Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG soon to be history

aviscomi

Premium Pilot
Join
May 27, 2017
Loc
Philadelphia, PA
Well according the the DJI Techs it looks like flying with the OTG cable will soon be history. There was also some chatter about this over on the DJI forum, but nothing official.

Attachments

• OTG1.JPG
    OTG1.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: clackey
The DJI forum post said, "try to turn off BT". What is BT?

Bluetooth?

Just a little disappointed if they're going to remove it. Access to a work around that actually works will be removed. Hope they can fix the wifi disconnect.

So this is the first I'm hearing of this. I took a moment to send them my thoughts to [email protected] per their request on the DJI forums. I may have been a little heated while writing this:

Good morning,

I am providing some Spark feedback per your request on the DJI Forums.

First and foremost, I’ve seen some chatter on the forums about DJI disabling the OTG connection from the controller to the iphone that people have been using. If you disable this capability, I will be extremely upset. I understand that for some reason, you want users to connect to the controller via wifi. However, MANY users, myself included, have had issues with getting a quality video feed when connected via wifi. This makes the drone basically unusable. I really don’t care that you have chosen not to support the OTG connection. DO NOT disable it. No one is asking you to disable this connection. It is not causing any issues. Your engineers can pat themselves on the back on making the wireless technology, but I should not be forced to use it if it gives me poorer performance.

I currently love my Spark. My experience with this drone has me hooked and I am considering buying an Osmo, Phantom 4 Pro, and possibly an Inspire down the road to use for business. This is all contingent on not being forced to use the wifi connection to the RC. The disabling of this capability will be evidence to me that DJI does not care about their customers and their experience with your products.

I would appreciate a reply to this email. Preferably this reply would include confirmation that this capability will not be removed. If it will be removed, advance notice would be nice so I can start shopping for other companies to spend $4,000+ with when I start my business.

Sincerely,
MPhelps81

So this is the first I'm hearing of this. I took a moment to send them my thoughts to [email protected] per their request on the DJI forums. I may have been a little heated while writing this:

Good morning,

I am providing some Spark feedback per your request on the DJI Forums.

First and foremost, I’ve seen some chatter on the forums about DJI disabling the OTG connection from the controller to the iphone that people have been using. If you disable this capability, I will be extremely upset. I understand that for some reason, you want users to connect to the controller via wifi. However, MANY users, myself included, have had issues with getting a quality video feed when connected via wifi. This makes the drone basically unusable. I really don’t care that you have chosen not to support the OTG connection. DO NOT disable it. No one is asking you to disable this connection. It is not causing any issues. Your engineers can pat themselves on the back on making the wireless technology, but I should not be forced to use it if it gives me poorer performance.

I currently love my Spark. My experience with this drone has me hooked and I am considering buying an Osmo, Phantom 4 Pro, and possibly an Inspire down the road to use for business. This is all contingent on not being forced to use the wifi connection to the RC. The disabling of this capability will be evidence to me that DJI does not care about their customers and their experience with your products.

I would appreciate a reply to this email. Preferably this reply would include confirmation that this capability will not be removed. If it will be removed, advance notice would be nice so I can start shopping for other companies to spend $4,000+ with when I start my business.

Sincerely,
MPhelps81

Emailed support as well. My Spark is pretty useless with wifi to my android or iPhone 5s.. but I did see this coming. It always seemed like DJI did not anticipate this working and we were using their product in a fashion they do not want to support - or they would have added in a traditional USB connection like on the MP.

Interesting...thanks for sharing @aviscomi

Reactions: Sinmike
If they somehow disable this, how will the goggles work? Unless they have some ability to recognize what device is connected.

Reactions: Advexure
as I fly with OTG from the first day [and I own my spark for just 3 days now] I don't even want to try it without the cable.. but it made me think - "removing the OTG option" can be done by firmware update, right? so I assume, that downgrading should bring the OTG back?

I know, I know - the newer firmware, the better [at last it supposed to be this way], but if that would be the only option to keep OTG working, maybe it's worth considering.

OTG is the whole reason I ordered a controller. Without OTG, why bother?

Well lets give them (DJI) a chance and see what a new firmware update brings to the table.

If they somehow disable this, how will the goggles work? Unless they have some ability to recognize what device is connected.
See below in regards to OTG & goggles:

upload_2017-7-16_19-20-37.png

They just check if its the goggles that are connected and allow it.

IF DJI decides that way, why on earth would you have to follow like Lemmings ?

Spark is rooted so there probably would be a third party solution anyways combining "allow OTG" with future updates.

Ender

watch as everyone sells their spark as it suddenly becomes useless!
FU DJI!!!!
Again, IF they decide to scrap OTG and IF you cannot live with that, no one can force you to update since the last discoveries.
So chill :)

Ender

Why? And they can pay to return all the different cables I've bought then.
Well according the the DJI Techs it looks like flying with the OTG cable will soon be history. There was also some chatter about this over on the DJI forum, but nothing official.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme