Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

NFZ

I just tried it a couple of times and I'd say no, unless I was reading the LED's wrong.

I'm just inside the DC no fly zone. Using Gestures or tablet I can fly indoors(in the basement) with no GPS signal. If I try on the ground level it won't let me take off.

In my back garden just now I tried the palm takeoff, which it did, but it just hovered there looking at me and did not respond to any gestures other than land back on my palm.

Just got mine this am & batteries are on charge. I'm also just inside the D.C. no-fly zone (at about mile 9.5 or so) and if I can't use it on my property to at least 100-200' in gesture or P mode, I'm seriously thinking about challenging DJI and/or the FAA about it. Anyone inside the D.C NFZ, keep in touch..ok?

I read something that I want to follow up on about an old Supreme Court ruling that says a property owner owns the air space above it to roughly 360 feet, and if the govt. wants to use it they must be compensated. Now, I realize that a NFZ is a bit of a different subject, but with the latest court ruling about the FAA not having authority over hobby aircraft, might be room for some reasonable common sense compromises? Just my thoughts so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN21
I think you should challenge that if it comes to that and best of luck too with it! It's definitely a perspective people have probably forgotten about in discussing airspace related drone incidents. Although I have a feeling their challenge would be people who live right next to airports along, behind, or in front of a runway. I live in the Florida Keys where space is tight and planes are small, but still very active, and I have a feeling there might be a tight spot here and elsewhere for that...

We are talking about America here right though??? I thought common sense was thrown out the window with the Twinkie Craze and Di-Hydrogen Monoxide cases :Do_O:rolleyes:

Reactions: JD4x4
Mine flew just fine in gesture mode at my folks' who live within Class D. Gesture mode is so limited in how high and far it goes it can't hardly matter. I mean, I could stand on a ladder with my phone and be higher than this thing in gesture mode and I don't have to request authorization for that. Of course, I wouldn't fly it around there using the RC. That's a different story.

Mine flew just fine in gesture mode at my folks' who live within Class D. Gesture mode is so limited in how high and far it goes it can't hardly matter. I mean, I could stand on a ladder with my phone and be higher than this thing in gesture mode and I don't have to request authorization for that. Of course, I wouldn't fly it around there using the RC. That's a different story.
Nice to hear. Yeah, it seems a bit backwards to me that DJI would disallow gesture & P mode (with avoidance, height limits, etc) automatically in NFZ's but not in Sprort mode? Dunno if I even have that right until I start playing with it. Anticipating Spark to be fun, regardless.

Can someone who is not in the DC NFZ, say near a regular airport, comment on this? If it can't fly within a standard NFZ in gesture mode - there'll be nowhere in Sydney metro I could use it. I might cancel my order while I still have time.

With the Mavic if you directly turn GPS off and only use the other VPS's you can fly in a NFZ (in this case it was KeyWest, FL... You didn't hear it from me ;)
I haven't received my Spark yet though, so this is all I can offer... When I get mine I will head down a few miles with GPS turned off and see if I can fly inside a friends house.
But I wouldn't cancel the order, doesn't DJI have a 1 week return policy?
Hope someone who has one and has flown it will tell ya sooner though :)

With the Mavic if you directly turn GPS off and only use the other VPS's you can fly in a NFZ (in this case it was KeyWest, FL... You didn't hear it from me ;)
I haven't received my Spark yet though, so this is all I can offer... When I get mine I will head down a few miles with GPS turned off and see if I can fly inside a friends house.
But I wouldn't cancel the order, doesn't DJI have a 1 week return policy?
Hope someone who has one and has flown it will tell ya sooner though :)

Thanks for the reply, Bubbles. That's interesting re the GPS trick. It's seems like a strange inclusion to use NZF rules on guesture mode though. People in major cities are going to have trouble getting use out of them.

Exactly, Goose. An entire 15 mile radius around D.C. for starters. And for us non-tourists it means no flying at all on your own property, in any mode.

Crazy is an understatement.

I didn't see an option to turn off gps in the Go4 app for Spark but maybe I overloooked it.

Exactly, Goose. An entire 15 mile radius around D.C. for starters. And for us non-tourists it means no flying at all on your own property, in any mode.

Crazy is an understatement.

I didn't see an option to turn off gps in the Go4 app for Spark but maybe I overloooked it.
Anyone found out how to turn off GPS in spark

Same issue I ordered the fly more combo and living within close proximity to a US AFB and an International airport. Cool thing is in Spokane I think I'm ok outside of the 1 mile NFZ so I'll be ok I hope. I find out tomorrow when my bird arrives via Fedex

I think only major NFZ's are controlled anyways too, I'm right next to 3 airports, one an AFB, one a simple 2 runway, and the last an "international" airport (we're not exactly a tourist spot) and I can fly with only a warning (sometimes the warning doesn't even show up) even though I think I might be just barely inside the NFZ.
It's hard comparing google maps to VectorMap...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme