Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable no go w/ Lenovo Tab 4 / Android 8.1.0

PVDude

Join
May 5, 2019
Hey Sparkies,

Been flying the Spark w/remote controller, a Samsung Tab A 8" (Android 7.1.1) borrowed from my wife, and an OTG cable I found on Amazon. (Can't find that specific cable again or I'd post a link). All works reasonably well, and using OTG rather than WiFi linking of tablet and controller, real-time video feed is improved.

To free up the Samsung I bought a Lenovo Tab 4 8". The price was right and at Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help it seemed to be a popular choice.

The OTG cable does not work with this tablet, irrespective of connection sequence. Unlike connecting to a computer, I do not get a notification of connection and if I go into setup and select Connected Devices it indicates nothing is connected to USB. This despite the charge indicator illuminating, so clearly it is physically connected.

Performance is passable with WiFi linking of tablet and controller, but I'd prefer to use OTG if only to find out if, as on the Samsung, it would improve real-time video.

Anyone know if there is something unique about this Lenovo or the Andoid version, or a Lenovo configuration option I've missed, that's preventing this from working?

I have the same (latest) version of DJI Go on both tablets, up-to-date firmware on all the DJI hardware, and obviously the OTG cable is the same.

Background notes:
Choice of tablet
I wanted to dedicate a tablet to the drone so that I can tune it to the task, leave everything physically assembled so as not have to piss around when I want to launch. Plan to come up with a case that can transport the gear in assembled form ready to rock. Not keen to spend a lot of $ for the tablet e.g. on an iPad, especially not one that's going to be dedicated to a single function, and Crystal Sky is out of the question again on cost.

Cable
I gather from reading posts here and elsewhere that most OTG cables for devices with micro B connectors just use micro B at both ends, so it's easy to get the cable backwards. One reason I like the cable I have is that it has a proper USB micro A at the controller end (rectangular, will not fit a micro B jack) and a 90 degree micro B end for the tablet. You can't get the ends mixed up.

Hey Sparkies,

Been flying the Spark w/remote controller, a Samsung Tab A 8" (Android 7.1.1) borrowed from my wife, and an OTG cable I found on Amazon. (Can't find that specific cable again or I'd post a link). All works reasonably well, and using OTG rather than WiFi linking of tablet and controller, real-time video feed is improved.

To free up the Samsung I bought a Lenovo Tab 4 8". The price was right and at Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help it seemed to be a popular choice.

The OTG cable does not work with this tablet, irrespective of connection sequence. Unlike connecting to a computer, I do not get a notification of connection and if I go into setup and select Connected Devices it indicates nothing is connected to USB. This despite the charge indicator illuminating, so clearly it is physically connected.

Performance is passable with WiFi linking of tablet and controller, but I'd prefer to use OTG if only to find out if, as on the Samsung, it would improve real-time video.

Anyone know if there is something unique about this Lenovo or the Andoid version, or a Lenovo configuration option I've missed, that's preventing this from working?

I have the same (latest) version of DJI Go on both tablets, up-to-date firmware on all the DJI hardware, and obviously the OTG cable is the same.

Background notes:
Choice of tablet
I wanted to dedicate a tablet to the drone so that I can tune it to the task, leave everything physically assembled so as not have to piss around when I want to launch. Plan to come up with a case that can transport the gear in assembled form ready to rock. Not keen to spend a lot of $ for the tablet e.g. on an iPad, especially not one that's going to be dedicated to a single function, and Crystal Sky is out of the question again on cost.

Cable
I gather from reading posts here and elsewhere that most OTG cables for devices with micro B connectors just use micro B at both ends, so it's easy to get the cable backwards. One reason I like the cable I have is that it has a proper USB micro A at the controller end (rectangular, will not fit a micro B jack) and a 90 degree micro B end for the tablet. You can't get the ends mixed up.
Could not get otg cable to work on mine either tried everything I could would not recognize
Hey Sparkies,

Background notes:
Choice of tablet

Cable
I have the same tab 4 I tried everything to get my cable to be recognized will not work.

Background notes:
Choice of tablet
I wanted to dedicate a tablet to the drone so that I can tune it to the task, leave everything physically assembled so as not have to piss around when I want to launch. Plan to come up with a case that can transport the gear in assembled form ready to rock.

I came up with this case from an old laptop bag for my run and gun rig.

20180731_182417.jpg

It's a top load bag that I reinforced with plastic yard sign material that allows me to keep everything attached and ready to go at a moment's notice.

20180731_184520.jpg

Just passing along an idea.

Last edited:
I have a Lenovo Tab 4 plus, and can say that it's NOT good for flying DJI drones, for some reasons, but actually otg cable IS working.

First you must enable developer options, and then enable usb debugging.

I am using a Huawei P20, connected with my own Huawei USB-C to USB-B cable into an OTG-plug in my RC.
Purchased for $ 6,65 locally in the Netherlands. Works perfect with my Spark. No need for WIFI.
Check the link and perhaps find yours in your own country (or order it there, they might send it oversees as well).

I am using a Huawei P20, connected with my own Huawei USB-C to USB-B cable into an OTG-plug in my RC.
Purchased for $ 6,65 locally in the Netherlands. Works perfect with my Spark. No need for WIFI.
Check the link and perhaps find yours in your own country (or order it there, they might send it

Appreciate the tip, but I have a swell cable that works just fine on a different tablet. I don't really think the cable is the problem.

Reactions: ton079
I have a Lenovo Tab 4 plus, and can say that it's NOT good for flying DJI drones, for some reasons, but actually otg cable IS working.

Thanks for the reply.

I should probably have mentioned that I tried that already, but I felt like my post was already turning into a "TLDR" deal. I don't have the Plus though, maybe there's a subtle difference there. Do you find you have to (or have better luck with) powering up / connecting in any special order?

I realize this isn't the ultimate flying combo but it suits the budget and my essential needs.

Try reversing the otg cable connections.
The cable end with the charger symbol plugs in to the Sparks controller.
If you make it all the way through my overly long post, you'll find that my cable is not reversible and I would never want to own such a thing. ;)

Could not get otg cable to work on mine either tried everything I could would not recognize

I have the same tab 4 I tried everything to get my cable to be recognized will not work.

Did you try the debug mode thing lmel2005 mentioned? I had actually tried that before my original post, but it didn't help.

I'm surprised you find the tab 4 plus not good for flying. I have used one for several months with litchi, drone harmony and go4 and seems to work well for me. I did have a problem with harmony when it upgraded the o/s to 8 but that was solved by the developer. And yes OTG works fine.

I'm surprised you find the tab 4 plus not good for flying. I have used one for several months with litchi, drone harmony and go4 and seems to work well for me. I did have a problem with harmony when it upgraded the o/s to 8 but that was solved by the developer. And yes OTG works fine.
With latest go4 version, streamed video is really bad, with or without otg cable.
Older versions are ok.
My other drones have no issues.

Missing e-compass is the main problem of Lenovo Tab 4.
Without it, randar-type gyroscope on go4 app, is not working well.

So, there is no way to check drone's compass status before flight, and this is an important pre-flight check.

With latest go4 version, streamed video is really bad, with or without otg cable.
Older versions are ok.
My other drones have no issues.

Missing e-compass is the main problem of Lenovo Tab 4.
Without it, randar-type gyroscope on go4 app, is not working well.

So, there is no way to check drone's compass status before flight, and this is an important pre-flight check.
Thanks for the info on the compass that is something I did not realise. I'd better do some more research on that I've never used the radar display on Go4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme