Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Nearly had a flyaway today

SaigonDude

Join
May 3, 2019
I have posted before about my Spark acting flaky, but am fairly certain there must be a compass problem.

I did a full preflight check, calibrated IMU/compass, and lifted off from a known point. Home point carefully recorded. Spark took off, and decided to hover and descend over water. I was sure it was doing a ‘Triple Lindy’ into the water, but RTH registered, and it descended properly UNTIL it started to behave erratically, less that 2m away. 1st time I have ever hit the ESC kill switch.

There must be some HW problem. I can hover my Tello, Air & Mavic2 (atti) indoors easily. Spark behaves like a jumping bean.

I will be is a rural area over weekend...perhaps that will tell.

Thoughts?

From the context of the post I believe he was referring CSC rather than ESC. Another victim of autocorrect perhaps?

But as we know CSC (Combined Stick Command) is no longer a "kill switch" for Spark during midflight.

That's what I thought.

He used the word switch, so I thought maybe it was a one-button deal and was something new.

Interference of some sort.... post your log and lets see what we can see....

From the context of the post I believe he was referring CSC rather than ESC. Another victim of autocorrect perhaps?

But as we know CSC (Combined Stick Command) is no longer a "kill switch" for Spark during midflight.
Yes, I am sure I meant CSC......many variables when jumping in and out of ATTI mode.

Twin sticks, down and away, zapped the motors. AC fell perfectly straight and flat.

The last time I tried that, it didn't work.

And it was my understanding that DJI removed that function from the Spark and is why it didn't work.

Plus YouTube showing it not working.

I know they are old posts but that's the way it was.
I'll give it another test this season if DJI snuck it back in the firmware.

Reactions: Saigondroner

And it was my understanding that DJI removed that function from the Spark and is why it didn't work.

Hmmmm....if my spotter or I declare 'phone home'....RTH is initiated, no exceptions. I was solo today, and wanted to kill @70m....but wasn't playing for a medal. :). The Spark must have compass probs.

Today I measured a comm'l AC 4500m away, 1200m meter elevation. A far cry from me, but I did triangulate. Spark doesn't have a kill switch now??

The Spark must have compass probs.

You may have. As suggested above, post your flight log to allow us to see your flight and the members here might be able to determine the error.

Also, start a repair ticket with DJI and the Spark could be covered under warranty.

One last thing that may show a compass malfunction, check the Attitude indicator to see if the red triangle (Spark) is pointing where it should be while sitting on the ground, not concrete as it may contain rebar.

It definitely works on other models. Yet another workflow problem in DJI's product lineup. ;-)

Yes it does work on the others.

I just watched a clip of the Spark and Mavic Air and it looks like it doesn't work on the MA as well.

They were referred to as "toys".

There is also a popular clip of a regular Mavic Pro doing a CSC and restarting in flight with success.

You may have. As suggested above, post your flight log to allow us to see your flight and the members here might be able to determine the error.

Also, start a repair ticket with DJI and the Spark could be covered under warranty.

One last thing that may show a compass malfunction, check the Attitude indicator to see if the red triangle (Spark) is pointing where it should be while sitting on the ground, not concrete as it may contain rebar.

Will do. IMHO, near failure logs are the most helpful to learn.

logs are the most helpful to learn.

I agree. The evidence will be there to examine.

I (we) would like to see them, especially the CSC you performed.

Click the link from the above post for instructions on how to do it.

Reactions: Saigondroner
I agree. The evidence will be there to examine.

I (we) would like to see them, especially the CSC you performed.

Click the link from the above post for instructions on how to do it.

Will do....apologies for delay.I almost took Spark out for a repeat performance...but used time to actually have Litchi working on an SC, and an M2P.

Interference of some sort.... post your log and lets see what we can see....

Here are 4 log files:

1st one is the 1st flight, using Litchi, with iOS. This is when things started to go awry, and I engaged RTH
2nd one is the same flight, but I extracted the log from the Spark itself, using DJI Assistant 2
3rd one is the 2nd flight, that was totally out of control. I used Go4.
The final log is the same 2nd flight, but I extracted using DJI Assistant 2.

I used Phantomhelp to read the DJI .txt & Litchi .csv file, and DatCon to read the DJI .dat files I extracted from the Spark itself. I think a much of the 2nd flight's log are not 100% valid. The Spark was reporting a FORBIN error with the compass problems. My guess is that means 'forbidden'.

It looks like a combination of very poor GPS coverage, and serious interference, for both the controller and the compass.

As far as the CSC stick abort goes, I am sure that is what I did in Flight #1. I'm happy to re-test another time. I kicked a prop 2nd flight....as it appeared the Spark was headed back toward water.

Over the weekend, in a very rural area, the Spark performed almost perfectly. Wifey says it's because she wrapped it well ;-)

Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    199.7 KB · Views: 1
Today for grins, I flew my Spark indoors, on the 33rd floor of a high rise 2 times. Calibrated compass, low interference....did a short hover, and turn, switching from OPTI to ATTI a bit. Only 1 single compass error.

The 2nd test, I flew near a steel rack, in utility area, and lost all control, except up/down. Logs show lots of compass errors, but the log shows the max flight altitude changing from the original 500m, to 30m, and then thereafter to 5m (!)...the same entries from the fly-away day. Thoughts? I think it is a software/firmware problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex