Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

PolarPro filters...worth it?

gnuPilot

Join
Jul 24, 2017
PolarPro is re-releasing their filters for Spark but I’m wondering if they are actually worth purchasing. They have several versions with the most expensive being $150 for 6. Do the shutter speed reductions really help with the tiny sensor the Spark has?

To each its own: I purchased the equivalent package for my Phantom 3 and I use them really rarely. Surely I will not buy a set for the Spark, because the latter is used for social media imaging, hence not worth $150. There are people to whom spending a third of the quad's value in some filters is totally worth, to me it is an expensive accessory which is not necessary at the moment. If the necessity arises I will first try a DYI solution, and eventually buy the ready made solution. That said, PP filters are great and I can voucher for the quality of the product (at least for the P3 series)

I use the 3 pack on all of my other DJI platforms. I doubt that I'll use/buy filters on my Spark mainly because if I'm worried about picture/video quality then I should be using a different platform.

Reactions: stylo21
The camera / gimbal on the spark seems extremely delicate and I wonder what adding weight to it is going to do.
I am getting excellent video and stills without filters, so I, for one, won't buy any.

IMHO, filters are for platforms used to create cinematic quality video, like the Inspires, advanced Phantoms, or perhaps even the Mavic...but, not the Spark.

Reactions: Mako79
In Phantom3, a NP filter was coming to replace the UV filter, so almost a neutral operation (from weight point of view). Here there is nothing you can really do apart adding unbalanced weight. Seems risky to me and also the Spark has limited control over the recorded video, so would be not bad if not creating an issue with the gimbal. As I use it more for photography, ND filter are useless and I can leave with the video as it is, I have a PH3P for that.

Would the Polar pro UV Filter be a good addition? Not only for protection but also quality of the photo/video ?

That said Polar pro pricing seems ridiculous to me. Just compare their Control Stick protector with PGYTECH's one..

DJI Spark UV Filter

Last edited:
IMHO, filters are for platforms used to create cinematic quality video, like the Inspires, advanced Phantoms, or perhaps even the Mavic...but, not the Spark.

I agree.

You want the spark to be spontaneous. You don't want to fiddle around for the correct ND filter. Mine is specifically used with my phone for instantaneous vids/photos.
I already think those who purchased the fly-more package should have invested in the Mavic fly-less since they have to find the controller, pair the controller (or otg).

To each his own I think. I like the spark because it is quick to set up and you can shoot instantly. But it doesnt mean that I shouldnt use it for some more cinematic shots.
It could also be a bridge for some beginners into the drone world to start practising before investing in some more serious aircraft.

I myself is seriously considering some ND filters.
Saw some videos that this can really make a lot of difference.
But those are on a mavic.
Until now, the review on ND filters on spark hasnt really show great difference.
The polarpro review turned everything orange.

To each his own I think. I like the spark because it is quick to set up and you can shoot instantly. But it doesnt mean that I shouldnt use it for some more cinematic shots.
It could also be a bridge for some beginners into the drone world to start practising before investing in some more serious aircraft.

I myself is seriously considering some ND filters.
Saw some videos that this can really make a lot of difference.
But those are on a mavic.
Until now, the review on ND filters on spark hasnt really show great difference.
The polarpro review turned everything orange.

Great to read from a fellow Dutchman :)

The problem with Spark filters is that they are too new to see any sensible reviews other than promotional ones (forgive me if I am wrong).

The Polar Pro filters became available in the Netherlands this week and the PGYTECH ones will be available soon.

There is quite some price difference and I am not sure of the polar Pro price level can be justified. Just compare their control stick protector pricing with the PGYTECH one and you know what I am talking about ;)

To be continued...

Hello there mede-nlers :)

Yes i agree, i will wait for more reviews before deciding.
And regarding the price, having a little background in photography, I know that proper filter can really make a difference in quality. But that is on a proper DSLR.
And usually you can see right away the difference between cheap ebay filters (or those filters offered to you on mickey mouse "photography" shops in touristic areas)
and the real filters which are usually much more expensive. I got a hard time convincing the wife why I need 100 eur+ for a piece of glass. Let alone trying to get her approval for dang expensive tokina filter LOL
On the spark, I am not so sure that I would notice that big difference that would justify going from around 10 eur to over 60 eur. :confused:
My goal is to get that sweet spot of 1/60 shutter speed without it being too overexposed.
Hell I might as well cover the whole front with some diy sunglass/ old nd filters from my nikon! hhahaha

Would the Polar pro UV Filter be a good addition? Not only for protection but also quality of the photo/video ?

That said Polar pro pricing seems ridiculous to me. Just compare their Control Stick protector with PGYTECH's one..

DJI Spark UV Filter
I'm also looking for this one. Not for the quality but for protection. And mainly for the Cleaning of the lens. All previous Dji products had a filter. With filter on it's no problem to dampen the lens with your breath and clean the surface with a soft issue.
For the spark to clean the lens without a filter I don't know. The chance exists that you could damage your lens.
I'm curious about this UV filter

Reactions: julian46
I'm curious about this UV filter
I just got one of these today. I think I got the fighting edition though ("DJI SPAR").

SparkUV.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

We are aware of the packaging misprint, and apologize for any confusion. We opted to move ahead with the planned shipments so as to not cause any delays for anyone, but the problem is being corrected and the packaging will be labeled appropriately moving forward. The filter in the photo is genuine.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Hello there mede-nlers :)

Yes i agree, i will wait for more reviews before deciding.
And regarding the price, having a little background in photography, I know that proper filter can really make a difference in quality. But that is on a proper DSLR.
And usually you can see right away the difference between cheap ebay filters (or those filters offered to you on mickey mouse "photography" shops in touristic areas)
and the real filters which are usually much more expensive. I got a hard time convincing the wife why I need 100 eur+ for a piece of glass. Let alone trying to get her approval for dang expensive tokina filter LOL
On the spark, I am not so sure that I would notice that big difference that would justify going from around 10 eur to over 60 eur. :confused:
My goal is to get that sweet spot of 1/60 shutter speed without it being too overexposed.
Hell I might as well cover the whole front with some diy sunglass/ old nd filters from my nikon! hhahaha

I purchased the cinema series shutter collection (ND8, ND16 and ND32) and have been very happy with the set. For the lighting conditions I typically fly in, the ND8 stays on most of the time. That gets me to the 1/60th shutter speed with good exposer. Point being I am not changing out the filter a lot so setup time has not been an issue for me.

Typically I fly in sport mode to get out to where I want to take a shot and have not notice any gimbal flop or gimbal overload. Also have not noticed any gimbal micro-vibrations or other ill effects having the filters on. I personally think they are worth having in your kit (just one man's opinion).

Just as a FYI, PolarPro has a nice free filter guide app (can be used for any filter brand) that is very useful if you are new to ND filters.

Last edited:
I have only had a drone for a short time, so I am still logging ‘rookie’ flight time... that being said, I just picked up the PolarPro 3-pack of filters on a whim at Best Buy for about $54 after sales tax (the Spark-5001 set which includes Fixed Polarizer (FP), Neutral Density 8 (ND8), and Neutral Density 16 (ND16)). I have not yet had a chance to use them, but here are my initial opinions and thoughts (I will re-visit this post once I have had a chance to evaluate them and update these opinions as need be):

-I don’t see Gimbal strength/filter weight being an issue at all because these things are seriously light (the FP comes in at a whopping .645g and the ND8 and ND16 each come in at .635g!)

-The fit and “grab” of the filters is really good without being at risk of falling off in flight while still easy to remove without having to “man-handle them at all, and even if they did fall off, PolarPro says they’ll replace it right in their documentation.

-There is an available app (for FREE) from PolarPro for iOS and Android that guides you how to use your filters based on camera settings and outdoor conditions where you’re at. And it looks really slick and professional, too!

*also, just a note... I have one of those aftermarket Gimbal guards from eBay, and the filters fit underneath it just fine. I can leave the filter on and still install the guard with perfect fit!

Honestly, I’m already impressed with the set and can’t wait to go try it out, but I really don’t think it’ll be going anywhere, as I have a feeling it will perform as expected and advertised!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh