Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Precision Landing almost caused a crash

sparkpilot9000

Join
Feb 16, 2018
I have 90 flights with my spark for a total of 8 hours many during low-light. Today while performing an automatic return to home, at 30 feet my spark activated precision landing, then at around 16 feet high went full speed in another direction while indicating "looking for precision landing" in another area about 50 feet away. I was able to avoid a crash by quickly intervening with the control sticks. This was at dark (6pm) and has never happened before. According to the flight data I took off and hovered for around 14 seconds before proceeding with my flight. Was the cause of this taking off too fast? I didn't think precision landing worked at night and would not try to work if light was insufficient. I have upload the flight log.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-02-15_[18-26-29].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here is a screen shot showing the moment it activated precision landing in another area other than my home point you can see that the aircraft veered away full speed 43ft from the home point with yaw locked in the same direction during the RTH auto-land sequence.

Attachments

• IMG_0386.PNG
    IMG_0386.PNG
    5.2 MB · Views: 97
Spark is daytime VFR only...

this happened to me once when I climbed and took off to the side probably before Spark was able to make a reference picture for precision landing. On returning, the pop up showed up saying "Correcting Aircraft position" and it went for landing in the middle of the road (i flew across it straight after takeoff) so it maybe took the precision landing shot above road when I was already flying sideways.

I don't think DJI's 'fail-safe' measures are always as it should be. I mean, sure, the light was not sufficient for a precision landing, but why then not just pause the landing procedure, or land normally? Surely this is a software error? Same as my spark that came down at full speed when the bottom VPS failed because of fog. Had it just landed at the normal speed I would have been able to avoid a crash...

What I do when my spark's RTH is triggered (normally due to low battery), I keep my finger on the pause button in case it goes rogue, as soon as it is within reach, I hit the pause button en bring it down the last 5 or so meters myself, just in case.

What I do when my spark's RTH is triggered (normally due to low battery), I keep my finger on the pause button in case it goes rogue, as soon as it is within reach, I hit the pause button en bring it down the last 5 or so meters myself, just in case.

definitely agree with you - it's better to land it by yourself.

definitely agree with you - it's better to land it by yourself.

Pilot the craft manually, rely on return to home only in actual emergency situations. And as msinger posted in low light conditions you were already asking for trouble.

The spark is a fantastic night flyer but don't try to precision land at night turn off OA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast