Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Liability Insurance

MoonLaker

Join
Feb 12, 2018
Today I asked my insurance agent about coverage for my drone and if my home owners liability coverage also includes use of the drone. He checked and found that my current carrier does not cover any damage to the drone, no big surprise - but much more alarming is that I have no liability coverage while operating it. The company treats it as an Aircraft and offers no liability protection while operating an aircraft.

We checked on four other home owner insurers and found that three of them have the same restriction as my current one. The fourth currently does extend liability coverage to model aircraft (drones) but cautioned that new requirements are coming in a manner of months. I'm pretty sure I know what that means.

I'm wondering how others are handling the liability aspect of our sport. Does your insurance give you coverage? Think 12,000 rpm prop to someone's eye.

Please post where you are located so the information is relevant. Also, would be helpful to post names of the insurers to help others.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this regardless.

I'm in Wisconsin. Current insurer is Partners Mutual. I believe QBE and United were two of the others - not sure of them all. Agent is still checking others out.

You are my hero! Seriously... I thought I was the only one concerned about liability insurance. A million threads and posts on various drone sites asking about drone insurance and what these people are only concerned about is replacing their lost $500-$1500 drone, not liability. I guess these people don't have any assets or a job with wages that could get garnished if they cause property damage or cause bodily harm...

So over a year ago I did a bunch of research. Back then, the major carriers said that home owner's policies "may" cover damages IF you were found to be NOT negligent. However, they said its on case-by-case basis. Not good enough for me. I was then told to purchase an umbrella policy which I did. I need to check if my umbrella policy still covers me... They may have changed it... I also did some research on very specific drone policies from companies that specialized in that type of insurance and those were pricey; basically 100 bucks a month. They were geared more towards commercial use of drones but would insure the hobbyist at the same price.

I am a member of the AMA which does have a very good insurance policy For the 75ish bucks a year its cheap. However, I've heard recent grumblings the AMA may be changing the policy so that it only covers you when you are flying in an approved flying field. But thats just talk right now... I'd do the AMA till you figure you want to do. Its better than nothing...

Today I asked my insurance agent about coverage for my drone and if my home owners liability coverage also includes use of the drone. He checked and found that my current carrier does not cover any damage to the drone, no big surprise - but much more alarming is that I have no liability coverage while operating it. The company treats it as an Aircraft and offers no liability protection while operating an aircraft.

We checked on four other home owner insurers and found that three of them have the same restriction as my current one. The fourth currently does extend liability coverage to model aircraft (drones) but cautioned that new requirements are coming in a manner of months. I'm pretty sure I know what that means.

I'm wondering how others are handling the liability aspect of our sport. Does your insurance give you coverage? Think 12,000 rpm prop to someone's eye.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast