Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Props for SPARK - Questions that got through a beginner's head ... ;)

Der olle Hansen

Join
Jul 3, 2020
Loc
Luebeck, Germany
Hello folks, I am quite new here in the forum, I have been reading for quite some time, now I have registered and I have some questions about the propellers, which - according to my understanding - are THE essential components of the mechanics as they convert all commands of the electronic into motion.

Before I owned my second-hand SPARK, I had a drone of an other brand, also with foldable props. There it was said that the blades of the props had to be able to move very smoothly to avoid "jello" in the video recordings. So I optimized the props, with the corresponding improvement of the image quality.
Now with the SPARK, the blades of the props are quite stiff (they do not move easily in their axle bearing) - but I have not noticed any disadvantages in the video recordings.
Therefore my question:
  • Is it ok if the propeller blades are not moving particularly smooth? (The motor axles are running perfect!)

The props of the other drone were quite damageable. ?
Despite of some landings in high grass, where my SPARK has proven itself as a kind of lawnmower ?, the leading edges of the props are still undamaged - so my impression when running my fingertips over them.
  • Are the props ok as long as I don't see or feel any damage?
  • How often should you change the props?
    (I still use the same props that I got from the pre-owner - the spare props are red and I do not think, they are high-quality spare parts.)

More questions:
  • If I buy replacement props, how do I tell the difference between "original DJI" and replicas, which may be of much lower quality and affect engine performance and flight time?
  • At AliExpress I saw some offers with an explicit notice: "These propellers can only be used together with the Propeller Cage. Please do not use these propellers without the propeller cage, or else the flight time and maximum thrust will be reduced." (The technical background of this statement is difficult to understand ... :oops:)
    Does this statement make any sense at all? ;)

How often is a matter of preference. I would say I change mine more frequently (every other month maybe). I do inspect them for imperfections in the plastic and also throw them out if they show wear or damage.

This also sounds crazy but I actually write the dates I bought the props on the inside with a marker. This way I can tell the older ones from the new ones.

The DJI brand are good obviously but I’ve used the “Anbee” brand propellors With no problems. I use them a lot and have really put them to the test over the last year or so.

Last edited:
Looked at the Dji store and they show 2 prop set for 11.00 US. In Stock.

Done 230 flights and changed once although I don’t fly to the extremes the craft is capable of. Have crashed it twice and lost it in the mud once. I guess I have been very lucky. Enjoy your Spark.

I would not modify the props in any way.
I've only changed a prop or two out of several hundred flights. I damaged my props with prop holders when I first got the drone. The holder tore the trailing edge which is very thin.
I always land on hard surfaces or my hand. Generally my hand. I take off from the soft bag or a handy rock.

Reactions: twickers14
Thanks for your answers!
As I see you trust the OEM-props, so I will trust them, too. ;)

I'd like to test the props of Master Airscrew and shipping to Germany is "just" a bit more than a set of props itself - the German version of the DJI store wants 2,5 times the propeller price for shipping - but the SPARK props are sold out anyway.
So in case I have to replace the props I will use the red noname blades that came with the spark from the pre-owner and then check if DJI can deliver again.

I use the master airscrew and find them verry good. Only thing is they don't fold so you have to remove them before putting the drone away

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
Don't worry about how "tight" the props are compared to other drones. They seem to be that way on all the Sparks OEM props, and they work great. No Jello. A buddy of mine just got the Mavic Air 2, and his blades flop all over the place. How they doesn't keep the video from shaking, I don't know.

I change props when some knucklehead (me) damages them doing something knuckleheaded.

Don't worry about them stiff. That's just how they are. Your other brand drone did not have Spark's camera mount and would be more prone to jello with a vibration in the aircraft.

You probably want to stick to name brands when you buy props. DJI, Anbee and Master Airscrew are all respected brands here.

Reactions: RotorWash
DJI can not deliver right now ... Anbee is not available on German Amazon and MAS will send to Germany - for very high shipping costs - which is probably justified.

Finally I found out who made the spare props that came with the drone: They were made by CAMKIX.
I read some really bad reviews on Amazon like "no stable hovering anymore", "drone seems to fall into "holes in the air" when ascending", "no precise flight" and so on ...

As I own them now, I testet them today and I was very astonished: besides a slightly more annoying flight noise (just the opposite of what is said about MASTER AIR SCREW) they seemed to be totally ok. The SPARK behaved exactly like I flew with the original props.

So I will use them as reserve props and keep watching the German market. I will be notified if DJI can deliver again.

Hello folks, I am quite new here in the forum, I have been reading for quite some time, now I have registered and I have some questions about the propellers, which - according to my understanding - are THE essential components of the mechanics as they convert all commands of the electronic into motion.

Before I owned my second-hand SPARK, I had a drone of an other brand, also with foldable props. There it was said that the blades of the props had to be able to move very smoothly to avoid "jello" in the video recordings. So I optimized the props, with the corresponding improvement of the image quality.
Now with the SPARK, the blades of the props are quite stiff (they do not move easily in their axle bearing) - but I have not noticed any disadvantages in the video recordings.
Therefore my question:
  • Is it ok if the propeller blades are not moving particularly smooth? (The motor axles are running perfect!)

The props of the other drone were quite damageable. ?
Despite of some landings in high grass, where my SPARK has proven itself as a kind of lawnmower ?, the leading edges of the props are still undamaged - so my impression when running my fingertips over them.
  • Are the props ok as long as I don't see or feel any damage?
  • How often should you change the props?
    (I still use the same props that I got from the pre-owner - the spare props are red and I do not think, they are high-quality spare parts.)

More questions:
  • If I buy replacement props, how do I tell the difference between "original DJI" and replicas, which may be of much lower quality and affect engine performance and flight time?
  • At AliExpress I saw some offers with an explicit notice: "These propellers can only be used together with the Propeller Cage. Please do not use these propellers without the propeller cage, or else the flight time and maximum thrust will be reduced." (The technical background of this statement is difficult to understand ... :oops:)
    Does this statement make any sense at all? ;)
I have been buying the cheapest props as well as expensive ones , can’t see any difference in performance, but do find some are more flexible than others I am not offering any advice because I don’t have extensive knowledge, just saying what I doo.

Still have and use the originals from the Spark when new, also picked up some spares that have never been used.
I wouldn't hesitate to use the originals still.

I use the master airscrew and find them verry good. Only thing is they don't fold so you have to remove them before putting the drone away

That said, a good 18 months ago I bought 2 sets of MAS stealth props, and as said above apart from being one piece and having to fit each flight, they are brilliant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme