Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My two birds...

I said the samething. I wanted to replace the Spark with the Mavic Air... But when I went to sell the Spark and all of the accessories that I have to go with it... I got some strange offers. I had it down to $500.00 ( with 4 batteries, 4 battery charger, controller and much more with DJI Care for another 10 months) and I got offered $200... A bag of marijuana, a broken dirt bike...

So I said the hell with it, I'll keep it and I still use it actually more than my Mav.
Lucky you.
1 bird is enough for me. Don’t have the energy these days for 2. [emoji6]

Last edited:
I have a Spark, a Phantom 3 Standard and a Tello. I love my Spark and Phantom and fly them year round. They do everything I need. I do wish the Spark had longer battery life. I average just under 10 mins. I tend to fly my P3S more in the winter as it can handle cold temps much better than Spark.

Would love to have a M2P but price and the increasing restrictions on where you can fly have put a hold on that idea.

Chris

Sweet! Other than the camera, how's the two compare for you?
Oh boy, this is gonna get wordy...but here goes ...

Honestly, I haven't really ran the Mav through the motions too much. I actually still fly the Sparkplug more than the Mav. Now that's not because I have a problem with the Mav or anything like that...
... look, I'll explain later... Just keep reading.

Ok the Mav has way better camera capabilities both video and photos. The 4K is simply awesome. Just way more camera options and available adjustments than the spark.

The Over 2 mile range is definitely better than the Sparkplug's and is easily and quickly obtained at the 42mph top speed in sport mode. Ahh... sport mode, it's like a freaking race car in sport mode and very similar to the Sparkplug's sport mode. Very fast and agile. Turns really fast and stops on a dime.

The front bottom and rear collision detection works fantastic. The Battery lasts about 16-18 minutes. Much smoother video with the Mavs 3 axis gimble than the Sparkplug's 2 axis.

Using Litchi app you can now fly waypoint missions and it really works smoothly and flawlessly with the Mav. I'm serious, the video is so smooth and perfect doing this.

One thing I've noticed is that accessories are quite a bit more expensive for the Mav. Batteries range from $80.00 up to $100.00, ND filters are a bit more. Extra props are more. Chargers are more... Hell the whole freakin thing is more expensive! Which is to be expected after all it's a higher end platform. Oh and the folding arms really make this thing collapse down even smaller than the Sparkplug. You literally can hang the Mavic and it's controller in it's supplied carrying case off of one of your belt loops with a carabineer. No lie, I've done it.

Now, here is why I still use my Spark as much as I do...

I'm totally familiar with this thing. I've been flying this thing for 2 years now. It's effortless for me to have it in the air and capturing photos and video in mere minutes. And the interface is simple to use.

Now it only records 1080p... Such a turn off right? Lol. I'm not so sure... You see, most everyone who makes videos with any of these drones, upload to YouTube. YouTube is only 1080p... So what are you really missing out on?

I actually like the wifi between the controller and phone. Really don't care for the fumbling I do trying with the plug on the Mav's controller to the phone and then the phone into the holders in the Mav's controller. The WiFi is quick and easy and relatively trouble free. Yes, I said it, I like the wifi.

Accessories are much cheaper. Prop guards, props, ND filters chargers and batteries are way cheaper. I bought 3 batteries from Best Buy (giving me a total of 4 batteries) when they were on sale for $50.00 giving me close to an hour's worth almost of continuous flying. When the battery would run low, I'd bring it back, swap battery, reconnect and send it back out.

Hand take off and landing is something I haven't used much but came in really handy when I launched off of my friends boat in the middle of Lake Erie some 15miles from shore. I put the side body/finger guards (shown in the pics above) on to prevent any catching/palm landing miss haps. You literally have to catch and grab it when you're on a moving platform like a boat in some choppy water. Trying to land the Mav on the rocking and swaying boat would've been very difficult... Maybe impossible without insodent...

The Sparkplug with it's rigid arms are really strong and can withstand some serious crashes (I'm not so sure about the Mav's foldable arms.).
If you take a close look at the Sparkplug, it is a very strong and hearty little platform.

Now sport mode... if the Mav is like a race car in sport mode... The Sparkplug is like the Tazmanian Devil in sport mode. The Sparkplug can cut, turn, accelerate and stop faster than the Mav. While the Sparkplug may not have the Mav's tops speed, it can definitely out maneuver it.

Another thing is that you can now fly Waypoints with the Spark using the Litchi app too. I have done this with the Spark and it really works awesome ( not as stable as the Mav though). I highly recommend it to every Spark Pilot out there.

So, which do like better? I really don't think I can answer that at this moment... Maybe once I get more familiarized with the Mav and fly it more, I can form a better opinion. One thing I can say is that I'm a little hesitant to put the Mav up and into some of the situations that I put the Spark in (like 15 miles out over Lake Erie) because of how much it cost and my lack of experience flying it. Most of that will probably change overtime, but until then, the Sparkplug will continue to be the workhorse that I'm not afraid to put into harm's way.

Ok... Any questions... Lmao!

Last edited:
I have a Spark, a Phantom 3 Standard and a Tello. I love my Spark and Phantom and fly them year round. They do everything I need. I do wish the Spark had longer battery life. I average just under 10 mins. I tend to fly my P3S more in the winter as it can handle cold temps much better than Spark.

Would love to have a M2P but price and the increasing restrictions on where you can fly have put a hold on that idea.

Chris
I hear you about the Sparks battery life. That's why bought multiple batteries. Yeah, sometimes it sucks to bring it in for a battery pitstop but it's easy and fast enough to be back in the air in no time.

So, how would you honestly compare the Spark to the Phantom?

Reactions: RotorWash
Really appreciate the info, thanks! There used to be a fair bit of talk about a Spark 2 but the Air seems to have filled that spot very nicely and then some. Like you said, super compact and that's a huge consideration for many people.

Reactions: shawnski451
You literally have to catch and grab it when you're on a moving platform like a boat in some choppy water.

As a last resort, have a handheld fishing net to catch the aircraft and save it from a swim.

Just be sure to take spare props. :)

I hear you about the Sparks battery life. That's why bought multiple batteries. Yeah, sometimes it sucks to bring it in for a battery pitstop but it's easy and fast enough to be back in the air in no time.

So, how would you honestly compare the Spark to the Phantom?
I have 4 batteries too, however having some quirky problems with one right now (DJI looking into it).

I have almost as many flights on my Spark (305) as I do on my P3S (325) and the Spark is almost 2 years old and my Phantom almost 3 years. However, my P3S can fly almost twice as long on one battery as the Spark so the number of flights has a lot to do with having to land and swap batteries on the Spark.

Launching/Landing: I usually always hand launch/land my Spark, whereas with my Phantom I launch from ground and usually hand catch, so Spark is much more versatile here.

Setup: Spark wins here! Turn everything on and fly, whereas with my Phantom I must spin on props before I can fly. I did buy some foldable props for my Phantom but have been too chicken to try them yet - don't want to risk a crash. Spark wins on setup.

Stability: The spark is more stable in a hover than my P3S especially in gusty conditions, due to access to more GPS satellites and VPS than the Phantom. Spark wins here.

Visibility/Range: The Phantom is much more visible due to its size and as a result I can fly farther for VLOS, however the Spark can fly farther (range) before it disconnects and RTH (have never went that far because it would be out of VLOS). My P3S on the other hand will usually disconnect around 200m especially if I am in an area with lots of interference. Phantom wins here simply because I can see it at a farther distance within VLOS.

All weather flying: My Spark gimbal becomes sticky (won't pitch full range) in cold weather, usually 5ºC or colder, whereas I have never had any problems with my P3S in cold weather other than freezing my fingers off spinning on props, and I regularly fly in weather down to -25ºC in winter. Phantom wins here by a long shot.

Features: The Spark has lots of features that the P3S doesn't like more satellites, VPS, forward obstacle avoidance, sport mode and precision landing. If you have the remote for the Spark then you have the camera/video buttons, Sport mode button and RTH button. My Phantom standard does not have any of this on the AC or the remote - it's just basic. Sometimes some of these extra features can be a pain though. For example, I have been testing out launching and landing my Spark from my kayak but the landing is tricky because the Spark and VPS does not like the kayak and will try to fly away from me making it difficult to hand catch it. Also, there is nothing to grab onto other than the body of the Spark.

Portability: Obviously the Spark here. I can put the Spark, charging station and 3 batteries in the charging station bag and into another backpack with a DSLR and lenses and off I go, whereas my P3S needs and dedicated bulky backpack for it with room for nothing else.

Chris

I have 4 batteries too, however having some quirky problems with one right now (DJI looking into it).

I have almost as many flights on my Spark (305) as I do on my P3S (325) and the Spark is almost 2 years old and my Phantom almost 3 years. However, my P3S can fly almost twice as long on one battery as the Spark so the number of flights has a lot to do with having to land and swap batteries on the Spark.

Launching/Landing: I usually always hand launch/land my Spark, whereas with my Phantom I launch from ground and usually hand catch, so Spark is much more versatile here.

Setup: Spark wins here! Turn everything on and fly, whereas with my Phantom I must spin on props before I can fly. I did buy some foldable props for my Phantom but have been too chicken to try them yet - don't want to risk a crash. Spark wins on setup.

Stability: The spark is more stable in a hover than my P3S especially in gusty conditions, due to access to more GPS satellites and VPS than the Phantom. Spark wins here.

Visibility/Range: The Phantom is much more visible due to its size and as a result I can fly farther for VLOS, however the Spark can fly farther (range) before it disconnects and RTH (have never went that far because it would be out of VLOS). My P3S on the other hand will usually disconnect around 200m especially if I am in an area with lots of interference. Phantom wins here simply because I can see it at a farther distance within VLOS.

All weather flying: My Spark gimbal becomes sticky (won't pitch full range) in cold weather, usually 5ºC or colder, whereas I have never had any problems with my P3S in cold weather other than freezing my fingers off spinning on props, and I regularly fly in weather down to -25ºC in winter. Phantom wins here by a long shot.

Features: The Spark has lots of features that the P3S doesn't like more satellites, VPS, forward obstacle avoidance, sport mode and precision landing. If you have the remote for the Spark then you have the camera/video buttons, Sport mode button and RTH button. My Phantom standard does not have any of this on the AC or the remote - it's just basic. Sometimes some of these extra features can be a pain though. For example, I have been testing out launching and landing my Spark from my kayak but the landing is tricky because the Spark and VPS does not like the kayak and will try to fly away from me making it difficult to hand catch it. Also, there is nothing to grab onto other than the body of the Spark.

Portability: Obviously the Spark here. I can put the Spark, charging station and 3 batteries in the charging station bag and into another backpack with a DSLR and lenses and off I go, whereas my P3S needs and dedicated bulky backpack for it with room for nothing else.

Chris
That's an awesome comparison my friend. I think it's safe to say that the spark is a versatile little machine. Would you agree?

That's an awesome comparison my friend. I think it's safe to say that the spark is a versatile little machine. Would you agree?
Yes. Originally bought it as a backup to my P3S and as a travel drone but it has become so much more.

Chris

Reactions: Wsteele
I have the Spark and Mavic Air combo as well. The Spark is great for portability. And still produces great videos and stills. The MA is a bit more cumbersome, albeit I have it all in a Pelican 1555 custom case. Spark goes on regular drives waiting for the target of opportunity.

It’s interesting to me that many find the Spark to be more portable than the MA when the Mavic folds up smaller. Does it also take longer to get the MA airborne?

I have considered the MA as a replacement for my P3S in the future because it had a 3 axis gimbal and the ability to shoot in RAW.

Chris

It’s interesting to me that many find the Spark to be more portable than the MA when the Mavic folds up smaller. Does it also take longer to get the MA airborne?

I have considered the MA as a replacement for my P3S in the future because it had a 3 axis gimbal and the ability to shoot in RAW.

Chris
I personally don't think the Spark is more portable... If anything it's more cumbersome than the Mavic Air. The thumb sticks come off the Mavics controller and the controller fits really nice in the elastic pouch on the side of the carrying case. Mavic Air is definitely more portable.

Just to put the topic of size and portability into perspective. While the Spark is definitely small... The Mavic Air collapses down even smaller than the spark. I've actually walked around with the aircraft and the controller hanging off of my belt loop using a carabineer.IMG_20191007_173958184_HDR.jpegIMG_20191007_174149794_HDR.jpegIMG_20191007_174320328_HDR.jpegIMG_20191007_174433396_HDR.jpegIMG_20191007_174502359_HDR.jpeg

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis