Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Pilot Error! Killer Spark Crash -

Arby

Join
Nov 11, 2018
Loc
Worcester, MA.
View media item 112
View media item 115
I did it !
I killed my drone.!.
I love flying my Spark .
It is so quick and simple to get up in the air .
I was filming a new building under construction and I went over the roof to see the other side.
I lost sight of my Spark and as I backed up to get a better view . Wham !.
I backed right into a big tree and plummeted about 40 feet to the frozen ground below .
I totaled my drone .
Broken camera , props , lights, sensors and front motor arm .
What a mess I made .

PLEASE Do not make the same mistake I did .
Take your time and always know what's around your drone especially if you are flying in reverse, where there are no obstacle sensors .

Attachments

• 20190204_155157.jpg
    20190204_155157.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 165
Ouch! Hopefully you have DJI Refresh or some other insurance...If not this is a good reason to get it! Accidents happen. It sucks but it could have been worse....At least you didn't take out a plane along with it!!

Couldn't open your attachments...I got an error code saying "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action".

Lots of cheap parts on EBay if you want to try & save her, or save yours for parts and all you'll need to buy is just the basic unit.

Sorry man!!

View media item 112
View media item 115
I did it !
I killed my drone.!.
I love flying my Spark .
I was filming a new building under construction and I went over the roof to see the other side.
I backed right into a big tree and plummeted about 40 feet to the frozen ground below .
I totaled my drone .
What a mess I made .

Take your time and always know what's around your drone especially if you are flying in reverse, where there are no obstacle sensors .
Thanks for sharing this with us. Like many others on the forum, having read about your unfortunate incident it will be recorded somewhere in the mind and will hopefully ring bells if we find ourselves in similar circumstances and consider a blind reverse. Insurance such as dji refresh is a must because with the best will in the world, accidents will happen.

OOhh,, not good,, hopefully your message reaches out and helps a lot of other drone flyers.. any chance of a rebuild ??

Ouch! Hopefully you have DJI Refresh or some other insurance...If not this is a good reason to get it! Accidents happen. It sucks but it could have been worse....At least you didn't take out a plane along with it!!

Couldn't open your attachments...I got an error code saying "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action".

Lots of cheap parts on EBay if you want to try & save her, or save yours for parts and all you'll need to buy is just the basic unit.

Sorry man!!

Thanks for the feedback Mano re my attachments . I willl try to re post so folks can view the carnage!
Of course you are right ...I should have purchased Refresh when I had the opportunity , but alas I didn't . Another learning experience for me ....(and others I hope)

Thanks for sharing this with us. Like many others on the forum, having read about your unfortunate incident it will be recorded somewhere in the mind and will hopefully ring bells if we find ourselves in similar circumstances and consider a blind reverse. Insurance such as dji refresh is a must because with the best will in the world, accidents will happen.

Miket, thanks for the response . I just got my new Spark (#2) last week and this time I purchased DJI Refresh with my order. (Which was very affordable compared to the cost of a new drone!)

OOhh,, not good,, hopefully your message reaches out and helps a lot of other drone flyers.. any chance of a rebuild ??

Hi John, a rebuild might be possible for some , but I decided it was beyond my expertise, so I purchased a new Spark. I love flying it ...its quick and easy to fly and takes great photos and videos. Can someone recommend a repair site? Thanks.

Did the same thing mine hit a tree luckily I had the props which I always use either my Spark or my mavic platinum just knocked off my sensor and I'm sensor. All fixed by a great company in the UK. Sorry about your loss regards Irvine (Portsmouth UK
View media item 112
View media item 115
I did it !
I killed my drone.!.
I love flying my Spark .
I totaled my drone .
What a mess I made .

Sorry forgot to put prop guards these are a must
Did the same thing mine hit a tree luckily I had the props which I always use either my Spark or my mavic platinum just knocked off my sensor and I'm sensor. All fixed by a great company in the UK. Sorry about your loss regards Irvine (Portsmouth UK

Hi John, a rebuild might be possible for some , but I decided it was beyond my expertise, so I purchased a new Spark. I love flying it ...its quick and easy to fly and takes great photos and videos. Can someone recommend a repair site? Thanks.

The only repair site that gets repeated mention on DJI pilot forums is ThunderDrones. Lots of very positive feedback on their work. And he had lots of helpful posts in Mavic forum too

But considering the damage list I'd expect a repair bill very close to replacement price on a refurbished unit direct from DJI ($279).

Hi all I live in Portsmouth UK and recently crashed my Spark drone having tried a few repair companies who both quoted £280 almost what I paid for my drone.

I found TFIX in Mitcham . Surrey (www. tfix.co.uk ) they were brilliant cost me £80 inc postage a really friendly company no cowboys. Fix any drone costs you £29 for a quote they will tell you what's wrong and how much to fix it. 3 months warranty.

Thomas is the main man speak to him or any of his workers very polite and afficient. Don't get seen off by bozo,'s try them you won't be let down. Regards Irvine
The only repair site that gets repeated mention on DJI pilot forums is ThunderDrones. Lots of very positive feedback on their work. And he had lots of helpful posts in Mavic forum too

But considering the damage list I'd expect a repair bill very close to replacement price on a refurbished unit direct from DJI ($279).

Reactions: Onelight74
Sorry to hear about your crash and loss of drone. Experienced similar event recently in sport mode. Misjudged the drift and clipped a branch which resulted in only a 6ft drop into soft grass, but enough to fracture the rotor arm. Thankfully I did put out the cash for DJI Refresh.

Worth every penny given the potential for a crash or loss of drone. Was also really impressed with the overall service experience. Easy to submit the case and great updates from DJI on the progress of the case.

Should be back with me shortly and will only have been grounded for about a week.

Hope you can find someone to recover the damaged drone!

Reactions: mano
Drone was recovered and damage repaired really great company not having the dji refresh made up for it with a really great repair cost
Sorry to hear about your crash and loss of drone. Experienced similar event recently in sport mode. Misjudged the drift and clipped a branch which resulted in only a 6ft drop into soft grass, but enough to fracture the rotor arm. Thankfully I did put out the cash for DJI Refresh.

Worth every penny given the potential for a crash or loss of drone. Was also really impressed with the overall service experience. Easy to submit the case and great updates from DJI on the progress of the case.

Should be back with me shortly and will only have been grounded for about a week.

Hope you can find someone to recover the damaged drone!

Reactions: Onelight74
View media item 112
View media item 115
I did it !
I killed my drone.!.
I love flying my Spark .
I totaled my drone .
What a mess I made .

BUMMER DRAG :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme