Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My Spark Fell from the SKY

Santa

Join
Dec 23, 2018
Loc
Washington State
New Spark. have flown it a half dozen times and love it. Yesterday it just fell from the sky. from about 135.5 Feet. Battery was at 92%. when I look at the log it just stops. Any ideas?????I have attached to log. I bought the insurance but do not feel that I did anything wrong. 2 Of the "wings" broke and the battery also broke all when it it the hand rai of my deck.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-01-13_[16-47-05].txt
    71.6 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Paul215
Sometimes new pilots accidently invoke the Combination Stick Command (CSC) which stops the motors and gravity takes over.

Go to the 2:00 mark on this YouTube video for explanation. It's the same combo that you can use at takeoff to start the motors but during flight it has the opposite effect.

It's intended only for use in flight for dire emergencies -- but it probably causes more crashes than it prevents.

Sometimes new pilots accidently invoke the Combination Stick Command (CSC) which stops the motors and gravity takes over.

Go to the 2:00 mark on this YouTube video for explanation. It's the same combo that you can use at takeoff to start the motors but during flight it has the opposite effect.

It's intended only for use in flight for dire emergencies -- but it probably causes more crashes than it prevents.

Are you sure it works on the Spark, I thought it was disabled. Reference

I actually tried it last year and it didn't work unless a recent firmware update put it back.

Last edited:
I think too, that it is disabled for spark mid flight.
Of course it's difficult for any of us to test.

Are you sure it works on the Spark, I thought it was disabled. Reference

I actually tried it last year and it didn't work unless a recent firmware update put it back.

It worked last time I tried it - but I'm not eager to test it again considering the potential for damage.

It still works when the Spark is on the ground -- it would be fantastic if they have disabled CSC during mid-flight. But who is brave enough to test it?

This pilot tried and couldn't do it.

This pilot tried and couldn't do it.

Your video link is 17 months old (Aug 2017)! CSC definitely worked for me since that time (unintentionally).

That was several firmware updates ago. Hopefully DJI killed that feature. It got me once.

I don't plan on testing it again!

I agree, old link.

How recent was your episode?

i seen a video a guy was trying to do that in flight and it never worked. someone said the newer firmware wouldn't let you do it..
Wonder if you could get someone to hold it and turn it on then try it, or maybe it would think it was still on the ground.

Tried the csc command in flight today and the motors don't turn off! Every firmware is updated

Reactions: Spark 317
Tried the csc command in flight today and the motors don't turn off! Every firmware is updated

Thanks for trying and taking one for the team.:)

Back to the topic, if csc was the problem shouldn't the flightlog continue? The log is recording at the start with motors off, too. Maybe one of the famous spark battery connection problems? Spark was still in one part when it fell down?

Back to the topic, if csc was the problem shouldn't the flightlog continue?

I don't know, but my opinion would be YES, it should keep recording data during a CSC, unless the software was designed to shut down the whole Spark and not just the motors.

Just a note, the AirData Flight player shows the stick positions.

This is something new to me. I am not aware which tab to look into to see the stick positions in Airdata.
Could you please share a sample screenshot?

Open your flight log in Airdata: General>Notifications. Open the HD FlightPlayer. In the lower right of the satellite/map view you will see two dashed circles where your stick positions are shown corresponding to the players timeline.

1547693733668.png

1547693827049.png

Reactions: nilanjan118

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef