Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Pro used

You already have a Spark, so know how to fly DJI / Go4 app ?

If at all possible (local purchase), of course ask to test flight, try functions, record some video, take some photos, download and review.

I'd be a bit wary of buying unseen, even from photos, but if it's a good deal then ask flight info, distance / hours on the AC, battery details for each (# charges etc), ask for recent video / photo examples, ASK them straight out about any crash, rough landings etc, why they're selling (likely upgrading to M2P or whatever) . . . most respect their AC and treat it well, most.

It's a gamble, but then the price should be in relation to risk of 2nd hand.
Try and purchase with some protection, card or paypal.

Good luck, I love my MP, get some 8331 props. So. Quiet ? :)

Oh, and check out the classifieds on the mavicpilots forum . . . there are often good deals coming up on MPs when people there are moving to M2P MzP etc.
There are good deals on M2P also sometimes, even the Air, but I'd rather have the occusync in the more advanced models.

I just bought a used Mavic Pro Flymore setup Saturday morning.

Pro and Cons:
Longer air time. Mavic Range is a let down though, DJI claims 4.3 miles. I fly in optimum conditions and can regularly hit 7500ft with my Spark and threekings. The Mavic gets to 11000 or 12000ft then loses signal on the same open rural corn field flying conditions. The Mavic's Occusync uses the upper band of 2.4ghz. I suspect because of this, it is more prone to interference than the Spark which uses the less populated 5.8ghz.

The Mavic's 3 axis gimble keeps the video buttery smooth and the enhanced video/photography settings are impressive. But you'll need a huge SD card if recording in 4k. For me, I'm using 1080p, so it is a tie with the Spark.

Top Speed. the Mavic can hit 41mph, but not for long, Sport mode really kills the battery fast. Seems optimum efficient speed is ~30mph. So if I am flying at 30mph, that is what the Spark does in Sport. So it is a tie.

Package - The Mavic is big. Especially if you are accustomed to the small Spark. Landing it on my patio table takes a bit more finesse than lil ol Sparky.

Impressions - the Mavic is packed with features and capabilities.....But the Spark with its small stature and nimbleness tugs at my heart. I'm headed away to the mountains this weekend....I'll be taking the Spark.

Too early to say for sure, but the Mavic may be a summer toy then list it for sale in the fall. The Spark is a keeper.

@Mark M ^^^ The argument for 5.8 over 2.4 in your example does not seem to make sense. If its a rural area there should be nearly zero interference or saturation. Perhaps something else is wrong? Where in the world are you? I dont believe this can be a FCC location... not with those results. You dont mention if you are flying at the same altitude or what altitude your results are at...

The Mavic gets to 11000 or 12000ft then loses signal on the same open rural corn field flying conditions

3.3 to 3.6km ?
The difference can be related to all sorts of factors, as mentioned altitude is the main one . . . if you were high, antennas pointed correctly, good LOS between controller and MP, then there may be other things coming into play, even the weather / atmospheric conditions can affect range from day to day.

There are many flight records posts on MavicPilots forum, it can do it but likely not consistently.
Not into it myself, but can see why rural users might be for checking property at distance etc.

Bearing in mind VLOS rules in most countries, I usually keep it pretty close, up to a km once (3300' or so), but in general around 500m (1640').
I'm getting Firehouse Tech ArcIIs for the MP, which will be detachable to fit to the Spark too, using good urethaned velcro tabs strategically stuck on the legs . . . these will allow me to fly somewhat further VLOS, but the spirit of the VLOS rules is usually so you can see any risk close to your drone, and be able to take evasive action (land or change altitude quickly).
If too far away, you don't have the correct perception to do this, and using the camera is very lucky to see what's around and what needs to happen in event of airspace.

The Mavic flight time is all over the Spark though, I routinely get 25 mins from my MP, landing with decent % battery still, the Spark usually 15 mins.
But like flying the Spark for sure, a bit noisy, but ok where I fly normally.

Always nice to hear other people’s comparisons of the two drones.
Before I bought my spark I also looked at the MP. For my needs the spark fitted the bill.

You have to wonder what the (rumored) Spark 2 will have compared to the original.

I am thinking of buying a used Mavic Pro what do I need to look for when inspecting it

This is a reply to the sender as well as the rest of you as I think there may be a lesson to be learned here. I have a used Mavic Pro, basically a Flymore kit, with 3 batteries I purchased this past February which I have never flown. Why? I was not real happy with my Spark's actual 12 minute air time so I wanted to get more time aloft hence the MP purchase. It was from the original owner who had upgraded to a MP2. We test flew it at his AZ home near where I was staying for the winter. I was impressed. I bought it. But guess what? I've learned to live with 12 minutes!! And the more I fly my Spark I'm more and more impressed with what it can do within that time frame. So, my MP sits in the corner of my living room in it's original box surrounded by all of its accessories totally neglected. I'd like to pass it on to somebody who would actually use it so it's now for sale. $600 including free shipping within the US lower 48. If interested, please PM me for details including pics. Thanks! Bill in Seattle

Wonderful comparison for us new comers! Where does the Mavic Air fit in the compassion between the Spark and MP as far as flying experience, flight time, speed and distance? Another Newbie question about this cool occusyc I just learn about, which support it? Spark, Air, MP?

Where does the Mavic Air fit in the compassion between the Spark and MP as far as flying experience, flight time, speed and distance? Another Newbie question about this cool occusyc I just learn about, which support it? Spark, Air, MP?

Brother in law has an Air, it's pretty good as far as size still **, has 4k video, but still WIFI signal to drone . . . which isn't too bad if aware of the usually much shorter range, and often video feed gives a bit of a hiccup.

Mavic Pro models from the MP, MPP to 3 current later models are all occusync, and just one other model afaik, the P4Pv2.

There is Lightbridge and Lightbridge2 used on other Phantoms, and the first inspire, it had same spec distance as occusync.

LOS with all is vital, no good with loads of timber woodland between, hills, other obstacles, etc.

All from memory of past forum post on Mavic Pilots.

** Not that I think the MP is large !!
It's my go to drone in almost all flights.
If I had had a Spark before I owned the MP, well it might have been different, we all tend to love out first drones :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme