get from the Mini is x 2 of that, not x3.

What's the point of having to be 'careful' with your shots on a 3-axis gimbal? Surely, you should be able to take advantage of the potential there to pan and tilt as you want, without the exposure blowing out as you go from light to dark or vice versa?

The price of the Mini is aimed at beginners, as is the performance, and that's great, but I'll stand by my opinion that it is in no way an upgrade for anyone who's been using the Spark to it's full potential. Sorry, it just isn't.

Reactions: I B Spectre
I'm not sure how any of that applied since Australia wasn't mentioned.
Europe also defines a limit at 250g or over. The restrictions are significant such as requiring 1 million Euros liability insurance plus airspace restrictions.
The question was which of these onerous requirements will the Mavic Mini be able to skirt around.

Simply stating the 250g thing is different in other countries and I have seen a comment that no registration is required for drones under 20-30kg in a European country I just can’t remember where I saw the comment so that applies to your comment champ.

Simply stating the 250g thing is different in other countries and I have seen a comment that no registration is required for drones under 20-30kg in a European country I just can’t remember where I saw the comment so that applies to your comment champ.
We're not talking about registration - I was asking about exemptions from flying restrictions.
Two separate things.

We're not talking about registration - I was asking about exemptions from flying restrictions.
Two separate things.

Correct me if I’m wrong but registering a drone in the US is the main issue with the 250g weight? So that you are not accountable. (Well maybe not accountable but more difficult to track down if you choose to outside of the rules) Again I’m unaware largely of other countries rules so I use my own as an example to understand other countries. Here if your drone weighs less than 100g you are not restricted from flying within 5.5km of an airspace. That is the only the only real restriction we have other than registration. And then town by town restrictions according to local government.

Besides more creative possibilities, better portability, more connecting options, lots of software support, etc, the Spark can fly ANYWHERE when you mod it.
The Mini's longer fly time, 2K video and 3 axis gimbal are useless to me when it can't even take-off (due to fly restrictions) to get a shot. ?
This is what it really comes down to IMO

I'd get a Mini *IF & WHEN* fly restrictions can be lifted or at least minimized and the software offers more options/controls.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirCam
ok....I was in Atlanta Friday dropping off a P4P v2 for a gimbal ribbon cable issue that I just don’t trust my upclose vision to deal with.
The P4P was my second DJI....the first was a Spark purchased from Wal Mart.....The Phantom is a workhorse that flys Litchi and paid Drone Deploy missions far superior than my stick skills....that said my Max Distance from home and Flight Time on a single battery is more by stick than autonomous modes.

A hard landing with the P4P cost more than The 399.00 Walmart Spark with Controller price.

The spark spent 2 nights upside down in a moist wooded area after trying out cheap led lighted props....11 so months later it hits 1.2 to 1.4 miles and back in a rural setting...

It is a tough bird.

In my environment 2.4 ghz far outperforms 5.8 for control.

I pre paid for a Mavic Mini Fly More Friday.

I am very concerned about the foldable design of the mini.....

I am excited about the 30 min fly time claimed ....

As I read the Mini spec sheet.....it seems the RF power of the Mini is lower than the 2.4 ghz FCC mode power of the Spark.....

Time will tell. Looking forward to some flight time.

Doesn't really lack any features. I'm glad I sold my Spark a month ago and now I will get the Mavic Mini
[/QUOTE
Mavic mini doesn't seem to work with Crystal Sky, not good at all :(

Manual camera settings, active track, hand gesture, not on the Mini.

Also, it cant be tricked into FCC mode easily like the Spark and Air, and from what i have seen on YouTube, the CE range is quite poor.

Last edited:
Manual camera settings, active track, hand gesture, not on the Mini.

Also, it cant be tricked into FCC mode easily like the Spark and Air, and from what i have seen on YouTube, the CE range is quite poor.

What is the CE range?

What is the CE range?

CE is what frequency Europe uses (and many other countries) USA and Canada use FCC which is much stronger. Both Spark and Air can be tricked from CE to FCC very easy by using fake GPS app, but the Mini is firmware limited like the Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 has been hacked though.

CE is what frequency Europe uses (and many other countries) USA and Canada use FCC which is much stronger. Both Spark and Air can be tricked from CE to FCC very easy by using fake GPS app, but the Mini is firmware limited like the Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 has been hacked though.

I know but I mean what actual range the Mini in CE mode has?

I know but I mean what actual range the Mini in CE mode has?
This should help you out, from DJI's Mini Specs:

The model MT1SS5 has Mainland China SRRC standard certification and North American FCC.
The model MT1SD25 is a European CE certification and a Japanese MIC certification.

Operating Frequency
Model MT1SS5: 5.725-5.850 GHz
Model MT1SD25: 2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz

Transmission Power (EIRP)
Model MT1SS5
5.8 GHz: <30 dBm (FCC); <28 dBm (SRRC)
Model MT1SD25
2.4 GHz: <19 dBm (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: <14 dBm (CE)

Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
Model MR1SS5
5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)
Model MR1SD25
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

This should help you out, from DJI's Mini Specs:

The model MT1SS5 has Mainland China SRRC standard certification and North American FCC.
The model MT1SD25 is a European CE certification and a Japanese MIC certification.

Operating Frequency
Model MT1SS5: 5.725-5.850 GHz
Model MT1SD25: 2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz

Transmission Power (EIRP)
Model MT1SS5
5.8 GHz: <30 dBm (FCC); <28 dBm (SRRC)
Model MT1SD25
2.4 GHz: <19 dBm (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: <14 dBm (CE)

Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
Model MR1SS5
5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)
Model MR1SD25
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

I mean in reality...

Besides more creative possibilities, better portability, more connecting options, lots of software support, etc, the Spark can fly ANYWHERE when you mod it.
The Mini's longer fly time, 2K video and 3 axis gimbal are useless to me when it can't even take-off (due to fly restrictions) to get a shot. ?
This is what it really comes down to IMO

I'd get a Mini *IF & WHEN* fly restrictions can be lifted or at least minimized and the software offers more options/controls.

I've been kicking around selling my Spark for the mini. Where can I find this mod for my Spark? Is it for Android users only? I'm an IOS user.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme