Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

otg or wifi

Brian S

Join
Feb 9, 2019
Can anyone advise me if its safer to use an otg cable instead of the wifi on my spark.

Regards
Brian S

Reactions: Neebuz
It's not necessary but preferred because it's a solid connection from the remote to the device vs. WiFi.

I don't use them because I don't have a problem with the WiFi connection, but results may vary depending on location (WiFi traffic from apartments, vacation spots, etc.).

I used the USB dongle thingy that came with my Samsung s7 at first but everything was a hassle fussing with the cable so I don't use it anymore.

That was then and this is now, and the OTG cables have gotten better in design and fit to the devices and remote.

I'm thinking about purchasing some quality OTG cables for each of my devices because I don't know what is in the future for the Spark and I should we get in a WiFi congested area.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.:)

It's not necessary but preferred because it's a solid connection from the remote to the device vs. WiFi.

I don't use them because I don't have a problem with the WiFi connection, but results may vary depending on location (WiFi traffic from apartments, vacation spots, etc.).

I used the USB dongle thingy that came with my Samsung s7 at first but everything was a hassle fussing with the cable so I don't use it anymore.

That was then and this is now, and the OTG cables have gotten better in design and fit to the devices and remote.

I'm thinking about purchasing some quality OTG cables for each of my devices because I don't know what is in the future for the Spark and I should we get in a WiFi congested area.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.:)

Thanks very much for the advice, I was already leaning towards using an otg cable so I will be using one from now on.

OTG cables have gotten better in design and fit to the devices and remote.
Talking of designs getting better, I use an OTG adapter like this.
Connect it to the RC and use the standard USB cable which came with your phone or tablet. 2017-digital-micro-usb-to-usb-otg-adapter.jpg

Reactions: Bugalugs11
While the OTG cable is probably the safest, it is also has the most latency, which is surprising. See this video where a guy tests out the latency on the different connection-types:

Latency measurements:

OTG Cable: 290ms
Phone->RC->Spark: 230ms
Phone wifi -> Spark: 250ms

Reactions: Bugalugs11
While the OTG cable is probably the safest, it is also has the most latency, which is surprising.

Latency measurements:

OTG Cable: 290ms
Phone->RC->Spark: 230ms
Phone wifi -> Spark: 250ms

60ms is effectively an imperceptible delay though. I would still think OTG cable would be more stable.

Reactions: BossOlive
WiFi connection between Spark and controller, is responsible for most of Spark's problems (lag, poor video, disconnections etc), so cannot be corrected by an otg cable.

I use an otg cable from time to time, but didn't find any significant difference.
Actually, wireless connection between device and controller, is one of Spark's advantages, to my opinion.

You can have Spark flying in a minute, without any wires and adapters, and that's very convenient.

Also, using wireless, you save controller's usb port from getting damaged.

Note, that during flight, you can have two persons operating Spark, one on the sticks, and one on the camera, without wires (of course in VLOS).

I would suggest everyone, to TEST Otg cable carefully, AND DECIDE if it's worthy, or if it's useful in any case.

If you use the OTG cable does it free up either the 2.4 or 5.8 wifi spectrum for the RC <-> AC communications?

Ok cool. So does that mean the AC to Spark is using wifi 802.1... or some proprietary RF?

And if you are not using OTG which band does it use for the phone and how do you know which is being used?

Ok cool. So does that mean the AC to Spark is using wifi 802.1... or some proprietary RF?

And if you are not using OTG which band does it use for the phone and how do you know which is being used?
Spark uses best, free of interference, channel, and you can see the band on your screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena