Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newb from North Carolina

And also prepping for some midnight flights on New Years Eve to try to catch some fireworks footage.

You'll be amazed at the fireworks you'll see around your area.

And you won't have to break the 400 foot rule.

As graywoulf has stated, the stock LED's are not for flying at night.

The addition of strobe lights will help with night flights.

Reactions: STEPASYD
I'm sitting here on the couch contemplating 2 flight spots before the rain arrives, both are over water, haha...
There is a local lake and reservoir that I want to film a sunset at. Fortunately, I don't have to fly over the water to do it.

There is a local lake and reservoir that I want to film a sunset at. Fortunately, I don't have to fly over the water to do it.
I live a half mile from the SC state line, and if you take my road into SC, in about 3 miles you'll encounter the detour, the road was washed out during Hurricane Florence, and has yet to be repaired, the sunset over the pond there is gorgeous, that's one of the places I have in mind. I'm just gonna need some sun first. Not today....argh.

Reactions: graywoulf
You'll be amazed at the fireworks you'll see around your area.And you won't have to break the 400 foot rule.
As graywoulf has stated, the stock LED's are not for flying at night.
The addition of strobe lights will help with night flights.
I had not thought of that but weather permitting, I might do that. I have a small 16 LED light that I use on one of my toy drones for LOS orientation that I think I will attach to the bottom of my Spark. It is meant to be used as a fill in light for a phone camera but it is so bright that I could see it on my quad during the brightest sunlight. Here is a picture of the toy drone with it attached and on.

FrankenSpider with Lights.jpg

I think I will attach to the bottom of my Spark.

Make sure the light is away from the bottom camera.

The intense light may blind the camera and cause an erratic flight if the VPS is compromised.

It happened to me.
Live and learn. :)

I had not thought of that but weather permitting, I might do that. I have a small 16 LED light that I use on one of my toy drones for LOS orientation that I think I will attach to the bottom of my Spark. It is meant to be used as a fill in light for a phone camera but it is so bright that I could see it on my quad during the brightest sunlight. Here is a picture of the toy drone with it attached and on.

View attachment 12173
Whereabouts did you find that?

Make sure the light is away from the bottom camera. The intense light may blind the camera and cause an erratic flight if the VPS is compromised. It happened to me. Live and learn. :)
Thanks for the heads up on that. I will use Velcro as I did on the toy drone and attach it to the Spark's battery.

Is it rechargeable by chance? I doubt it at that price point.
I didn't realize that the eBay listing didn't say anything about that but yes, it is rechargeable via a micro USB port on one side. The light also has three brightness levels. Here is a different eBay listing with more information. And maybe a better price through the option to make an offer. And they are very light too. Your Spark wouldn't even know it was there. The 3.5mm plug is a dummy as fHere is a different eBay listing with more information. And maybe a better price through the option to make an offer.ar as I can tell. I think it is there just to have a way to attach it to a device.
Here is a different eBay listing with more information. And maybe a better price through the option to make an offer.

It's a done deal, ordered a black one. No brainer for the price. Once again, thank ya sir!
Glad I could be of assistance on that. You won't be disappointed with it I'm pretty sure. I have used it with my phone camera outside or for fill in flash during the day and it also makes for a pretty darn bright flashlight too. Let me know how that works for you when you get it.

here is a quickie from Christmas Day on my in-law's land, got alot more ground to cover where they stay, didn't see the need to make a whole new thread for it.

That is a lot of farmland to fly over for sure.

Just shy of 100 acres.
Oh yeah, That's plenty of flying room. I installed the light on my Spark today and if I can, I am going to get some pictures of it in action after dark.

Well I have to call that project a success. Fortunately I had bought a cheap set of prop guards that have extended legs so that the light hat some ground clearance. I just used a square piece of Velcro to attach the light to the battery. There is just enough contact between the two pieces of Velcro to hold the light securely. I may add some foam double sided tape to raise the Velcro that is on the battery. I did a test flight at dusk but it is very windy here today so I only flew to an altitude of about 75 feet for the last shot. I was using the moon for comparison for the brightness. So here is the results.

Attachments

• Spark with light 1.jpg
    Spark with light 1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Spark with light 2.jpg
    Spark with light 2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Spark with light 3.jpg
    Spark with light 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • As bright as the moon.jpg
    As bright as the moon.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Spark 317
Good job, a little update from me... got a few goodies in the mail today, my gimbal cover and analog stick locker-in-placers came in from China, not bad for 3 bucks and a couple of weeks shipping time. 20191230_215326.jpg20191230_215342.jpg

Good job, a little update from me... got a few goodies in the mail today, my gimbal cover and analog stick locker-in-placers came in from China, not bad for 3 bucks and a couple of weeks shipping time. View attachment 12200View attachment 12201
Good choices of protection for the RC! I have those too. Do your Spark and yourself a favor and attach a piece of ribbon or something to the gimbal cover to remind you to remove it before flight. It is not hard at all to forget that it is there. I used a 5" piece of blue thin ribbon that lays across the back of my Spark to remind me that the cover is on.

I need to get some landing gear like that. the ones I bought are the ones in the pictures. I really don't like the prop guards but the landing gear works pretty good.

Reactions: twickers14
I need to get some landing gear like that. the ones I bought are the ones in the pictures. I really don't like the prop guards but the landing gear works pretty good.

Hmm, you could take a look at my classified ad..[emoji41] out of curiosity, what happens in the even you go for a flight with the cover on? I figure it probably limits the range of motion for the gimbal...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe