Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic mini

As far as I know from reading things about the MM, the low weight is only getting the new pilots out of having to register their drone with the FAA. They still however, have to follow all of the same rules as every other pilot in the US. Canada is a different issue on that but I have no knowledge of their regulations other than that. I don't know what the low weight would cause if the drone goes into atti mode in a high wind. Seems that would cause more flyaways to me.
You are absolutely right. Even not at a high wind, MM will pop up the warning, then abnormal control (not follow both joystick and auto home command), flyaway, and further more, disconnected in flying mode which leads you cannot find it via GPS data since you do not know where it flies to finally.

I wonder how many Mavic clones out there can match the features of the MM with a lot lower price tag??? ? hmmm

Lower price means some bad features, higher warranty price means high damage possibility. MM is a toy.
I agree. That is why I asked the previous question.

I'm not bashing the MM by any means but for something called a Mavic, I would think it would have at least the same features as the Spark.

I'm not bashing the MM by any means but for something called a Mavic, I would think it would have at least the same features as the Spark.

Why would a "Mavic" have the same features as a "Spark"? There is a reason they didn't call it Spark 2.0.
The key element of last two Mavics (Pro and Air) was fordable arms and the same is available on the Mini as well.

Why would a "Mavic" have the same features as a "Spark"? There is a reason they didn't call it Spark 2.0.
The key element of last two Mavics (Pro and Air) was fordable arms and the same is available on the Mini as well.
What I meant was that the MM has less features than the Spark and from my point of view of the Mavic Mini is that if it is going to be part of the Mavic family, I think it should have at least as many if not the same features as the Spark has. Such as front object avoidance and the controller have some of the same features of the Spark controller.
But at it's price, I understand the elimination of those features in order to offer the MM at it's current price.

What I meant was that the MM has less features than the Spark and from my point of view of the Mavic Mini is that if it is going to be part of the Mavic family, I think it should have at least as many if not the same features as the Spark has. Such as front object avoidance and the controller have some of the same features of the Spark controller.
But at it's price, I understand the elimination of those features in order to offer the MM at it's current price.

I understand your point. The fact that the Mini doesn't have a few features which were present in the Spark is a huge disappointment for current Spark owners. And that means the Mini is not an "upgrade" from the Spark. However for first time drone buyers, the Mini is still a good deal.

Reactions: graywoulf
I understand your point. The fact that the Mini doesn't have a few features which were present in the Spark is a huge disappointment for current Spark owners. And that means the Mini is not an "upgrade" from the Spark. However for first time drone buyers, the Mini is still a good deal.
On that point, we both agree. :)

Reactions: nilanjan118
I think we can all agree that the spark has better ability in strong winds (because of 50g extra weight? more powerful motors?) and we can agree that the Mini has improved radio comms and flight time.

If my main criteria is stability and better control of drone and assuming I will not ignore strong wind warnings, which drone would you recommend in my case.

My vote would be on stability but there lies a dilemma in that the Spark has for reasons that defy logic been discontinued. I bought my Spark because of it's ability to fly in the breezes. I got tired of fighting a breeze to fly my non GPS drones. I have not yet heard any reports from the MM owners on that subject.

As of now April 2020 I have a spark with remote, 2x batteries and a hard shell case. I've had no issues with it as of yet. My question is should I sell and get the mavic mini or would I regret it. Can anyone who has used/owned both give me their opnion on which is the better drone overall.

As I have two Spark drones, I am considering putting one up for trade for a MM. I have seen enough videos and evidence of the MM's ability to deal with a mild breeze as well as the video quality to make me interested in it.

Reactions: JackH84
I own MM and Spark. No way under the sun would I part with my beloved Sparky. As already pointed out MM's weakness is any wind. In fact that is why so many novices fall into that trap. Spark gives a super performance managing wind. Once this God awful virus is gone and I start travelling again it will be with Spark and MM.

Both drones have their points but the strange thing with Spark is that people are more emotionally connected to it for some reason. Going forward I will probably buy Mavic Air 2 as it looks pretty capable. That said, even though it will take me to a fleet of five, Spark will always be my favourite drone.

OK, case closed. Spark rules.

Reactions: JackH84
I own MM and Spark. No way under the sun would I part with my beloved Sparky. As already pointed out MM's weakness is any wind. In fact that is why so many novices fall into that trap. Spark gives a super performance managing wind. Once this God awful virus is gone and I start travelling again it will be with Spark and MM.

Both drones have their points but the strange thing with Spark is that people are more emotionally connected to it for some reason. Going forward I will probably buy Mavic Air 2 as it looks pretty capable. That said, even though it will take me to a fleet of five, Spark will always be my favourite drone.

[/QUOTE

With regards to the MM are there restrictions in the UK to range and what have ya? Can they be bypassed?
Thanks for the reply

Where is the best place to buy a MM from being based in the UK? Do I buy a UK sold version or buy one from China? Will that affect range in UK or will I be no better off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh