Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable

Jet84

Join
Aug 11, 2018
Recently I have been flying the Spark around and notice a delay in the live video on my iPhone 7 and the drone. The gimbal won’t move on the phone and when it does, the video quality gets distorted. This usually happens when it notices WiFi in the way. I have read that the OTG cable can eliminate the need for WiFi between the phone and the RC. It apparently makes the video quality smoother and less choppy. Writing this to know if anyone has experience with this for the iPhone 7 and if anyone can attribute to how well these work.

Reactions: Monica
I have an OTG cable with my IPhone 7.
Main reason for me to get one was because the WiFi beteren Phone and RC would often drop out causing no video feed at all for a couple of seconds.

Don’t think the video quality had improved, but i’m not a 100% sure..

I use an OTG cable with my 8+. Zero problems with latency and/or performance. I don’t fly without it.

Reactions: Milton Furtado
By any chance do you remember where you got it from and if one brand is better than the other?

I get that problem sometimes. I'm using OTG with an Galaxy S9+. Do you notice a difference when viewing on your computer?

When using an OTG cable, you can put your phone in airplane mode. This is removing all Bluetooth, data and WiFi signals that maybe interfering. Also, apple watches/smart watches have been known to cause interference. Hope that helps.

Check your individual device because putting it in Airplane mode does not necessarily turn off WiFi, just data.

Some airlines have WiFi for passenger use and the Airplane mode allows WiFi access and not data streaming.

Check to be sure WiFi is OFF by going to your device settings.

I fly with a mini4 in Airplane mode and still have a connection via WiFi (no OTG cable) because my WiFi is turned ON.

If I fly with the cable, I make sure it's turned OFF to make sure the device doesn't pickup any other WiFi.

Waited along time for otg to be supported with android and finally a update that supports it so I brought a otg cable that had good reviews via ebay and it did not work at all so supplier sent out another free of charge and did not work so I purchased a different cable which also had good feedback in regards to spark usage and it worked but the lag is painful and not a safe option wifi it is here unfortunately

I use the CrystalSky Ultra to fly my Spark, has anyone used any of the CS models with an OTG cable to fly their Spark?

I just tried something this evening that I haven't done before and kinda surprised me.
I left on my Ipad WIFI connected to the internet and no Airplane mode, using DJI Go4 and used the OTG cable from initial startup and it worked great!
I actually flew out better than 5800 ft (more than a mile) and when reviewing in Air Data I had a sensor score of 100 and only one minor signal drop out that I didn't even notice. Hardly any control lag even at distance.

I use the same cable as RPL suggested , Owada-Lightn from Amazon, works great with my I-pad Mini2.

Reactions: RPL
I used the WiFi connection for the first time yesterday and I had my phone connected to a tripod with the controller in my hand I could walk quite far and my phone was still showing/connected the the go4 app pretty good I thought.

Well I can't even get the OTG cable to work with my Galaxy S7, Tried all sorts of things, but, still nothing. Any suggestions?

Well I can't even get the OTG cable to work with my Galaxy S7, Tried all sorts of things, but, still nothing. Any suggestions?
It could be the cable, I have 2 and only 1 works.
I use a galaxy S5 and a tab S2 8inch.
When I use the tablet I have to make the connection and restart the tablet to get it working.
GL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar