Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Preventing accidental landing

SpeedCore

Join
Oct 2, 2017
Loc
Austria
I want to fly close over the water surface of a river and I'm afraid that when I approach towards the water surface pushing the altitude joystick down the Spark could think I wanted to land and lands in the water. Do you know if there's a way to prevent this or do I just have to be careful when lowering the Spark towards the surface?

It won't land unless you try to land... it will act normal. I fly above surf out front my place all the time without a single issue... but remember it is a drone not a submarine. I wouldn't get closer than 1m unless you have floats for water landings.

Just don't pull the throttle stick fully down when you are low level above water.

Reactions: SpeedCore
I lower the throttle while still going forward until I'm down to where I want to be height-wise. Remember to rely on your eyes, not what the altimeter says and be aware of any changing terrain as you traverse the river.

Reactions: SpeedCore
I lower the throttle while still going forward until I'm down to where I want to be height-wise. Remember to rely on your eyes, not what the altimeter says and be aware of any changing terrain as you traverse the river.
This is key. Make sure you have good line-of-sight and be ready to pull up if it looks like the drone is losing altitude. I was flying over a small lake last weekend and not only did the lake surface mess with the perceived altitude but the Spark appeared to be losing altitude at times. Not sure if it was the shiny surface of the lake playing tricks on the Spark or what.

I have tried to get the spark down to 10cm for a photoshot, but whenever it got below about 30cm, it starts to land. Maybe 0,5 meter is a safe height?
Obstacle avoidance was set to off.

Reactions: BingErr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502