Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Mini

Oh I think only time will tell but it's likely an improvement over the Spark. There will be give n takes, but I found reading the FAQ's valuable.

I really really like that it can fly for up to 30min and it comes with the remote at this price.
However it is disappointing that it can not be controlled also from a smartphone like the Spark to offer the ultimate in portability and convenience.
One problem I see is not with the Drone itself but with flight restrictions, it comes with the AeroScope remote identification feature which makes it even more difficult for users to "interpret the law" in cases where is overkill, like flying indoors but under a fly restricted area or when flying just 8' above ground for instance, this thing simply be useless and won't take off just like a heavy brick.

There are other things that were crippled in software like Bracketing shots, Burst mode, etc
This is why yesterday I bought another Spark ($380 Fly-More-Combo), the only thing it lacks is longer fly time and the 2K video, but for that I have the Phantom 4 Pro, Raw, 4k/60P, etc.

I was pretty excited with this until I looked at specs and it looks like it's still just basic WiFi control. Cue the constant fly aways or disconnects.... bye bye drone.... :(

Reactions: TheSnowMan
I was surprised to see the MT1SD25 model has both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz WiFi. Pre-release product tag for FCC filing only showed 5.8GHz. I don't know which model will be available in which countries. This will be a winner for DJI in the entry level drone market. Lack of obstacle avoidance likely a compromise to get under 250 grams. Upgraded resolution and multiple frame rates along with 3 axis gimbal are a huge plus and including a remote control was a pleasant surprise. Other than getting the prop guards, not sure a Fly More Combo variant adds value if it already comes with 3 batteries and charging hub.

I'm confused by DJI FAQ comment:
QuickShot modes include Dronie, Circle, Helix, and Rocket. In the process of locking onto a subject during QuickShots, an algorithm must run on the app, which takes up a lot of memory on your mobile device.

I don't see Active Track mentioned, is it not available on the Mini?

Reactions: TheSnowMan
Other than getting the prop guards, not sure a Fly More Combo variant adds value if it already comes with 3 batteries and charging hub.

Standard comes with only 1 battery and no hub. The Combo has 3, and seems to have quite a few things that make it worth the $100.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Standard comes with only 1 battery and no hub. The Combo has 3, and seems to have quite a few things that make it worth the $100.

(cue Gilda Radner's Emily Latella voice) Oh! That's very different.

DJI site didn't make that clear nor did the evaluator's video review. Their FAQ does say it cannot be flown by phone alone, must have RC, so it's proper that one comes with it. IIRC, if you wanted an RC for the Spark you had to get the Remote Combo or the Fly More Combo. Otherwise you got the Spark alone to fly with gesture mode or your phone.

Last edited:
Too light for me, the winds would take it from me. Will give real droners some bad press in the hands of people who think none of the rules apply to them because its under 250g. Some cool tech, but many corners cut.

All really good comments and concerns in this post. Depends on what you want to do with it. In many respects the Spark is better, others the mavic mini is better.

Honestly, I was not expecting the Mini to be so crippled.
There is no White Balance control, ISO, no Panorama, no Bracketing, No Burst, No tracking, etc.
Remains to be seen if it can be used with Litchi, etc, etc.
So I'm not interested at all.
Perhaps if hackers get to modify the firmware next year or so to unleash more capabilities but for now is Spark and P4P for me.

Honestly, I was not expecting the Mini to be so crippled.
There is no White Balance control, ISO, no Panorama, no Bracketing, No Burst, No tracking, etc.
Remains to be seen if it can be used with Litchi, etc, etc.
So I'm not interested at all.
Perhaps if hackers get to modify the firmware next year or so to unleash more capabilities but for now is Spark and P4P for me.
Nailed it.... Litchi support is a must.
I could be wrong, but there seems to be an EU-model and a FCC-model.

Reactions: nilanjan118
I'm also very disappointed that they removed the Panorama feature. That's one of my favorites. I use it quite often.

If I do end up getting this drone, I would still have to take my spark with me for the features it has that the new mini doesn't. So it's still a tough decision for me.

And the whole WiFi thing is killing me... I may just have to bite the bullet and get a Mavic Pro. (so much $$$ though!)

Reactions: joeke3el
Wow, DJI!

".....and content creators can choose CineSmooth (C) mode to lengthen braking time for smoother shots and more cinematic footage. "

• Haha
Reactions: nilanjan118
I really really like that it can fly for up to 30min and it comes with the remote at this price.
However it is disappointing that it can not be controlled also from a smartphone like the Spark to offer the ultimate in portability and convenience.
One problem I see is not with the Drone itself but with flight restrictions, it comes with the AeroScope remote identification feature which makes it even more difficult for users to "interpret the law" in cases where is overkill, like flying indoors but under a fly restricted area or when flying just 8' above ground for instance, this thing simply be useless and won't take off just like a heavy brick.

There are other things that were crippled in software like Bracketing shots, Burst mode, etc
This is why yesterday I bought another Spark ($380 Fly-More-Combo), the only thing it lacks is longer fly time and the 2K video, but for that I have the Phantom 4 Pro, Raw, 4k/60P, etc.
I like the 30 minutes, too, but not enough to replace Sparky (but I don't fly that often.) I would miss panorama mode.

At this point, I’m only moderately jealous of the longer flight time, better camera, and better gimbal. Seems like the Spark is equal to, or better than, the MM in other aspects. I know it’s not a major thing but I very much dislike the removable joy stick knobs on the Mavic series and I hate it that DJI is sticking with it.

The MM isn’t a product I’ll rush out to buy to replace my Spark. I’ll likely upgrade drones in the future but it’s not looking like it’ll be the MM.

Reactions: I B Spectre

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast