Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG cable - does it matter which wifi channel i use

goixiz

Join
May 5, 2018
Im travelling with my drone on bicycle
I lost signal and drone did not RTH and i have to get close to drone to get reconnected (it was just hovering, glad i had 50%+ battery)

Does it matter which wifi channels i select if i use OTG cable (SPark RC - OTG cable - Samsung S9+) ?
I have 2 options [AUTO] or [Custom]
IF selecet AUTO the channels and the bands does it matter ??

Thanks in advance

Nope. It doesn't matter. Usually I just let it autoselect, but if I'm in an area that might be noisy, I manually select. Don't fly without an OTG cable. In fact, I don't think I've ever flown Phoebe without one. Started flying Sylvester without one, but once I got one, I never went without it.

Im travelling with my drone on bicycle
I lost signal and drone did not RTH and i have to get close to drone to get reconnected (it was just hovering, glad i had 50%+ battery)
Should also help to turn off any bluetooth you may have running, both on your phone and any other devices.

The channel selection is for the communication between the remote and the drone. The OTG simply eliminates the need to use wifi between the phone and the remote. Highly recommend you always use OTG. Turn of BT as mentioned above. I always use airplane mode also.

Reactions: Spark 317
Since the RC is connected to the phone by WiFi what is the function of the OTG cable
By using an OTG cable you don't need the wifi connection with the phone. So you can go into airplane mode that shuts off any wireless connction with the phone. You get a cleaner connection between RC and drone this way

So you can go into airplane mode that shuts off any wireless connction with the phone.

Be sure the WiFi is turned off on the device.

Depending on the device, WiFi is still active during Airplane Mode to take advantage of the WiFi that may be available on a plane that you are flying on somewhere.

Airplane Mode shuts off the cellular data connection.

I have had the Spark sneak in and connect via WiFi to the device even while using a cable if I forget to turn it off.

Reactions: Haggi and MarcV
Be sure the WiFi is turned off on the device.

Depending on the device, WiFi is still active during Airplane Mode to take advantage of the WiFi that may be available on a plane that you are flying on somewhere.

Airplane Mode shuts off the cellular data connection.

I have had the Spark sneak in and connect via WiFi to the device even while using a cable if I forget to turn it off.

I doubt it , normally airplane mode must turn off all kind of radio waves from the Phone as per definition

Reactions: goixiz
I doubt it , normally airplane mode must turn off all kind of radio waves from the Phone as per definition

Try it to be sure.

May 25, 2020 110807 AM EDT.jpg

May 25, 2020 111607 AM EDT.jpg

Your device may vary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. My Samsung phone turns off all radio signals by setting airplane mode. I will remember when I change phone !
I tried something and it works! Airplane mode = all radio off, but as a matter of fact I can switch WIFI back on while in Airplane mode. Very interresting.

MINE as well - Airplane mode turns of all wireless connections
Yes i can turn on WiFi ON after / Sometimes its a great feature to able to do so / such as when flying in airplane.

This explains why I still lost signal on my Spark in the middle of a prairie with my OTG cable connected. I was still connected via WiFi and it appears it dind't care there was a otg connected. I flipped off wifi and lost signal so I turned it back on and it appears that it connected first and held priority.

This explains why I still lost signal on my Spark in the middle of a prairie with my OTG cable connected. I was still connected via WiFi and it appears it dind't care there was a otg connected. I flipped off wifi and lost signal so I turned it back on and it appears that it connected first and held priority.
Is it possible that your phone had the wifi connection with your drone instead of de remote control? This could explain your experience.

Doesn't that require the drone to be set up on 1 beep, not 2? 3 Being the reset. I don't see the drones wifi if my controller is on, but it's possible. It's also quite possible that my body blocks a lot of signal. I'm kinda thick.

Doesn't that require the drone to be set up on 1 beep, not 2? 3 Being the reset. I don't see the drones wifi if my controller is on, but it's possible. It's also quite possible that my body blocks a lot of signal. I'm kinda thick.
if the connnection led on your controller is green, then it should be ok

Yeah that's the thing. I've had the remote go red quite a few times. I switched channels to 156 I believe as 149 was always noisy. More often then not if I don't power off and back on the remote after swapping the spark battteries the remote connection is horrible. I end up grounding and powering it down and back up and it runs fine for that batttery then.

Reactions: MarcV

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme