Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Police Drone suspect in helicopter crash

I started looking into news reports about this, because I'm interested in how fake news originates and is spread and it is funny how, as a result of the abundant articles on different news sites with titles as "Police are denying their drone was involved" it's easy to get the idea that something is being covered up.
And adding "Of course the police deny it" to your post does help reinforcing that idea. Or maybe I'm interpreting this remark wrong, english is not my native language and it is sometimes difficult to get the nuances in a text....

Sorry, but I am not making 'fake news' I posted a link to a UK daily newspaper. In the article they mentioned that a police drone was in the area at the time. Following the link, you can make up your own mind. My flippant comment is because it is typical for a British authority to deny everything, perhaps before they should. We will see it they can provide evidence in due course.
I posted the link because it has interest value to our forum. Linking a national newspaper is not spreading fake news.

Reactions: mano
We should probably get a fact straight here. What the Police and other authorities do tend to do is not respond to questions or accusations as quickly as they should. Leaving an opening for fake news or people to fill to gaps in stories. There will of course be a full crash investigation and unlike perhaps other places there won't be a cover up with the findings. The Police would not have denied drone involvement if there was a possibility that one firstly in the air at that time (unlikely as all the fans had already left the ground) and that there was any possibility it had contributed to the accident. We shall see.....

It's not a case of making 'fake news' it's a case of propagating it. Linking to 'A national newspaper' actually is spreading fake news because there is no substance to the original report, there is no corroboration of any of the suggestions they are making.

Various papers are reporting that there was a Police Drone around at the time of the crash. How do they know that ? From eyewitnesses ? How do you define 'around the time of something'? Did anyone report seeing an impact with the Helicopter?

All of this is vague and spurious and doesn't help anyone.

My flippant comment is because it is typical for a British authority to deny everything, perhaps before they should. We will see it they can provide evidence in due course.

Why would they need to provide evidence? Can you prove that one of your drones wasn't involved?

As a drone community there are enough people trying to blame us for everything , it would be better to support all drone users rather than try to blame someone for a horrific accident when there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest any link. As has been said the AAIB will deal with it and report without 'covering it up'

If the police deny the involvement of the drone, then they should have produced photographs of the intact drone immediately after the crash that would substantiate their claim of no drone involvement in this unfortunate event. In addition, if in fact the drone was present, did it record any kind of video of the crash that could be used in assisting in the investigation of the cause of the crash.

In my opinion, I think that there were facts left out of this story. Such as did the pilot report any malfunctions right before the crash over the radio? And I have to wonder if these aircraft that are used in this manner have any kind of "Black Box" technology aboard as well.

Reactions: steve.r
The police have stated their drone wasn't in the air at the time of the crash, so there wouldn't be any footage.

So they produce a picture of a drone, what does that prove?

There are loads of facts left out of the 'story', in fact it is devoid of factual basis !

Reactions: graywoulf
The investigation will include every aspect mentioned and many more that we ha ent spoken about. The last thing the Police would be interested in doing is posting a photo of any drones they may use. It doesn't help anyone but does allow people to know what they use and therefore research it's capabilities and limitations. I think you will find they will leave that one.

The police have stated their drone wasn't in the air at the time of the crash, so there wouldn't be any footage. So they produce a picture of a drone, what does that prove? There are loads of facts left out of the 'story', in fact it is devoid of factual basis !
So very true! I did consider that they could produce a picture that was previously taken. Or just any picture of a drone in fact. But as I stated, if their drone was present, could they have possibly gotten any video footage of the crash event at any stage either before or after. But as you stated... "There are loads of facts left out of the 'story',i n fact it is devoid of factual basis ! "

Reactions: Adam Jones
Well after seeing the video post a few days ago showing the damage a drone can do to an aircraft wing, I found it quite interesting. Not only that, but having been a flight mechanic working on Royal Flight helicopters I do understand the delicate nature of a rotary winged aircraft.

This event was a complete tragedy, the loss of life and loss to the families will be felt for a long time. I am hoping (as we are a drone community) that the police are correct and this was an unrelated event, the investigations will solve this. I just hope for our sake's that 'because' this was reported, everyone doesn't jump on the anti-drone bandwagon.

This has nothing to do with a drone and does not say a drone. Must be a really big drone since it talks about people "aboard" were killed.
Trey, no one was debating whether the vehicle the 5 poor people were travelling in was a drone instead of a helicopter.....just speculation as to whether a drone was in the same airspace at the same time as the helicopter.

Reactions: Spark 317
I don't really have too much an opinion because the story seems to not have enough supporting evidence.

I sincerely hope that this thread is now ended. There has not been one single indication of the cause of the tragic crash in Leicester, and at the moment it was a tragic accident. Until results of the investigation are know, we should refrain from speculation and fantasy and all just think of the poor victims and the sad loss to family, friends and Leicester City Football Club. RIP

Reactions: graywoulf
The Sun, The Mirror, Daily (Fail) Mail etc are just toilet paper. Why do people even bother reading this crap....hate spreading fake news @@s

Reactions: albasmac
"Harrowing" video! "hurtled to the ground!", "burst into flames!", "devastating moment!", "spiralling out of control!" Yeah, that pretty much rings ALL the click-bait alarms at the same time.

"several people suggested the aircraft could have encountered a problem after colliding with a police drone" - so we're going to publish SPECULATION by amateurs since we have zero facts. Yeah that's just great reporting right there. It also could have encountered a problem after (insert anything here that grabs headlines).

They're lucky they did that with the city police. Try that stunt with a private individual or company and you're going to land on the wrong end of a defamation/libel suite that you're gonna lose because you opened your mouth with zero facts to back your words up.

Nothing to see here, move on.

"Harrowing" video! "hurtled to the ground!", "burst into flames!", "devastating moment!", "spiralling out of control!" Yeah, that pretty much rings ALL the click-bait alarms at the same time.

"several people suggested the aircraft could have encountered a problem after colliding with a police drone" - so we're going to publish SPECULATION by amateurs since we have zero facts. Yeah that's just great reporting right there. It also could have encountered a problem after (insert anything here that grabs headlines).

They're lucky they did that with the city police. Try that stunt with a private individual or company and you're going to land on the wrong end of a defamation/libel suite that you're gonna lose because you opened your mouth with zero facts to back your words up.

Nothing to see here, move on.
and you clicked..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme