Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG soon to be history

Some say the problem is that the controller is not MFI certified by Apple and that DJI is reluctant to pay the "Apple Tax" per unit and endure the red tape necessary to achieve certification for a feature that was never officially supported. How this will affect android devices is unclear.

Reactions: Advexure
as I fly with OTG from the first day [and I own my spark for just 3 days now] I don't even want to try it without the cable.. but it made me think - "removing the OTG option" can be done by firmware update, right? so I assume, that downgrading should bring the OTG back?

I know, I know - the newer firmware, the better [at last it supposed to be this way], but if that would be the only option to keep OTG working, maybe it's worth considering.
I will not be upgrading my rc till I know that they will not be taking the OTG function out but can’t see how they can take it away and still use the goggles like they have been advertising. 1 of the reasons that I purchased the goggles. They r still 2 this day advertising the goggles with the spark so if they take away the OTG that would be false advertising!

Okay, thanks!

Some say the problem is that the controller is not MFI certified by Apple and that DJI is reluctant to pay the "Apple Tax" per unit and endure the red tape necessary to achieve certification for a feature that was never officially supported. How this will affect android devices is unclear.

I've read that too

My opinion of the spark is Kluge. Just like microsoft, every other new product is a Kluge. Dji will persist but only because one product succeeded, the mavic. You do realize that China has total control of all these drones and at will can and would turn all of them off. Oh, and the goggles are a kluge also. Enjoy your new boss, same as the old boss/spy.

My opinion of the spark is Kluge. Just like microsoft, every other new product is a Kluge. Dji will persist but only because one product succeeded, the mavic. You do realize that China has total control of all these drones and at will can and would turn all of them off. Oh, and the goggles are a kluge also. Enjoy your new boss, same as the old boss/spy.
WTF:rolleyes:

Reactions: Sparkbart
I will not be upgrading my rc till I know that they will not be taking the OTG function out but can’t see how they can take it away and still use the goggles like they have been advertising. 1 of the reasons that I purchased the goggles. They r still 2 this day advertising the goggles with the spark so if they take away the OTG that would be false advertising!

about the goggles, as someone mentioned in this, or another topic, there's probably a way to disable OTG for everything but the goggles. you know, something like years ago samsung did with their chargers - a nifty trick with a small resistor inside, and samsung tablets could recognize if you are using their charger [if yes = let's charge!] or you are not [no charge, or really slow charge]. fortunately, after changing phone's kernel one could bypass this thing. so - the conclusion: DJI theoretically can "filter out" the goggles from "OTG ban" [if it comes], but then there's a hope, that some developer will find a way to bypass it :) and until he does it - yep, no upgrade, or the downgrade can be the way to go.

So this is the first I'm hearing of this. I took a moment to send them my thoughts to [email protected] per their request on the DJI forums. I may have been a little heated while writing this:

Good morning,

I am providing some Spark feedback per your request on the DJI Forums.

First and foremost, I’ve seen some chatter on the forums about DJI disabling the OTG connection from the controller to the iphone that people have been using. If you disable this capability, I will be extremely upset. I understand that for some reason, you want users to connect to the controller via wifi. However, MANY users, myself included, have had issues with getting a quality video feed when connected via wifi. This makes the drone basically unusable. I really don’t care that you have chosen not to support the OTG connection. DO NOT disable it. No one is asking you to disable this connection. It is not causing any issues. Your engineers can pat themselves on the back on making the wireless technology, but I should not be forced to use it if it gives me poorer performance.

I currently love my Spark. My experience with this drone has me hooked and I am considering buying an Osmo, Phantom 4 Pro, and possibly an Inspire down the road to use for business. This is all contingent on not being forced to use the wifi connection to the RC. The disabling of this capability will be evidence to me that DJI does not care about their customers and their experience with your products.

I would appreciate a reply to this email. Preferably this reply would include confirmation that this capability will not be removed. If it will be removed, advance notice would be nice so I can start shopping for other companies to spend $4,000+ with when I start my business.

Sincerely,
MPhelps81
Very well said

Reactions: Advexure
Again, IF they decide to scrap OTG and IF you cannot live with that, no one can force you to update since the last discoveries.
So chill :)

Ender

just because DJI says for you to up date, doesn't mean you have to. DJI is constantly sending me messages to up date (I just debleat them); I haven't up dated my Spark for a year since I bought it, works fine with no problems, so why up date ??

just because DJI says for you to up date, doesn't mean you have to. DJI is constantly sending me messages to up date (I just debleat them); I haven't up dated my Spark for a year since I bought it, works fine with no problems, so why up date ??
This thread is old, and didn't come true.
DJI now supports otg officially.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
Bud, you have been reviving a LOT of long dead threads. While I appreciate you using the search function or something, please be mindful of how old they are, and if they contain no longer relevant information. Like this thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast