Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Possible motor issue occurring?

Adrianvert

Join
Feb 13, 2018
Three of the motors have a definate "snap" between the magnets as they rotate manually with fingers. Once every 8th of a rotation or so. One if the motors does not have this behaviour. I only came across this by chance and not due to any flight issues. I wanted to know if this is a possible future issue with the motor? Is it possible it is a defect? I have only had the drone around a week.

I was told that if this happens to brushless motor, it means that magnets inside has been demagnetized. This could be due to faulty material or aging of magnets. In your case for sure isn't age. I was also told that this has an affect to efficiency of the motor - it will heat more than it would if magnets were OK. This could lead to permanent motor damage.
From my personal experiences: I have 1 brushless motor on one of my RC buggys, on which you couldn't feel any magnet resistance when turning it by hand after a few months. Believe it or not, but this motor runs - from performance point of view - better than my other motors on the exactly the same type of buggy and with exactly the same type of ESC, same settings, gearing,...
But it does heat for app. 20% higher and battery lasts for app. 20% less.
Spark will fly with this motor. But if I were you, I'd do a test flight and compare motor temperatures of all 4 motors. If this motor is way more hot than other 3, I'd replace it.
I have no worries for my RC buggy: if motor will burn out, buggy will stop and that's about it. If motor fails on Spark, it will fall from the sky like a stone.

I was told that if this happens to brushless motor, it means that magnets inside has been demagnetized. This could be due to faulty material or aging of magnets. In your case for sure isn't age. I was also told that this has an affect to efficiency of the motor - it will heat more than it would if magnets were OK. This could lead to permanent motor damage.
From my personal experiences: I have 1 brushless motor on one of my RC buggys, on which you couldn't feel any magnet resistance when turning it by hand after a few months. Believe it or not, but this motor runs - from performance point of view - better than my other motors on the exactly the same type of buggy and with exactly the same type of ESC, same settings, gearing,...
But it does heat for app. 20% higher and battery lasts for app. 20% less.
Spark will fly with this motor. But if I were you, I'd do a test flight and compare motor temperatures of all 4 motors. If this motor is way more hot than other 3, I'd replace it.
I have no worries for my RC buggy: if motor will burn out, buggy will stop and that's about it. If motor fails on Spark, it will fall from the sky like a stone.
How can I test the motor temperatures?

With this or something similar:

Turnigy Infrared Thermometer (-33 ~ 220Celsius)

Maybe you'll be able to feel the difference by your hand, but one IR thermometer would be the best. It's not even important if it is very accurate. You'll measure all motors with one device and you'll se the difference - if it is there.

Three of the motors have a definate "snap" between the magnets as they rotate manually with fingers. Once every 8th of a rotation or so. One if the motors does not have this behaviour. I only came across this by chance and not due to any flight issues. I wanted to know if this is a possible future issue with the motor? Is it possible it is a defect? I have only had the drone around a week.
I noticed this with my Spark out of the box, but all my motors stop and start at the same time and have no squeeks or bad bearings and it flys good and all my motors have the same or close temps after flight.

Let me guess.. it's your back left motor that feels less notchy with magnets than the other 3?

Some motors have different resistance with the magnets. If you look on Google for an old phantom thread that this had been mentioned before and its no way to tell if a motor is bad or not so of it flies OK and stops and starts the same as the others it should be good.

As I said, unless I'm missing something.. I noticed this with mine out of the box and it doesn't effect flight whatsoever defo not a bad motor just because it feels less notchy than the others.

Reactions: Adrianvert
Good to know as DJI are taking forever to get back to me. Instantly asked for my receipt and SN then nothing...

No it's the front right motor but still sounds like it's probably nothing.

Good to know as DJI are taking forever to get back to me. Instantly asked for my receipt and SN then nothing...

No it's the front right motor but still sounds like it's probably nothing.
Honestly I was worrying about this for weeks when I noticed mine feel less notchy than the other 3, but that particular motor stops and starts the same as the other 3 with no bearing noise, neither does it get warmer than the other 3. When I flew mine (as bizarre as this sounds), right after flights I quickly shut down the Spark (turned off), I put my lips on each motor and temps were no different than the other 3. No need for a temp gun because each motor did not get hot just barely warm.

Actually, I flown/hovered full battery's in doors 3-4 times alone with prop guards on and did the same again temps very low on all motors and probably even cooler than my flights out doors where I was flying 80-100 feet up and flying around a big football field for 2 full batteries in GPS mode full speed.

Maybe they would get warmer flying in sport mode but I will never use sport mode not on a gps quad. I only fly in gps mode.

I know I sound crazy by saying this but still.. I know what it feels like to be discouraged with a new drone.

Glad I found this thread because it kind of addresses my worries also.
I've noticed my two left hand motors are less notchy than the right ones, and yes it seems to fly ok but I am noticing it flies to the left sometimes when it should be going straight...bit disconcerting. May be interference from somewhere or may be motors, will have to do some more flying tests.
But those two motors are definetly a lot less notchy.

Think I'm just having a conversation with myself here but who cares.
OK so did a little flying today and the issue of not flying in a straight line is not motors but just a recalibration of my compass.
Everything is all good again.
So top tip just remember to re calibrate that compass every now and again to be sure...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast