Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My first week with the Spark!

1uk3y

Join
Jan 4, 2019
Loc
West Midlands, UK
I’m really enjoying filming with this; I’m starting to get a feel for the kind of style I like filming in! There’s just something about those vertical birds eye view shots, I love those :)

I’m just looking forward to some snow in the UK next! Should make for some nice cinematic opportunities!

Beautiful landscapes. Nice job !!

Reactions: 1uk3y
Absolutely stunning!

Such varied topography: cliffs, ocean, countryside...

Are all those places really close?

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words! I wouldn’t say close but it’s all within 100 miles drive! I made a particular effort to test the spark in a range of different settings.

Waterfalls are next on the list!

Nice video looking forward to seeing more.

Hey in one of your shots you have it just above ground level, moving away from you and then it goes off the cliff. It looks like it drops slightly when it goes off the edge. I thought I remembered from the manual or somewhere it says you should avoid launching from somewhere with a sudden elevation change (like balconies) but I couldn't understand why that would be an issue. Obviously it handled that situation just fine, so I wonder why it was recommended to avoid this scenario?

Very nice video, the Spark is a lot of fun!

Really nice shooting. And it's your first week..!
You have the touch, no doubt. :cool:

Amen to what everybody else says - incredible for the first week. I don't think I could have done that in the first three months. By the way, as a new Spark owner myself, I'm looking for extra tips. Anything unique or special that you have learned in the last week?

Hey in one of your shots you have it just above ground level, moving away from you and then it goes off the cliff. It looks like it drops slightly when it goes off the edge. I thought I remembered from the manual or somewhere it says you should avoid launching from somewhere with a sudden elevation change (like balconies) but I couldn't understand why that would be an issue. Obviously it handled that situation just fine, so I wonder why it was recommended to avoid this scenario?

Very nice video, the Spark is a lot of fun!

Hi, well spotted! I think I made that look a lot worse than it actually was by splitting the shot and then slightly speeding up that shot.. on that particular day there was also a wind blowing from behind me and I think when the Spark went over the cliff it hit a bit of turbulence, I didn’t notice any movement when I was watching the manoeuvre but the footage picked it up quite a bit.. I suppose next time I’ll slow down manoeuvres like that, maybe put it into tripod mode? It doesn’t look much on the film but I was a good 20m away from the edge too, I got worried I’d set the home point too close to the edge and it would land off the cliff!..

Thanks for the thumbs up

Luke.

Wow! What a week.

I've had my Spark for over a year and don't have nearly that quality of footage.

Here's some fun filled facts that you may discover

With obstacle avoidance on Sparks top speed is 6.X mph. With OA off the top speed is 13.X mph
If you fly diagonally, speeds referenced above increase by 50%. Diagonally is right stick (Stick mode 2) at roughly 2 o'clock position, 4, 7, and 10

Some people don't care for Spark's gimbal speed in Tripod mode. This can be improved by leaving the Spark in GPS mode but moving the stick sensitivity slider (in DJI Go 4 app) down. By moving the slider down, top speed can be reduced to Tripod mode speed, but retain GPS gimbal speed.

Here is a video that shows how you can do various things by touching the screen. Not all are applicable for Spark but some are.

Good luck

I especially like the vertical wave footage at 2:00 and up! The patterns are awesome!
Nice video. Also nice to live where such spectacular landscape is the norm.

Reactions: voodoo
Amen to what everybody else says - incredible for the first week. I don't think I could have done that in the first three months. By the way, as a new Spark owner myself, I'm looking for extra tips. Anything unique or special that you have learned in the last week?

Thank you so much! one thing I would consider is the class of Micro SD card you are using. Micro SD cards have very different write speeds, some as low as 10mb/s which would result in blocky footage at faster speeds with your drone, 32gb cards tend to go up to 60mb/s write for the best ones. I use a Sandisk Extreme 64gb with a 90mb write speed (designed for use with 4k action cams) and I get better footage at all speeds :)

I especially like the vertical wave footage at 2:00 and up! The patterns are awesome!
Nice video. Also nice to live where such spectacular landscape is the norm.

Thanks, I really like getting those shots - simply hovering the drone, keeping it stationary whilst recording.. I'm currently practicing to fly really low to the ground then slowly increasing altitude, kind of like a manual dronie but with the sticks and much tighter to the ground!

So I've been off work with a horrible cold :s and decided to return to my footage and have a play around in Premiere Pro and After Effects to whip up a snazzy logo animation, add in some lens flares etc. I've also converted the footage to 24 frames per second to allow me to 'slo-mo' some shots :)

L.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef