Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Public Liability Insurance

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
I have had a good look at the Forum and online but can’t really find a definitive and up to date route to follow. I am looking for the above only, ie Public Liability cover eg if I fly into a human, animal or frankly anything that the owner could claim for what’s the best insurance to get here in the UK. I think you can get whole year cover or individual per-flight cover (how that works I don’t know). Most of the parks that you can fly in over here require PLI and my home insurance doesn’t cover it. I don’t want equipment cover. Any pointers much appreciated.

I recently looked at information on insurance after I watched a YT video when Ken Heron was going to fly over an abandoned highrise in Memphis. He got the necessary clearances and got insurance for that particular flight. I think he was using AirMap and the app asked if he wanted insurance. IIRC, he got a $1 million dollar coverage for $5 for the one flight. I have no idea how this translates to coverage in the UK, but Googling drone insurance should lead you to the information you need. Good luck!

I recently looked at information on insurance after I watched a YT video when Ken Heron was going to fly over an abandoned highrise in Memphis. He got the necessary clearances and got insurance for that particular flight. I think he was using AirMap and the app asked if he wanted insurance. IIRC, he got a $1 million dollar coverage for $5 for the one flight. I have no idea how this translates to coverage in the UK, but Googling drone insurance should lead you to the information you need. Good luck!
Thanks. I have AirMap so will have a look at this idea.

No way to know if this is bonefide, but you may want to dig deeper

Reactions: twickers14
Thanks all. Will investigate. It’s 20.40 here and have just been talking to my son on hols in San Francisco where it’s 12.40. Weird. He’s off to the NFL game tonight-wish I was there!

I have had a good look at the Forum and online but can’t really find a definitive and up to date route to follow. I am looking for the above only, ie Public Liability cover eg if I fly into a human, animal or frankly anything that the owner could claim for what’s the best insurance to get here in the UK. I think you can get whole year cover or individual per-flight cover (how that works I don’t know). Most of the parks that you can fly in over here require PLI and my home insurance doesn’t cover it. I don’t want equipment cover. Any pointers much appreciated.

Consider joining the British Model Flying Association.

Or FPV UK.

when Ken Heron was going to fly over an abandoned highrise in Memphis. He got the necessary clearances and got insurance for that particular flight. I think he was using AirMap and the app asked ...

The app he used is VERIFLY, available in the app stores and may be available to the USA only.

Check the site for details.

In the US, I am buying a Personal Articles Policy from State Farm, and it covers the Spark and accessories up to US$1600. Costs me 16 a month. My homeowners has liability in case I fly into someone's window, $5000 in MedPay, and a $1100 deductible. I am also a member of the US AMA, and that comes with insurance that is secondary to my homeowners. The UK probably has similar organizations. I am a hobby flier only. If you are flying for a business, called part 107 in the US, then none of the above insurances cover anything. I saw someone above mentioned VeriFly. That is a common commercial insurance carrier in the US. Don't know if they operate in the UK or not.

Rob

Hi I insure both my drones through Flycarus

For those on this side of the pond (ie North America) I found this list.... List of Drone Insurance Providers for USA and Canada - Updated 2019

If you are a recreational flyer. The cheapest way to go is by joining the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) They include a group policy that covers up to $2,500,000 personal liability, for its members. Membership is $75 per year $65 for senior over 65. A lot cheaper than buying insurance, by any other way that I have found. Plus you get their magizine, and other benifits.

Coverdrone is another UK drone insurance company. Covers fly-always as well
Not sure why their website is down, I have a policy with them which paid out with no issues but have had trouble getting hold of them recently hence other drone insured with Coverdrone

Liability insurance in Europe ... seems to be unavailable, unless you live there.
Presently you can fly a Spark in Switzerland (without the mandatory 1 million in liability,
which pretty much covers most of Europe)
Sparks weight [300 grams] is the key ... under the 500 gram threshold.

Not sure why their website is down, I have a policy with them which paid out with no issues but have had trouble getting hold of them recently hence other drone insured with Coverdrone
Have just signed up with Coverdrone. Seem well set up and soundly based. Hope I never have to claim. Many thanks for the pointer, much appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme