Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark Owner - A little advice appreciated...

OrangeSpark

Join
Dec 30, 2018
Hi all

Just bought my first drone (Spark obviously) Got the lava red one and a RC plus a couple of extra batteries. I've read so much stuff on forums and watching YouTube videos before making the plunge. Annoyingly I've read different ways I should go about getting set up from scratch. Would anyone be able to provide me or direct me to a failsafe list of what to do in the right order regarding downloading app, connecting RC, updating firmware etc. Or does the order not matter too much?
I'll be using an iPhone 7 attached to the RC as my primary method of control. I'd be most grateful for some words of wisdom from some experienced pilots.

Thank you!

I got a Spark and am new as well, I found the videos mentioned above to be the best place to start. My Spark and RC were bought separately, so I had to pair them, which was a little bit of a chore and I had to update the firmware. I paired them first then I used the DJI Assistant to update the firmware on my Spark. I also then learned that once my RC and Drone are connected it seems like each time I have to hold the intelligent flight battery on button for 3 seconds in order to get the RC to pair....Not sure if this is normal or not but it works, then I open DJI Go 4 on my phone and connect to the RC Wifi (for camera control).....Just got a Connection Cord so will try that this weekend. I recommend updating your firmware through the assistant on your laptop and not over wifi. BUT I am New too so others probably have way more info than I do.

Reactions: OrangeSpark
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and reply. My RC was also purchased separately. Are you suggesting that because you bought it separately you have to go through this procedure of holding the battery for 3 seconds?
Could any other RC user confirm that this is normal?

I haven't even taken all the items I bought out of the box yet as it arrived yesterday and I went back to work after the Christmas break today. I will follow your advice at the weekend when I finally start this thing up!

Thanks again...

So you should Google Search on YouTube "DJI Spark Setup - 10 Steps before you fly". I didn't see good instructions when I opened and read the microscopic instruction booklet.....but maybe I just couldn't read it. Anyway. I found that you do the following.

Step 1. Power on your SPARK. Press your battery Button once and then Press and Hold to power on.
Step 2. Power on your RC. Press your power button once and then Press and Hold to power on.
Step 3. Press on your SPARK. Press your battery button and hold for 3 seconds. You should see your battery light indicators flash three times and you should hear a single BEEP. ( This indicates the SPARK is ready to be paired with the RC.
Step 4. Press all of these three buttons simultaneously, your Flight Pause (Red) button, FN Button and top right side "customizable" button. This will put your RC in pairing mode and your will have a red light that will turn green and flash while pairing
Step 5. Once paired the Green light will beep and turn solid.
Step 6. You can now connect your phone to your RC wifi Open DJI GO 4 and control the SPARK with your RC and see the camera with your phone.

Again I am NEW and this is just what I did based on the video I referenced above. I'm sure if I have these wrong someone will correct me. Also I think I used almost a Whole charge with the Spark setting there running while I paired and set this up. ALSO Had to recharge after to update the firmware which took about 15 minutes.

Reactions: OrangeSpark
Hi OrangeSpark, welcome to the forum.
I always turn on the controller 1st, its an RC plane rule that I have adopted to the spark.
You will need to update your spark to the latest firmware & that will use most of the battery. Just charge it again after, you don’t want to start flying with a half dead battery.
Try to be familiar with the controls & on screen info as you can before flying.
The RTH is the most confusing button on the controller, it is also a lifesaver. Be sure to understand how it functions & why it doesn’t respond the same every time.
When using the auto modes have your thumb ready to press the pause button. Just in case.
I’m a big fan of pre flight checks & testing the controls just after takeoff, before sending my spark off into the blue.
Fly safe, have fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast